Model Cars Magazine Forum

Would There be any Interest?

Any interest in a full detail kit of something like this?

1973_Pontiac_Grand_Am_SD-455_Prototype.jpg

hppp_0302_03z+1973_Pontiac_Grand_Am+White_Roof_Passenger_Side_Rear_View.jpg

JH%20Joe%27s%20Can%20Am.jpg

While at the IPMS International Convention last night, I had a nice, long visit with a Revell factory rep who seems very interested in exploring interest in expanding useage of the current Cutlass 442/upcoming Cutlass Supreme line. A couple of possibilities mentioned include a hardtop Rallye and the Pontiac Grand Am / Can Am.

102813-bigthumbnail.jpg

What thinks you? (If it interests you, let 'em know.)

I'd be down for anything on this page and certainly the Grand Prix. As started before the kit should be released stock with the option to make the Can -AM. It's been awhile since I've looked but I knew where one was for sale here locally for $2,000 with the 6.6L and those slats in the windows. Not sure if it's Can Am since it's in primer. I think they are cool looking cars. I'd buy a few kits.

I'm not sure that there wouldn't be a market for those A bodies. People are hot for most anything that hasn't been kitted to death already. I'd like to see somebody give it a try. If it's a quality product, it just might stand a chance. There are two kits that I've never seen good 1/25 scale glue kits of; the mid-seventies Grand Prix and Monti Carlos (I think that there's a snap kit of the Monti). These were both very popular cars, especially the Monti Carlo, and I would think that a good quality kit of it would sell.

Besides the Rallye/442 hardtop. I think Revell would be better served by using those underpinnings to bring us new tools of the following first, before the 73 & later "A" bodies:

68-72 Chevelle SS & 70-72 GTO. The latter car virtually cries out for new tooling, as the old MPC annual based GTO kit has gotten far too long in the tooth to be viable anymore.

:lol:

Funny you should say that, because a '69 Chevelle was mentioned as well. GTO's? Dime a dozen, but a really correct one? Hmmm. Could be.

And, not to start any rumors, but also mentioned was ... a '57 Chevy Bel Air convertible.

Again, all POSSIBLE future projects but dependent on consumer reaction/response. Hmmm. :D;)

Edited by Danno

Can someone please tell me what the year/model is that white with red stripes Pontiac in the largest pic?

I've never seen that car before yet it looks so familiar because of the lines in the body.

Would I like to see one available as a kit? YEAH!!!

There's something about that car that makes it look like an overgrown Holden!

I love it!! :D

Guest Johnny

Well I do know for a fact there is one less Can-Am than were produced!

The wifes brother-in-law bought one in NC (forget the twn) and was heading home to his sisters house in Wheeling WV when he made a stop at a little bar and grill for a late supper!

He picked up on a pool game that took him well into the wee morning hours and then headed out about 2 grand richer than when he arrived! But he was also a whole lot less sober.

He was less than two mile from home when he lost control. They estimated he was still traveling in excess of 90MPH when he hit the tree, with the roof of the car!!!

I have never seen a car bend that far before.

The police called him in DOA the ambulance was on a slow run back in when the attendant heard him gasp for air, behind him and immediatly started treatment!

8 months hospital stay in a body cast and another year in a convalecent home and one less Pontiac Can-Am! Had three miles on it when he picked it up.

I think there would be quite a bit of interest within the Pontiac collectors but that would not be enough to warrant a production run.

Maybe a resin?

I could be wrong but I thoght the GTO version of that body style was produced at one time!

Edited by Johnny

I agree w/ Mark... to a limit. If they can justify spending tooling money for midget racers, they could certainly justify the CanAm. Also factor in some basic truths... for the sake of their business to keep moving forward, they must make new tooling from time to time. They have had some success... and some flops. Same can be said for many businesses. I tend to discount any claims that the kit manufacturers have a crystal ball that helps them choose "winners".

Also factor in the almost certain fact that the average model car builder has a better chance of having sat in, or even seen the CanAm, as compared to the Midget.

I'm not bashing the Midget race cars; I am just making a comparison of familiarity between the two subjects.

As cool as a kit of the CanAm would be, I think there are indeed better selling ideas out there. How about more convertible retools of existing kits, such as the Mustang?

As for a Gran Prix, well mabye . The Rallye Oldsmobile 350 was a fabulous car! I sold the Grash , uh Grand Ams new . Sorry but I was never a fan of any "colonade " G M car . Darn things were extremly Garish, poorly put together and in my opinion just junk . I went to trucks to have something dependable to drive . Ed Shaver

I love those Grand Am's, Can Am's, and mid-70's Monte Carlos and Grand Prix. Also the Laguna S3. If there's a way they can make them with some sort of common tooling so each kit isn't new from the ground up, then that's a good sign we might get some of the better looking cars from the "malaise era".

RMR Resin will be producing a 77' Can AM. Same body style as the Grand AM. It's supposed to be released sometime in September.

True. And I am looking forward to it!

That's a good thing, as I wonder whether a styrene kit would ever come to pass; however, I'm really happy to hear that Revell is (A) showing some interest in these possibilities, (:lol: willing to explore and discuss further products of interest to adult modelers, and © seriously engaged in listening to us!

That's all gotta be good for us as well as for Revell. :lol: