Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 AMC Gremlin

The Gremlin has been painted since my last update. Three coats of Testors Big Bad Blue lacquer topped with a liberal amount of Tamiya TS-13 Clear Gloss. Like Bob Downie and others have posted, this paint did not shoot well from the can. It went on kinda thick and the occasional blob of paint flew from the nozzle to the body. Since Big Bad Blue is a non-metallic color, I resolved the issues with a color sanding session using 3600 Micro Mesh. The result was a slick base for the Tamiya clear which won't need much polishing. My plan is to black out the taillight panel, front grille and door frames. Now, if I could just figure out that Levi's upholstery in 1:25 scale! Enjoy the pics.

DSCN0407-vi.jpg

DSCN0408-vi.jpg

DSCN0411-vi.jpg

I still think I'd prefer chrome bumpers, but I think the rest is spot-on perfect.

Chrome bumpers would work here, but I didn't want to do Alclad and I'm not ready to send a batch to Little Motor Kar for plating. I also wanted to mimic the look of the 1969 Big Bad Javelin and AMX with the painted bumpers.

1969-AMC-Big-Bad-AMX-fa-lr.jpg

Tonight, I finished detailing the front grille and headlight area. I masked and painted the grille and headlight buckets with Tamiya TS-6 matt black, then I highlighted the openings of both with a silver Sharpie. Covered the turn signals with BMF and painted Tamiya clear orange. Headlights are MV Lenses. Enjoy the pics!

DSCN0412-vi.jpg

DSCN0413-vi.jpg

Marc, do the MV lenses come with the reflective coating already applied on the back or are they just a clear lens?

I have heard about them but never seen them, just curious as to what they were and how to use them.

Do you have a preferred vendor for these and is there a reference to what size is needed for 1/25 headlights?

This afternoon, I began to make some progress on the 401 that will reside under the Gremlin's hood.

DSCN0427-vi.jpg

Block is painted with Tamiya Light Blue Metallic, heads and tranny with Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver. Headers sprayed with Testors Stainless Steel buffing metallizer. Chrome intake from the AMT Matador NASCAR painted with Testors Flat Clear Acryl. Distributor is from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland and the Holley carb from Bandit Resins. Chrome rocker covers are from a Johan SC/Rambler. A chromed Moroso air breather will fit atop the Holley.

Enjoy!!!

Found some quality bench time this weekend with the Gremlin. Painted the door window frames and rear tail panel with Tamiya TS-6 Matt Black, polished the paint and applied BMF. Also detailed and installed the taillights.

DSCN0437-vi.jpg

DSCN0432-vi.jpg

DSCN0433-vi.jpg

I still need to apply a black wash to the door handles and the Gremlin logo on the rear gas cap(?).

Enjoy the pics!

Due to popular demand, Bandit Resins will be casting the seats and chassis for the Gremlin. Most of the engine in the AMT Matador NASCAR kit is the same engine from the Gremlin kit, but you'll need to look to the parts box for manifolds, etc.

i will check with my son he has several AMC PACER kits and might have a amc v8 engine i think some pacer models had the 6 in them