Model Cars Magazine Forum

TSUNAMI

Steve Keck

Recently there was question ask about why we post. Well, in considering my answer to that question it occurred to me I don't post many pictures of my in-process or finished models because of the hassle involved. For me it's find the back-up dics or jump drive where the originals are stored, select which ones to upload to Photobucket, do that, then download the links there to this topic. I'd just rather look at other peoples' builds.

A new question was posted asking for our favorite build and limiting the response to one picture. So the rest get posted here.

This is my TSUNAMI cobbled from two Tamiya Toyota Supras; one street version and one from the 1995 Japanese GT Car Championships. I was influenced by the cars I saw on the streets of southern California. I wanted to build the baddest ________(insert your own nouns and adjectives here). This was finished in 2003 and I sure the movie Fast & Furious influenced the build.

The interior tub and engine compartment came from the street version. They were grafted to the Castrol Tom's SupraGT body. Parts of the roll cage were used where practical. Seats were cast from the Tamiya Subaru WRC car. The hood louvers, rear spoiler and some of the ground effects were from a Veilside version of the Supra. The rear clip, from the corners back, and below the trunk lid, is from a Revell Ferrari Modena sectioned 1/2 inch down the center - it almost fell into place.

The GT version is a curbside so I used the straight six from the street version. I scratch built the intercoolers and scavenged parts for the turbos and K&N filter. The tower brace was scratch built from sheet aluminum and connected to PE parts. ScaleMaster provided the decals, gas filler and stereo amps.

Paint is HOK black with gold pearl powder under urethane clear.

Thanks for looking!

Supra6of.jpg

Supra5of.jpg

Supra4of.jpg

MVC-906F.jpg

MVC-881F.jpg

MVC-888F.jpg

MVC-903F.jpg

MVC-884F.jpg

MVC-897F.jpg

please correct me if Im wrong, but i believe i saw this car in a show here in southern california in Ontario. Your car is the car that inspired me to step up my building. I had just broken my hip in a 5 story fall from a balcony and I had just finished a 280zx build that I thought was prize worthy.......Well i took one look at this sitting on the table and removed my entry (ashamed yet now inspired). I dont know if you remember me but I was the black guy on the walker asking you a ton of questions, I want to thank you for building such a clean model you truly inspired me to new levels of building! :D

Edited by Aftashox

Yes Steve, PLEASE POST MORE OF YOUR WORK!!!!!!

I think if you would do a WIP thread, you might even give Romell a run for his money! ;)

A run for my money????... BRO this is the model that inspired me to build the way i do now! this car is excellent and so is its builder! :D

please correct me if Im wrong, but i believe i saw this car in a show here in southern california in Ontario. Your car is the car that inspired me to step up my building. I had just broken my hip in a 5 story fall from a balcony and I had just finished a 280zx build that I thought was prize worthy.......Well i took one look at this sitting on the table and removed my entry (ashamed yet now inspired). I dont know if you remember me but I was the black guy on the walker asking you a ton of questions, I want to thank you for building such a clean model you truly inspired me to new levels of building! :D

5 story fall.. thats nuts. good thing it was just your hip. My friend fell from 6. he was in a coma for a bit. got a fake hip and shoulder. but made a full recovery and he can still shread on his Guitar. Glad that you are ok too.

I REALLY like this car! The body mods you describe all come together in a beautiful looking car. That black paint is smooth and it must look even better in person. The engine compartment looks as good as the body!

Beautiful build! :lol:

A run for my money????... BRO this is the model that inspired me to build the way i do now! this car is excellent and so is its builder! :lol:

Now, see, I learned something today! Romell, both you and Steve are great builders, and shows how great this forum is! Steve's build was an inspiration to you, and seeing your Chevelle build in progress and also Steve's great build is an inspiration to me to start improving my skills more! :lol::lol:

All this cheap fawning and gushing praise. Sheeesh!

I see one critical fault that no one has chosen to acknowledge while heaping lavish kudoes on Mr. Keck's Tsunami. Where's the constructive criticism? I mean, where's the honesty? Is it absent because he's a master? Is it absent because he's in a clique (or 'click,' as it would usually be spelled)? Is it absent because he has a posse of "buddies"? Is it absent because no one can really figure out that last name or whether he's really from Arizona or California? Or is it absent because he's folically-challenged? What's causing this?

Unlike everyone else who is afraid to be brutally honest, I'll man up and point out the obvious fault:

Hey, Steve, that dude's dusty!

Bwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :rolleyes: Ppbbbbbbbbbbbbbffffffffffffffffffttttttttttt! :lol:

[DISCLAIMER: For the sake of anyone reading this who is logically-challenged in any form of cerebral processing, this entire post was satirical and delivered in a style intended to be interpreted as purely tongue-in-cheek, to state it in colloquial terms. In other words, just kidding!]

PS: Seriously, seriously nice build my friend! I mean, seriously.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Unfortunately it has not aged well. Some of the bodywork has ghosted through. That was the last time I used Krylon primer.

And, Gregg, everyone is correct. It's a Supra, not a Celica.

Yes, it was on a cover of MCM way back when.

And, no, I'm not ignoring Romell. We've been trading PM's.

And, I won't ever attempt a WIP documentary like Rommel.

Here's my complete WIP:

MVC-098F.jpg

And Danno, for those of us who know you we realize how easy it is for you to Man Up. You're a big man! And watch what you say. I know where you live. I'll drive by with my clique, my possse, and my folicals, both of them. LOL!

I still have the issue the car appeared in. I went out and bought the very same kits the next week with intentions of building a similar ride. I just traded the kits to Modlbldr, but your Supra still remains one of (actually, THE) favorite Import builds of mine. It was awesome to see it again.

As awesome as the pictures are of this build, seeing it in person is so much better. I had the pleasure to see and compete up against it during my first trip to Salt Lake back in 2003. Of course I didn't fare too well against it considering that it pretty much blew away everything in the custom category that year.