Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 69 Charger R/T vs. Revell Pro Modeler 69 Charger R/T

crowe-t

What are the differences between the regular Revell 69 Dodge Charger R/T & The Revell PRO MODELER 69 Dodge Charger R/T kits? I also noticed there are 2 Pro Modeler 69 Charger boxes, one with a white background in the Pro Modeler logo and one with a yellow background. I read somewhere that there is a re-issue of the Pro Modeler version with a corrected body. Which Pro Modeler box is the re-issue?

Any input will be appreciated.

Revell69Charger.jpg

Revell69Charger1.jpg

Revell69Charger2.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

I wasn't aware that the Pro Modeler kit was reissued, but the one with the yellow logo looks more modern, so that's probably the reissue. I do know the original one had an incorrect roof line. This was corrected and made available in the regular issue '69 Charger R/T kit (blue car w/ white top). The Pro Modeler kits had Photoetched detail if I remember correctly, at least for the '69 Charger Daytona kit it did. I don't know if the Charger R/T had one, pretty sure it didn't.

As far as parts content, I think they are basically the same (both have a 426 Hemi and a 440 Magnum engine option). The Pro Modeler kit was packaged nicer, and I bought the original one when it came out (incorrect roof). Besides the standard Charger decals, it also included General Lee like decals which were slightly inaccurate, but I think that's about it. The regular issue (blue car) did not have the extra "General Lee" type decals, and they were slightly revised if I remember correctly. They altered the tail stripes, and revised the 440 Magnum air cleaner decal I believe.

Also worth mentioning, the Dick Landy '68 Charger came out after the original Pro Modeler '69 Charger R/T, and it had the corrected roof, (also it did not have the vinyl roof molded in as all the '69 Charger kits do, so if you want to save yourself some sanding of the "vinyl grain" and vinyl roof-only trim around the rear window "flying buttresses", then it might be worth it to get a '68 kit too, and just use the body from it lol). I hope this helps, I don't think there is any advantage at getting a Pro Modeler kit over a standard issue unless you want the photoetched parts, which like I said, I don't think they came in the '69 Charger R/T kit, at least not the original one. Maybe in the reissue? There is actually a Photoetched sheet available for the '69 Charger R/T kit that would be much better. All of these kits can be had for about $10 or so plus shipping if you know where to look. There are several ebay auctions going on right now that are less than $5 too. B)

Edited by MB_ChargerChick

The YELLOW one is the mis formed Pro modeler kit! The BLUE one is the CORRECTED version!!! I have them both. Unfortunately, I purchased TWO of the yellow ones when they first came out, and if ONE was a mis formed kit, I just surmised that they BOTH are mis formed kits.I have a CASE of the blue ones as THEY are properly molded. THe only difference is the Hemi Engine in the yellow one,and the Photo Etch parts . The SECOND yellow one, WITHOUT the Revell Monogram printing beneath the Charger R/T call outs is the SECOND release of the Pro-Modeler version, with the CORRECTED body in it! Hope this helps!wink.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Edited by george 53
  • Like 1

In my honest opinion they should have reissued the 68 off of the diecast tooling,It looks more correct to me,The bodylines are spot on,And they need to make the 70 from the Diecast tool,that body is spot on also!As far as the 68 DL Charger I bought a few when they first came out,And in the instructions they told you to fill in the 69 Marker lights,The First issue of the PM 69 Charger the body looked like a chopped banana to me,I'm glad the fixed it,Both DL And PM 68 and 69 Chargers were the same kit,But the body's were indeed different,the 68 smooth top,the 69 vinyl top,But if you compare both bodys,the cowl vents are different just a bit!

Does anyone know if the blue Revell Monogram 69 Dodge Charger kit has the corrected body? From what I'v read it seems the corrected body appeared late in the first issue Pro Modeler kits so I guess by the time the blue 69 Charger was sold it had the corrected body.

This kit I'm looking at has 1998 on the box.

RevellMonogram69Charger.jpg

Yes, that one has the corrected body. Only the first run in the Pro Modeler series had the inaccurate body. All others after it are correct.

:P

Thanks Mark! :blink:

I'm watching this on E-bay and didn't want to end up with the incorrect body. It's made in the USA, I usually like to buy the older kits that are made in the US if I can.

i've come up with at least 7 '68-70 body toolings that Revell has done.

