Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevelle Wagon Update 7/26: Painted

Railfreak78

All the guys that have been rebuilding Hot Wheels lately have sparked my interest. I have desided I am going to start with this being I love wagons. Here are my "before" pics and it is apart and in the purple pond right now.. Enjoy! DSC04310.jpgDSC04309.jpgDSC04307.jpgDSC04308.jpgDSC04316.jpgDSC04306.jpg

Edited by Railfreak78

I started back in on this car today after it was in the purple pond. I got it down to bare metal then primed it. It has a Kylon chrome ( comes out silver btw ) base coat with a candy type of green with several small coats. I'll get the name of it later, I left it at work. The first picture after paint is a mock up with the front tires only from the donor car and then a picture with the rears to make this a pro- touring or pro street style. I had to modify the frame and interior to make these puppies fit in the wheel wheel. I also modified the wheel wells. The last few pics are with it actually mocked up and BMF started. I messed it up on a few spots on BMF and will have to redo them. So Hot Wheels fans I hope you like it so far. More to come :PDSC04344.jpgDSC04345.jpgDSC04350.jpgDSC04353.jpgDSC04363.jpgDSC04364.jpg

It's safer to use other chemicals (aircraft stripper, etc) on metal to avoid damage.

I used lacquer thinner on one I just stripped. I soaked it for a bit, then went after it with a brass bristle wire brush. Came out really clean, but there were some serious mold lines to clean up...

Chevelle is looking good. I like the color.

Thanks guys. Mark thanks for the info as well. I had no idea. Maybe I got lucky with this one as my tank is mixed with brake fluid or just got lucky period. I didn't leave it in a long time either I just kept hitting it with a tooth brush. There was a couple indentations on the front doors I did not remember being there and covered with heavy paint so I think I pulled it out JUST in time :rolleyes: Thanks for the heads up before I do another one.