Model Cars Magazine Forum

So What is Your All Time Favorite Big Trucks

So, I was wondering what your all time favorite trucks is in terms of styling and looks. I am talking straight stock here - no modifications such as larger sleeper units or gobs of extra chrome. I am talking just as it left the factory. Let's include GM and Ford and Dodge along with KW, Mack, etc. and not necessarily in order of preference. If you want to put them in order of preference then that is fine too.. just say so in your post.

As for myself, I am really partial to the old conventional cabs of the '50's and early to mid '60s.

'49/50 COE GMC ( Cannonball style rigs )

58/59 Chev conventional cab tractors and straight jobs

60-66 GMC and Chevy conventional and forward design cabs

B Model Mack

Ford C model cab overs

Ford Louisville tractors and straight jobs

That is just a start.. I have a thing for any old truck actually but those are my favorites at a glance. :):):)

Edited by impcon

I have a mixture of favorite Rigs. From Heavy duty class with pick up cabs up to full blown newer style 18 wheelers. I grew up with my dad being a truckers and a good friend of mine. As a kid I loved riding around in a cabover. (International, Kenworth styles) But looks wise I have to give it up to the conventional. The long hood begs to personalised. I know your talking stock but you can do so much. I drove a Peterbuilt longnose (359) with a 3rd drop axle on I-90 and that was a blast. Old schoolers I like the trucks that resembled cabs you could have on heavy duty trucks such as the movie "Duel". Old Peterbuilts and Macks had this look. I also had an old Ford like this red one that I wanted to make look like a baby rig :) Cool topic! Here is one of my dads current trucks and Duel and the old Ford. 0530101736.jpg1215090131.jpg65Fordtruck.jpg

- Pete 359 (Surely the best looking US Coventional ever, especially the 1100 generation with all those 70's "funky" paint schemes :))...Guess not the only one around here ;)

- KW K100 Aerodyne COE (...Surely the best looking US COE ever, the early "Aerodymne look was so neat: BJ & THE Bear color/paint scheme combination was surely the best :) ....today Aero look not so).

- IH Lone Star (...Daring to be different & very well executed design :) )

- Freightliner FLT, COE, of the 70's (Nice paint schemes back then + massive look)

Finally the Ford CL 9000, COE, with all the trimings: polished aluminium, chrome, "Curvy" paint schemes was nice, was also quite a beauty for a big "corporation" product, back in the late 70's

In the Medium / Heavy duty line , without a doubt , the White C O E 's from 1948-53. These trucks were hands down the most streamlined and to me , best looking . I even know one guy who took one gutted the interior and Drag raced the darn thing in 1968. If I'm not mistaken , Car Craft magazine featured it . I guess my next favorite might be a G M C Astro 95. I guess thats the one truck I could actually abuse and it still ran halfway decent . Ed Shaver

I am talking straight stock here - no modifications such as larger sleeper units or gobs of extra chrome. I am talking just as it left the factory.

What's the problem with a large sleeper and gobs of extra chrome!?!? :mellow::P I think a big sleeper fits my Ford pretty good, and the extra chrome will add "bling"! :blink:

HPIM2155.jpg

Don't take it serious, Gary, I'm just yanking your chain. :D Ok, all joking aside, I like the addition of chrome and more lights than a Christmas tree, but that's me. Of course, even chrome and light crazy me likes a nice plain jane KW now and then!

I would have to say that my all time favorite is the Pete 379 Ext Hood. My dad had a '95 that had a 63" stand up sleeper and a Cummins N-14 500 under the hood. The local Cummins shop decided that since it was the first high torque, high HP engine that they had seen, they wanted to play. By the time that they were done it was putting 625 to the ground. Oh, did I mention that it was purple. Looked really good pulling that purple trailer across I-80. Wish I had a pic to post, will have to try to get one from Mom or Grandma.

Ok, now that I got a little joking out of my system, here are my all time favorites, all after the first one is in no particular order.

Freightliner Classic XL Condo, I drove two or three of these throughout my career, and love them!

Freightliner FLC, the 70's and early 80's models like the newly reissued Italeri kit

Kenworth W900, any years from the 70's to today

Ford LTL 9000, who couldn't guess?!? :mellow:

Mack Superliner

Mack R Models

Peterbilt 379, especially the last X models

Peterbilt 359

International 4300

International 9300

International 9900, 9900i

International Lonestar

GMC General

Chevy Bison

Western Star, but not the aero ones

any big wrecker

If you couldn't already tell, I'm a big, rugged, square hood type of guy! :P There's nothing like a big square hood with the aerodynamics of a brick to get my blood pumping. Don't get me wrong, I do have a few (very few) cabovers I like, and even drove one or two. I just like that big hood sitting out in front of me, because I never wanted to be the first one to the accident! :blink: Here's my small list of cabovers I do like.

Kenworth K100

Peterbilt 352

Peterbilt 362

White Freightliner, like AMT's dual drive kit

International Transtar II

Of course, I have to agree with Gary, I like the old B Model Macks in the antique category. The old Kenworth like the little Revell kit with the rounded nosed Freuhauf flatbed and missle is all that bad, either.

