Model Cars Magazine Forum

So What is Your All Time Favorite Big Trucks

straycat, here. favorite road truck? lets see 1962 "emeryville"- 220 cummins (with a turbocharger) 262h.p.- 5spd. with a 3way- 3.70 gears in the rear- airbag third axle aluminum frame.this tractor weighed 11500lbs. 40 ft. g/d stainless steel reefer (nosemount unit). Florida to new york or florida to boston every week of the year, for about 10 yrs. 362 pete- 350 cummins- 13 over- 4.11 gears fullscrew.45' trailmobile- Same run about about 12yrs. 1994 freightliner conventional-425h.p. cat.10spd overdrive-3.55 gears 270 in. wheelbase airride,p/s p/w a/c.60in. walkin. Same run until 2001. sugar diabeties put me off the road Favorite one the "emeryville"(hands down)!! later, straycat.

My favorites are the KW K100 Aerodyne and the T800.

I've liked the K100 since I saw BJ & the bear as a kid but today, I can't stand that paint job. It's still an awesome truck. In fact, I'm currently building the AMT kit.

An '07 or so T800 is just a fine looking truck to me. It's on my build list :-).

Mike

• 2 months later...

Quite a few all time favorites for me in the big rig class!

Ford C-series medium duty COE (You know, the 'bucktoothed' '57 style)

Ford LTL series (The Lincoln Town Car of the Semi Tractors)

Ford Aeromax (The, uh... Lincoln Mark VIII of the Semi Tractors)

Internationals in General (From Loadstars to Payhaulers)

Any Ol' Diamond T or Diamond Reo

Ford H-Series Cabover (kind of like a C-series with platform boots)

And a few others probably too weird to post here...

I would have to say I'm partial to Freightliners especially the Midroof style classics.. But I like a good ol' 70's style Kenworth W900 just as much as the next guy. But my all time favorite truck would have to be Diamond Reo. Even when before Diamd T and REO joined together Diamond T trucks were really a flashy truck in the 40's and 50's. They were a truck that came from factory with lots of chrome. Some even had a Hercules motor in them which anymore is obsolete. Yea Diamond Reo is my all time favorite although I'm biast in the fact that I rode in one for my younger years. And COE trucks would be Mack Ultraliner from the 80's. Its interesting to see all the responses from everyone though.. I see alot of popular answers haha.

My favorites are the KW K100 Aerodyne and the T800.

I've liked the K100 since I saw BJ & the bear as a kid but today, I can't stand that paint job. It's still an awesome truck. In fact, I'm currently building the AMT kit.

An '07 or so T800 is just a fine looking truck to me. It's on my build list :-).

Mike

To me, it is the Bj and the Bear paint job that I like so much, It's by far my favorite rig and that's probably the main reason. Just love the look of that red and white rig with all that chrome pulling the 40ft Brown Co. Reefer with the 2-holes set all the way back on the trailer.

Things that make you go mmmmmm.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

This is easy.

Peterbilt 359 little window cab, extended hood with Clatterpillar 1693TA or Detroit 12V71.

Peterbilt 359 1100 series cab, extended hood with Cummins KTA 600.

Kenworth W900A extended hood with Cummins KTA 600.

To be honest I like all trucks, but these are my favourites.

Dave

Mine has always been the Kenworth W900 with the original style Aerodyne sleeper(with Cummins power). That being the one with sleeper roof just like Revell's snap KW kit.

Others that hold a special place with me are the R Model Mack, Pete 359(I like the 1100 series "Big Window cab" better), the 379 Pete, Autocars, and I always loved the old Freightliner FLC conventionals.

Edited by FlatbedKW

Ok, now that I got a little joking out of my system, here are my all time favorites, all after the first one is in no particular order.

Freightliner Classic XL Condo, I drove two or three of these throughout my career, and love them!

Freightliner FLC, the 70's and early 80's models like the newly reissued Italeri kit

Kenworth W900, any years from the 70's to today

Ford LTL 9000, who couldn't guess?!? :)

Mack Superliner

Mack R Models

Peterbilt 379, especially the last X models

Peterbilt 359

International 4300

International 9300

International 9900, 9900i

International Lonestar

GMC General

Chevy Bison

Western Star, but not the aero ones

any big wrecker

If you couldn't already tell, I'm a big, rugged, square hood type of guy! :blink: There's nothing like a big square hood with the aerodynamics of a brick to get my blood pumping. Don't get me wrong, I do have a few (very few) cabovers I like, and even drove one or two. I just like that big hood sitting out in front of me, because I never wanted to be the first one to the accident! :) Here's my small list of cabovers I do like.

Kenworth K100

Peterbilt 352

Peterbilt 362

White Freightliner, like AMT's dual drive kit

International Transtar II

Of course, I have to agree with Gary, I like the old B Model Macks in the antique category. The old Kenworth like the little Revell kit with the rounded nosed Freuhauf flatbed and missle is all that bad, either.

I agree with most of your list but I would add the following in no order 50s ford f 700 coe, 60s ford f 800/900 conv, HD 950/1000 series coe,ford N series and ford Ws,ltls,C cabs 600 and up.

GMCs crackerbox,B 7000,C 70s of the 60s,steelecab coes,9500 longhood,astro 95.

cannonball coe,920 conv.general with 8v92 540hp 13sp.

autocar 60s DC, 90s ACL64f,autocar AP 19,mormon coe110,Hayes WHX 1000 with a 16v71

mack B73Lcab,B815,R685st,RL700s,75 superliner,70s MRmodel,mack M36sx.

72White roadboss,4500longhood,9000shorthood,7000coe,60s white mustang/9000 with a 200 contannal gasser,

60s white compact 1500????,76 white westernstar 60s dodge coe,dodge D900,70s brockway 760with walkin sleeper.

IH D190coe,4070 coe,2070a,70s fleetstar,loadstar,4300,9300,paystar 5000,3000 sightliner coe.

KW W900B,900L,K125 VIT coe,993 heavy haul,900S,C 548.most of the 60s,70s reos,diemond ts.

late 70s Rader royal,75 diemond reo like AMTS kit with a cat 1693&16sp spicer.

petebuilt 362H,359x,377with standup sleeper and a365cummins,378,1981 387 heavy haul.

• 9 months later...

Interesting choices! Here are mine: (mind you, I never drove trucks, I just happen to like them...)

Modern classic: Kenworth W900L

Modern Aero: International Prostar

Old school Aero: Freightliner FLD 120

Old School Cabover: GMC Astro with SS wide grill, Ford CL 9000 and Peterbilt 362-110

Old School Conventional: Ford LTL 9000 and later style Peterbilt 359 with square headlights and 1100 cab.

One thing I miss from the older trucks: the OEM style stripes... Really bold designs from just about every manufacturer, especially

Peterbilt and Freightliner with the multicolor schemes and Kenworth for their K100 Salem scheme (BJ and the Bear)

and the W900 Seminole scheme (Watkins). GMC, Ford, International and Western Star all had beautiful choices.

Edited by Z06Bob