Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/Model King 1/25 '50 Austin Gasser

S. Svendsen

BOTH great builds,I already have two of them from the old days,so I wouldn't bother with another one,EXCEPT for those DECALS!!! They're THE MOOK! Just might hafta get one just for THOSE! They weren't the easiest kits to build,but you guys sure did a wizz-bang job on 'em! The box art ALONE should sell a ton of 'em!!!GREAT BUILDS!!! :D:D

It's great to see the Austin back in someones line-up. That always seems to be the kit that sells the best and commands the highest prices when they are no longer sitting on the shelves at the LHS.

I like the idea of including the grille and headlights, those are great additions to the decal sheet.

Sean and Dave -

When do you think this will be in the hobby stores....may want to use those "High Roller" decals on a project currently underway....thanks TIM

I don't know an exact date yet, but judging from past projects with Revell, I'd guess they would be in stores mid next year.

If you consider '1999 or 2000' not too long ago, yeah, it hasn't been too long! :D;)

It was early 2004 for it's last reissue. I did a review build for "the other mag" when it came out. It was always a nice kit to build even though it had some finicky parts (like most of the Revell gasser style kits had) mainly with the opening doors and the tilting front clip. Otherwise a great kit with excellent detailing potential. Now we get it again with excellent decals.

Sean,

You need to go in the business of decals. I heard a lot of buzz at last weekends kit swapmeet here in so cal about your decals. The consistent buzz was that we all just want your decals.

Dwayne J

Thank you for the compliment. I've thought about doing decals as a business a couple of times. Trouble is I've already got a good job and I'm not sure I want to turn my hobby into a business. We'll see. Maybe some day.

It was early 2004 for it's last reissue. I did a review build for "the other mag" when it came out. It was always a nice kit to build even though it had some finicky parts (like most of the Revell gasser style kits had) mainly with the opening doors and the tilting front clip. Otherwise a great kit with excellent detailing potential. Now we get it again with excellent decals.

I've never seen the 2004 issue of the kit, Wayne, but thanks for setting me straight! :) I've got several of the '99/'00-ish issues in my stash (maroon car on the box), and this is one of my all-time favorite kits!

I've never seen the 2004 issue of the kit, Wayne, but thanks for setting me straight! B) I've got several of the '99/'00-ish issues in my stash (maroon car on the box), and this is one of my all-time favorite kits!

I visited my storage unit yesterday evening- looks like ALL of the Austin kits I have are 2003 copyrights! Funny, I could've sworn I bought a couple when I was still in high school.

Long story short- it hasn't been as long as I thought!

Now I wonder what kit I was thinking of...

• 8 months later...

Here's the Model King re-issue of the Revell '50 Austin Gasser, just now hitting the shelves. It's got snappy new box art and decal sheet done by Sean Svendsen.

I don't know much about Austins, but the model looks well proportioned to me and very realistic once assembled. The only problem in assembly I can remenber was getting the front end tilt hinges to work properly. I wound up just abandoning the hinges and displaying the model with the front end propped in the open or closed position, which works fine. The rest of he car, including the opening doors, assembles lke a charm. The box art models were built by Sean (the black model) and me (the green one shown here). Mine is done with a mix of Limetime pearl and Lime Gold pearl, both House of Color paints from Black Gold. It's clear-coated with over-thinned urethane clear.

austin1.jpg
austin2.jpg
astn3023.863.jpg

austin5.jpg
austin6.jpg
austin7.jpg

Edited by Casey

Nice build.

The problem with that kit as well as the Willys Pick Up and the Henry J is the frame. This is designated a gasser. NHRA rules required a stock type frame which meant rectangular frame. These all share a round tube frame which would automatically make this an altered.

Mike

Tom, very nice buildup. Your paint work is superb. I did a review build of the last time this kit was released around 2005 for that "other" mag. and other than what you stated above the only other finicky issue with this build was getting the doors to assemble properly where they would open and close without any problems. I mean, if you want to pick apart all of the inaccurate parts included in the kit regarding it's gasser status then you can do that but otherwise it's a pretty good kit from back in the day. I look forward to purchasing another one, if for no other reason than to get a set of those great looking decals.