Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bonneville/Pikes Peak Group Build

remingtonbox

Well... lets kick this baby off!

First off, anything mild to wild welcome.

Remember for the Bonneville side, you want to go as fast as possible... smooth and powerful is the name of the game here. Also, this is highly open to interpretation, if you have a semi with 4 Cat engines... I am sure there is a class, if you have a motorbike powered by raw eggs, there will be a class for that also! Also, remember safety is paramount... SCTA officals check everything!

As far as the Pikes Peak side, this is a wild, hopefully sub-12 minute, dash up Pikes Peak in Colorado. The terrain varies widely, the start is on pavement, transitions to dirt and back and forth the whole way up... if you want inspiration look up the Pikes Peak Suzuki XL-7 on Google. Same thing with safety here.

Lets say that the project has to be less than 25% complete or a rebuild.

Oh yes, the classes

Bonneville – Anything raced at Bonneville... remember that nearly anything flies!

Pikes Peak – anything that can be raced up the mountain... Rhys Millen has raced up the mountain in a Pontiac Solstice... very close to the same car that he drifts in, so that is also open to interpretation.

Either PM me here or send me an email with a. your real name b. username c. the model and scale and finally d. the classification to remingtonbox at yahoo dot com.

Oh yes, one rule: HAVE A BLAST BUILDING YOUR CONTRAPTIONS!

If anyone has anything to add, suggestions, comments... be my guest.

I also like Jarius' idea of a photo contest... Lets say 3 photos for the final submission, at least one has to be in the vehicles natural habitat (Photoshop, diorama, whatever) I will find something to throw in as a prize. Sound good?

Post renderings, pictures, ideas, trash talk, bench race, imagineer...

Like I said, above all, HAVE FUN!

The Entry List:

1 – Remington Box - remingtonbox – Bonneville - '34 Chevy
2 - Dan Baker - danno - Pikes Peak - '56 Chevy factory stocker
3 - Dan Baker - danno - Pikes Peak - Leonard Vahsholtz Expedition
4 - Dan Baker - danno - Pikes Peak - John Buffum Audi Quattro
5 - Remington Box - remingtonbox - Pikes Peak - Chevrolet SSR
6 - Davin Blackburn - mopar01lee - Bonneville - '69 Daytona Charger
7 - Matthew Brownlee - highway - Bonneville - '34 Ford Roadster
8 - Shane Gans -txrat - Bonneville
9 - Brian Wiltbank - railfreak78 - Pikes Peak - Jesse James '88 Blazer

Edited by remingtonbox

I'm in! I already have the ideas flowing! :)

September 1 will be after Jarius' airplane deal is over...

By the way, that is actually over on Sept 22, but I'd figure most would be done before that, anyway! :D

I'm in. At least a couple of entries; I'll get back on that.

But, for starters:

Pikes Peak - '56 Chevy factory stocker

Pikes Peak - Leonard Vahsholtz Expedition

Pikes Peak - John Buffum Audi Quattro

If I get really frisky, I'll conjure up a John Wells Coyote.

I am planning on building a Salt Lake Racer from the vacuum form body Peter Lombardo sent out to all/any interested parties...

don't know what to call it yet, but it's gonna be powered by the Allison engine from the Revell Parts Pack Kit.

So this group build works just fine, count me in as well...

My entry will be, for the Bonneville part anyway, is going to be a wild 34 Ford. I'll be using a Jimmy Flintstone's 34 Ford Roadster body and some parts from two of the AMT 70 Coronet Super Bee pro street kits.

Here's the body,

HPIM1723.jpg

and the kits for parts.

HPIM1852.jpg

Sure wish I could do this. I've been wanting to build a Bonneville car ever since I visited the place 5 years ago. I might just jump in later, though......if I get some other projects finished.

Just to fire some of you guys up and give you some inspiration, here's a little "Bonneville Salt Flats" slideshow......and you can truly see how varied the cars can be!

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bville-cars-3/phpslideshow.php?directory=.&auto=1&currentPic=1

Edited by roadhawg

I certainly want to join this build as I have wanted to do this build for a long time. Before someone else grabs it I am posting what I'm hopefully doing. I PM'd so I hope to be accepted and I will collect the kits and parts to make this Jesse James Pikes Peak Blazer from Monster Garage. Let me know if I am in and I will start parts hunting. JesseJamesBlazer.jpg

I ordered the kit and the 10000000000000' of brass tubing yesterday... hopefully it will be here by the end of next week!

And railfreak78, I was insinuating that I could help you with the design and printing of the decals... sometimes, in my old age, I get senile and forget to put what I really mean... sorry

Edited by remingtonbox

• 1 month later...