Model Cars Magazine Forum

Goin' Uptown in Revell's Caddy STS-V and Charger SRT-8

Zoom Zoom

These are Revell's Uptown STS-V and Charger SRT-8 kits. Get past the horrid boxart and the dumb oversized rims and they're fairly respectable curbside kits. Lots of custom options that can be used w/other models.

I cut off the scissor door hinges on both models, shimmed the door edges as necessary w/sheet plastic, sanded to fit, and glued the doors in place.

Interiors have nice detail. Lots of good decals for these kits, including all stock emblems. I used Revell Magnum SRT-8 wheels on the Charger, and Aoshima 19" Racing Hart Type CR's on the Caddy. The Charger ends up looking stock, the Caddy w/it's two-tone and custom rims like a mild whip. Brakes are resin repops made by GTMike.

I added half-round styrene strips to the Caddy to make door handles (they're smoothed on the kits), sanded them a bit, and after it was painted I added dark gray and white washes above/below to give them 3D appearance. The Charger got it's doorhandles via my drawing program and custom decals, also helped w/some paint to give them 3D effect.

These were quick and dirty fun, far from perfect but enjoyable to build and display.

ChargerSRT8a-vi.jpg

ChargerSRT8b-vi.jpg

STSV1-vi.jpg

STSV2-vi.jpg

Thanks for the comments 8)

I really like the look of the Charger SRT-8, something about the combo of the fascia, hood scoop, 20" wheels, spoiler takes it far beyond the other Chargers which don't do much for me (base versions look pretty bland). What can I say, I tend to like a lot of cars that have very polarizing style.

I thought about making one into a coupe (including tunneled rear glass), just didn't think I could pull it off convincingly. The front end is too short/stubby for a coupe, and changing that is much more difficult and time-consuming.

I was going to skip out on the Charger, but your build looks so good I'll have to get one now. I like the 1:1, from the front doors forward. I'm not against the 4 doors, just don't like the design from the rear doors back, except for the taillights. I'll be making mine a fastback...somehow

I do have the STS, and if I can make mine look half as good as yours I'll be happy.

I thought about making one into a coupe (including tunneled rear glass), just didn't think I could pull it off convincingly. The front end is too short/stubby for a coupe, and changing that is much more difficult and time-consuming.

Still not one that likes the Charger, but your build is really nice! The Caddy really turned out sweet!!

The only way you could pull a convincing coupe conversion on the Charger is to move the greenhouse back and stretch the hood/cowl back to the base of the new windscreen position, leaving the front wheel arches right where they are.

I was just looking (and reading) closer and realized what you did with the door handles on the Caddy. That is a very nice bit of paint detailing. So much so that I thought you had ground it out... :shock: The Charger is a black and clear decal, I presume?

Thanks!

Yes, it's a black line drawing done in a drawing program w/a .005" line width. You can see the baggie w/the decals in it below the Charger in this picture:

IMG_0422-vi.jpg

I'm going to print up four more sets of door handles, two of which are spoken for (Khart and Bluebaja). If anyone else wants 'em PM me w/your address.

Both of these cars came out awesome. I bought the Charger and am itching to get started on it. I was kinda disappointed with the doors and lack of chassis detail, but I like the car and have not gotten the Testors version (yet). Great work!! :D Btw...is that your green Futura I see in the backround??

Both of these cars came out awesome. I bought the Charger and am itching to get started on it. I was kinda disappointed with the doors and lack of chassis detail, but I like the car and have not gotten the Testors version (yet). Great work!! :D Btw...is that your green Futura I see in the backround??

Thanks, the Futura was built by ACME member Ken Mosezar.

• 6 months later...