1st Pro Modeler '69 body with the wack roof

2nd Pro Modeler '69 body with the "corrected" roof

3rd Pro Modeler '69 Daytona body

4th Revell Dick Landy '68 body with no vinyl top and '69 side markers

5th Revell '68 Bullitt diecast

6th Revell '70-ish Fast & Furious diecast

7th Revell Special Edition '68 kit with no vinyl top or side markers

Dave

Dave, this might be another to add to your list:

HPIM2364.jpg

It's not marked as a Pro Modeler kit, but it does come with a photoetched grille piece (in the small inset picture).

HPIM2365.jpg

I'm not sure what the Pro Modeler verison had in the way of photoetch, but this may be a reissue of it. This kit's copyright date is 2004.

the Pro Modeler version was kind of interesting. it included some NASCAR-ish parts to build a second version besides the stock one. those parts are not accurate to build a period correct NASCAR racecar but they are still pretty cool.

Dave

Yeah, I think I remember an issue of that with markings to build a Richard Petty Daytona.

Nope, that was one of the issues, (last one so far IIRC), of the Monogram 1/24 scale 1970 Plymouth Superbird, & in this case, released under the Revell banner. The Pro Modeler Daytona had some generic number "6"s on it's decal sheet. Keep in mind that Petty nevber raced a Daytona.

Though that Superbird has no Nascar parts in it, the decal sheet is very nice.

Here's a photo of the box art:

PettySuperbirdModel.jpg

B)

That's the kit I was thinking of, Mark, thanks.

Thanks for setting me straight, too. I got my winged warriors mixed up! B) Since I wasted the time thinking I was going to prove you wrong not even thinking I even put "Richard Petty Superbird" in the search, here's some old footage of Petty's Superbird I found on YouTube! I appears like it might be from Sonoma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH07ELHkQHc

I also found this pic of it in the Richard Petty Museum.

110406200420Entrance20to20museum-large.jpg

Revell69Charger1.jpg

i have this with the corrected body

Just to add to the confusion (or maybe to create some), I have this box with the blue pro-modeler label, kit #85-5937, and it has the old incorrect body. They apparently changed the box-art before changing the body.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

The Revell-Monogram Pro Modeler '69 Dodge Charger R/T which includes the correct body has "Pro Modeller by Revell-Monogram" all contained in the upper left corner of the box top:

goodpm69charger.JPG.e15bebe89867c1fbf2ffc625e0445fb3.JPG

The kit with the incorrect body has "R E V E L L - M O N O G R A M" stretching nearly the full width across the box top:

badpm69charger.jpg.21cc59622bf0afbdb081bf2c931abcee.jpg

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Anyone have pictures of the corrected body next to the bad body?

Honestly, that wouldn't even be necessary. The incorrect body's lower roofline is impossible to miss.

• 7 months later...

While there is a marked difference in the roof line, The earlier Pro Modeler with the incorrect roof offers some interesting possibilities depending on the design of your build. If you're wanting to build something other than a stock body the "wrong roof" issue might be the way to go. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 10:21 AM, Casey said:

The Revell-Monogram Pro Modeler '69 Dodge Charger R/T which includes the correct body has "Pro Modeller by Revell-Monogram" all contained in the upper left corner of the box top:

goodpm69charger.JPG.e15bebe89867c1fbf2ffc625e0445fb3.JPG

The kit with the incorrect body has "R E V E L L - M O N O G R A M" stretching nearly the full width across the box top:

badpm69charger.jpg.21cc59622bf0afbdb081bf2c931abcee.jpg

So THAT was the difference between the boxes! I learned something new today.....I thought I heard someone say that there was a different box years ago, but they weren't specific. Now watch someone try to sell one of those 'sealed' kits in with the bad body on eBay. The uninitiated won't be the wiser sadly.

3 hours ago, Jim H. said:

FDE57E03-FEFE-408F-A41A-753332C93FA6.jpeg

991B823B-96DC-49AA-BA5E-31719D287002.jpeg

I believe the wrong roof is what led to the delay of the Daytona kit initially and IIRC, Revell did replace the bodies for those that asked which was very good on their part.

1 minute ago, MrObsessive said:

Now watch someone try to sell one of those 'sealed' kits in with the bad body on eBay. The uninitiated won't be the wiser sadly.

They all sell fairly cheap on eBay. $5 for all the other parts is still a pretty good deal. The body would be good to use as a "paint dummy" Try a color, see if you like it.