Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Member New Car

TorqueWrench08

As the title say I'm a new member with a new project.Im a 20 year old male.Have been putting models together since I was about 6.Just trying to get back into them to help quit smoking and looking to improve my skills. Ive already discovered a few techniques Im eager to try.

Ive got a 1970 Mustang Boss 429 by Revell I'm currently workin on.

Lookin to do something different than just throwing it together.

Any hints, tips, tricks, thoughts, suggestions, or whatever are greatly appreciated.

Thus far my only changes to the original model are the doors-my first attempt mind you, and the wheels are from a '39 Wagon Rod by AMT kit.

DSCF0757.jpg

DSCF0756.jpg

DSCF0753.jpg

Feel free to suggest/comment whats on your mind.Thanks

Stance is everything. To make the wheels tuck under and give it a street look, try lowering it about 1/16th of an inch. Door cuts look good, but don't take my word for it! ;)

Welcome to the site....where at in Florida are you located. I am in Central Florida every now and then (mom and dad live in St.Cloud).

@whale392 - I agree that stance is very important. I would like to lower some so Ive been lookin for spare parts through all my boxes. Currently trying to work something out for the rearend. The wheels Im using have deep backspacing so Ive been searching for a wide enough rearend. The current placement of the tires have them touching the inner fenders so I may end up tubing it just enough to fit the rearend and tuck the wheels under the fender.

& to answer your question, I could throw a rock and hit Alabama or Georgia

@ mark taylor - Diggin' the comment man thanks for that. This just happened to be one of several kits I had laying around and dont have the extra $$$ at the moment to get another so Ill tough this one out. If in the future I decide to do a remake of sorts Ill keep that in mind especially concerning the door panels.

@jeffs396 - Thanks lol

So you are up in the Pace/Palifax/Milton/Pensacola area then? I was stationed at NATTC/NAS Pensacola for a year and absolutely LOVED the area. Chassis can be manipulated to give you the right look/stance/wheel spacing. I have used the inserts that they give you for the stub axles to space the wheels in/out/throughout the wheelwell (by cutting the female adapter to the depth I needed). Added bonus is that this method can also be used to simulate rear disc brakes (minus calipers of course..easy fix for that too).

So you are up in the Pace/Palifax/Milton/Pensacola area then? I was stationed at NATTC/NAS Pensacola for a year and absolutely LOVED the area. Chassis can be manipulated to give you the right look/stance/wheel spacing. I have used the inserts that they give you for the stub axles to space the wheels in/out/throughout the wheelwell (by cutting the female adapter to the depth I needed). Added bonus is that this method can also be used to simulate rear disc brakes (minus calipers of course..easy fix for that too).

Im east, northeast of Pensacola about 125mi or north of Panama City by about 70.

Ive been staring at this chassis for about an hour now hypothesizing and I think ive figured out how to get my drop in the rear but still need to pull the wheels in a bit.

The rearend that came with the kit is a one piecer with the leaf springs.The leaves are preventing the axel from going into the wheel which I might coule fix by simply, right :rolleyes:, detaching the leaves and moving them in a bit but I still face the problem of my inner wheel wells that are one piece with the chassis.

Couple pictures to help convey my situation.Couldnt get a clear shot from above

DSCF0763.jpg

DSCF0761.jpg

DSCF0758.jpg

Looking good so far. If you were really ambitious you could always build a 4-link set up for it. There are a few examples on this site of ones who have done it. Shouldn't be too hard.

BTW- Welcome to the site and congrats on quitting smoking. Now you'll have a little extra $$ for kits and plastic. Pick up some Evergreen or Plastistruct tube and rod and such at a Local Hobby Shop (LHS). It'll come in handy for building custom parts (such as that 4-link).

Later-

Thanks to you both.And to modlbldr, sadly I know of no hobby shops locally.Living in the boonies-read as B.F.E.- theres not much of anything here or withink the next 50 miles at least.The only place I knew of closed about 5-10 years ago.As for the 4-link, its a great idea and theres plenty of ambition, but as I said with no shops and already limited supplies Ive got work with what I have around from other builds.

@vizio93 - For now Im going on with the yellow.I wanted something bright that catches the aye but not all out.Im kinda partial to black and yellow to begin with some that may have something to do with it as well.Its always possible to change my mind later on.Ive got a little to do before I get started on the car today but hopefully pictures by noon-ish

@mannyclub - Thanks & hope you like the finished product

Edited by TorqueWrench08

@vizio93 - For now Im going on with the yellow.I wanted something bright that catches the aye but not all out.Im kinda partial to black and yellow to begin with some that may have something to do with it as well.Its always possible to change my mind later on.Ive got a little to do before I get started on the car today but hopefully pictures by noon-ish

@mannyclub - Thanks & hope you like the finished product

Cool, I like black and yellow too. Yellow with black wheels would look good, but its your build, so good luck !!! :)