Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm cheap (broke), made my own "metalizer."

I'm working on an mid 60's altered and hated the chrome wheels (from the SWC/Big John Willys)on the car since it's kind of a crude-ish garage built race car. Being a single income household and having a late model 2009 Baby Boy GT (fully loaded no less) to keep running, I'm really limited on what I can spend on plastic and supplies.

For paint I always use Krylon for colors ($2.24 a can) and the really cheap flat/semi gloss blacks ($0.97 a can.) I could afford some of the testors and tamiya paints, but can't justify buying a little can for more than I'd lay out for a big can. I also don't have an airbrush, and more than likely never will unless I "pick one up" to "use on our tools" while I'm at work next time (ever spray paint in your kids sand box?)

That being said, I don't use the metalizers that seem so popular here...but have kinda been wanting to.

This brought me to aisle X of my local wal-mart, the spray paint aisle. Picked up Krylon "smoke grey" and the Krylon "Brilliant Silver (chrome.") I tested it one some spare parts box wheels and LOVED it. Here's the method.

I did it over chrome because for some reason I've been having bad luck with bleach to strip chrome. Some of my DD chrome has been in there almost a week and only one side is stripped! I'm ADHD like crazy, as well as being a "instant gratification modeler" so I didn't want to wait around to strip these anyways.

I started with a very light coat of "smoke grey" followed about 5 minutes later by a fairly heavy coat. While the smoke grey is still wet I dusted with the "brilliant silver" and ta-da, metalizer for less than $5, and enough of it to do two whole kits if you wanted to!

I'm working on pics, but alas, I'm having trouble getting Photoyuckit to accept my photos.

Just thought I'd share (my life story?) my experiences.

I'm working on an mid 60's altered and hated the chrome wheels (from the SWC/Big John Willys)on the car since it's kind of a crude-ish garage built race car. Being a single income household and having a late model 2009 Baby Boy GT (fully loaded no less) to keep running, I'm really limited on what I can spend on plastic and supplies.

For paint I always use Krylon for colors ($2.24 a can) and the really cheap flat/semi gloss blacks ($0.97 a can.) I could afford some of the testors and tamiya paints, but can't justify buying a little can for more than I'd lay out for a big can. I also don't have an airbrush, and more than likely never will unless I "pick one up" to "use on our tools" while I'm at work next time (ever spray paint in your kids sand box?)

That being said, I don't use the metalizers that seem so popular here...but have kinda been wanting to.

This brought me to aisle X of my local wal-mart, the spray paint aisle. Picked up Krylon "smoke grey" and the Krylon "Brilliant Silver (chrome.") I tested it one some spare parts box wheels and LOVED it. Here's the method.

I did it over chrome because for some reason I've been having bad luck with bleach to strip chrome. Some of my DD chrome has been in there almost a week and only one side is stripped! I'm ADHD like crazy, as well as being a "instant gratification modeler" so I didn't want to wait around to strip these anyways.

I started with a very light coat of "smoke grey" followed about 5 minutes later by a fairly heavy coat. While the smoke grey is still wet I dusted with the "brilliant silver" and ta-da, metalizer for less than $5, and enough of it to do two whole kits if you wanted to!

I'm working on pics, but alas, I'm having trouble getting Photoyuckit to accept my photos.

Just thought I'd share (my life story?) my experiences.

What photo file format are you trying to upload to Photobucket? (jpeg/jpg/pdf/png, etc?) Out of these, Photobucket does not support pdf. Here's info from another site:

The heart of Photobucket's service is digital image storage. But images can come in many sizes and file types. Photobucket supports the following image file formats:

* Graphics interchange format (.gif)

* Joint Photographic Experts Group files (.jpg)

* Portable network graphics files (.png)

* Bitmap files (.bmp)

Edited by sjordan2

To strip chrome....Easy-Off (yellow can) will have it gone in less than 10 minutes! I have had it remove chrome in as little as 45 seconds at one time; it works.

As to the metalizer tip, thanks for the alternative. Sounds like it could very well be worth it paint-price wise if it looks just as good.

There is 'Smittys' down in Kettering, 'The Hobby Shop' just north of the Dayton mall, and I usually end up on Hilliard-Rome road in Columbus at the HobbyTown USA store as well as Grandview Hobbies up in the Grandview Heights area of Columbus. Dayton doesn't really have a lot going for it model-car wise, but I do what I can where I can when I can. I work aviation, and my time is fluid......never know what shift I will be on or what road trip I will be assigned to.

• 4 months later...