Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you display your builds

Mine are just on the shelves behind the glass doors of my entertainment center. Light is low, so visibility sucks, but anyone here interested in looking at them gets the 'grand tour' as I take them out for a better look, and I've seen em before, so I'm not too worried about the light. I won't say they're dust free, but they are MUCH cleaner than any that have been on an open shelf.

Scott, I used to have a beautiful antique bookcase that had adjustable shelves that was given to me by my Grandmother upon her death. Well, I made the desision to return to the Metroplex and I had to sell it to raise expenses . The cabinet had glass doors . I got a decent price for it and I regret having to sell it as the position I accepted in Arlingotn never worked out to my satisfaction. I wound up returning here to Virginia . Being as I used to manufacture cabinets for vans and a few select customers in Deep Elum , I just never got around to building a duplicate . For what it's worth, the cabinet measured 4et X 6ft X 10in. Ed Shaver

This year is the first year of having completed models since a large collection of mine was destroyed. This is all I have but one more kit and I will need to buy another case as well. I found this at a yard sale and has a light in it. Here is what I've done since december and a few more are close. Even if I don't have room the drawers under this part, will keep them in storage and dust free. The glass part lets some in but not a lot. DSC04037.jpg

Like a lot of topics on this forum this one seems to come up every six months or so and I have posted this pic before but will again. I have built 3 display cases out of 1/8' clear acrylic. They are are stackable and on top of a bookcase in my office/build/spray paint room. At first I was going to hinge the front or top but I could not get a good seal so I decided to just "wedge" a tight fitting piece of acrylic between the top and bottom pieces, stopping it against the end pieces. Works very well, haven't dusted in over a year. The knob you see in the pic is for pulling the front cover out for access to the models.

post-5156-12802871335522_thumb.jpg

Edited by modelercarl

I have few display cases that were passed to me from work rather than making it to the dumpster. 2 Small glass ones that have hinged doors and fit around 6 to 8 models each, and one 6'x2'x2' tall lighted case that I put my "best" stuff in (you've all seen a couple Ferrari's displayed in it). My girlfriend hates it, but what can you do?, I love looking at my newest creations!!! She'll get over it!!! I'm gonna run outta room sooner or later though, guess we'll just need a bigger house.

pretty much one whole wall in our lounge is taken up by model cars, centre wall the wuite cabinet is 6'x5' by 7'deep

cabinet1.jpg with a slightly smaller case on top and at either end of that are two 3'x3'x 1' cabinets,only have a pic of one at the moment

cabinet2.jpg

above this one is a built in one about 3'x20"x1'

cabinetjens.jpg

and above the unpictured one is another 3'x3' 1' which is the wifes one. I only have room for about 5 more cars but have a few hundred to build yet.

Ikea has some really nice glass cases. They run about $60, and you can buy a lighting kit for another $11. The only drawback to them is the fact that there are only 3 shelves, but there is a fix for that. I went to a glass shop and had some extra shelves cut and then to the plastic supply place and had 3/4" acrylic dowels cut to act as standoffs for the new glass. My cases now have seven shelves and hold a lot more models. If you've priced glass cases, you know what a bargain that is.

I made this from those shelves you get @Lowes. the outer ones are 10" deep while the ones inside are 8" (maybe its 12" and 10"). I used some metal track and glass for the sliding doors. I can add more shelves if and when I need to.

100_1038.jpg

Mike

Mine are kept in the cheap plastic cases inside a bigger open front case. It does the job.

DSC09907-vi.jpg

DSC9904-vi.jpg

I'm sure there are a few old O.V.S.M. show awards in all those somewhere, Gary! ;)

Hi, buddy! :lol:

Geez Gary, that case is chock full o great cars and awards.

I have no place to put mine so they go back in their boxes and I break out another.

I have a case in mind, but they are so bloody expensive I may end up making it. I wouldn't say I have Norm Abram skills, but I know my way around a table saw and router table.

Perhaps someday.

Bob

• 1 month later...

I used to display my builds in a glass case I purchased from Ikea it was really nice but it wasnt air tight so dust would settle on my models and before too long they were looking old. so now i just keep them in tuperware type containers untill its time to show em at a show then I place em on mirrored turntables.

showdat012.jpg

finishedunderglass006.jpg

i try to keep them all in some sort of display case even if it's the plastic ones. very few cases are "dust free" as most don't seal but there are some out there. Ikea has cases that are labeled as dust free if you look for them. dust is killer

ZSgarageZTmadness071.jpg

i've been out of room for awhile and picked up a case recently with some broken glass. the doors on the side of that one have some gaps but i should be able to get some new glass pieces cut that fit tight when they are closed.

Dave

Hey Dave whens your next 50% off sale and do you have a mailing list for coupons I'd like to put my name on the list, and do you ship by the package or pound? LOL! Just kidding buddy! :P:D:huh:

I use the typical plexi cases that mount to a wall. Got mine at the Toledo show several years ago and they were made by Carney plastics,but there a pretty much standard design offered by many.If you do go for them look locally to save on shipping.

Most any case can be made virtually dustless by using a vinyl weather stripping product by 3M(shameless plug) or many others. It's a vinyl self adhesive strip that you apply to the inside edges.

Here is a display cabinet I found out behind our hospital. I think it was destined for the trash, a refugee from their optical department.

DSC00002-vi.jpg

Unfortunately, the doors on both the front and back are missing. The clear plexi goes up each side. The photo I took in my carport before we brought it inside. I use this one to display my presidential limousine collection.

DSC00004-vi.jpg

Most of my built models go in a curio cabinet. It has a light at the top, but not a halogen bulb; just your standard 40w. also has a mirrored back, and twin doors. It was a return to a store... has a small crack in the door wood frame from the screw, and it is hidden when the door is closed. It's a full height cabinet. I had a glass shop make more shelves for me. These things run about $500 new; I got it for $30. Not bad, eh?!

DSC00012-vi.jpg

There are a lot of the O.V.S.M ones around. You need to get that club going again.

I figured there were, Gary. Believe me, I'd like to see O.V.S.M. come back, too, but there are only about two or three of us that I know of that are even still building. ;) Maybe someday, though!