Interesting answers - Maybe this should have been a poll as to what make is the most well received.. I am thinking that the Pete would win that one hands down. I like lots of chrome and "personalization" too - don't worry Highway :D My heart is with the old stuff actually - old trucks have character and charm - they can be quite cute in their design. We have a '56 International snub nose that was my dad's. I'd LOVE to restore that one some day.. It's totally complete. The trouble is though, that the years are slipping past too quickly for me to do everything that I want to do. I'd have to live well into the next century to accomplish half the fantasies and dreams that I have. That probably sounds familiar to you "more mature" guys, eh? :lol:

Edited by impcon

Guest Johnny

To be honest I love them all! From the C-Cab Macks to the brand new trucks of today!

But my heart is with the 60's 70's and early 80's cabovers! I started out in a 4070 International Cab Over 318 Detroit 13 speed fuller trans. Could out run anything on the road, until you hit a hill!laugh.gif

Owned an International Transtar II Eagle for a short time! I just like the rough riding old CO's for some reason! The Newest was with CRST a set back axle International CO. The last was a late 70's International Transtar II hauling sod!

The classiest was a Peterbilt 352 Co. With a big Cat and a 15 speed roadranger!cool.gif

But no matter the make there is just something about a cabover that gets my attention. More so now because you see so few on te road anymore!

Almost forgot the Emoryville I drove for Red Ball Movers pulling an old round nose trailer!smile.gif

I just like the rough riding old CO's for some reason! The Newest was with CRST a set back axle International CO.

Well, it's no wonder you needed a hip replaced!!! B):lol::lol:

Was your CSRT one like this? :D

HPIM2305.jpg

Right now for me, being a newb to the truck modeling scene i'll say I really like the Chevy Titan/Gmc Astro whose style is what prompted me to buy the kit for my club build. Overall after ingesting much information on trucks in the last week, i'm pretty much a cabover guy...the uglier the better. I'm really digging the European single axle cabovers a lot..

Gray

Volvo F6-F12

Big Job fords! (all)

Budd C cab (ford and Mack N) FYI Evan Hermel mastered a N series Mack, its on its way to Dave at AITM.

Ford L series

Ford W series

GMC cracker box

Just about any daycab cab over.

Edited by RyanSilva

Pretty much any cabover old or new rock.

When it comes to a hood

FORD LTL9000

PETE 379EXHD

PETE 387 63" BUNK

THE NEW INTERNATIONAL LONESTAR

I ALMOST FORGOT 80-81 AUTOCAR...WE HAD 1 AT MY JOB AND THE MORE YOU LOADED THAT TRUCK THE MORE IT LIKED IT.

Edited by Mark R

In no particular order:

1. Krupp Titan

LKW_Krupp_Titan.jpg

2. Magirus-Deutz Rundhauber

01070708-Magirus-Sirius-90K-Pritschenkipper-blau-Ch-rot.jpg

3. Camions Bernard

bernard4.jpg

4. KrAZ-255

kraz255b_gr.jpg

5. UNIC Izoard

Unic%20Izoard%20(1).JPG

6. Berliet TBO

Berliet%20TBO%20(22-10-2005).JPG

7. Foden 'Mickey Mouse'

3687428890_9548270a76.jpg

8. Scammell Highwayman

scammell_rhp.jpg

9. Lancia Esatau

13%20%5B800x600%5D.JPG

10. Magirus-Deutz Uranus

Magirus-Deutz_Uranus_Tunesien.jpg

White freightliner COE

Frieightliner FLC

kenworth W900,early not a W900B.They were never called a W900A

International transtar 4300

GM 9500 long nose

I love the look of 70's trucks and paint schemes and the long wheelbase westerns are the coolest .

I love all the old kits coming back,so I can build my favorite eara in trucking

Kevin

Guest Johnny

Well, it's no wonder you needed a hip replaced!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Was your CSRT one like this? biggrin.gif

HPIM2305.jpg

Why I have a bad back too!laugh.gif

No, it was champaign gold not orange!wink.gif Yep, that was the one! Was almost like driving a conventional as far as the ride. But boy was it easy to spot a trailer with!cool.gif

No, it was champaign gold not orange!wink.gif Yep, that was the one!

Well, I know yours was gold! :lol: I can't help this was molded in pumpkin truck orange, because that's what it was supposed to be. :lol: Oh, I'm actually surprized you didn't ask where I found such a thing, believe it or not, that is a resin and metal HO scale kit for train layouts.

Guest Johnny

Well, I know yours was gold! laugh.gif I can't help this was molded in pumpkin truck orange, because that's what it was supposed to be. laugh.gif Oh, I'm actually surprized you didn't ask where I found such a thing, believe it or not, that is a resin and metal HO scale kit for train layouts.

I was going to asked and got side tracked and hit add reply too quick!laugh.gif

Kind of figured it was small scale truck. I have noticed a lot of great trucks have een made in 1/87th scale and not any other scale!