Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge 330 AWB

noname

Well I went ahead and added the roof supports or whatever you call them. :lol: They aren't exact but I'd need some really fine half round styrene stock to do it right. Plus the inside of the roof on this kit isn't exactly realistic. Quite a difference if you look at some 1:1 photos. I think what I've done will do the trick. Specially when it's painted and finished.

Picture095.jpg

The chasis is all together and painted flat black. I'll put up a pic. after I weather it. I'll also wait to show the engine after it is finished. It's getting there slowwly but surely. ;)

Thanks Texrat and Whale, I appreciate the comments. I haven't had a chance to work on it much lately but hopefully will get something done by the weekend. I am working on the engine now. Tried to Alclad chrome the valve covers but it didn't work out. Might try again but I usually don't have alot of luck as my compressor hasn't any pressure regualter. I need to get the fittings to gear up my other compressor. I've seen some Hemis with the valve covers ornge like the block. I kinda dig that.

Matt, I built Cadillacs for 32 years, an i gotta tell ya bud, you got the LOOK right on! How many stripped out interiors you hafta look at ta catch it so well? I worked body shop for the first 12 years and I still see those bodies in white in my sleep! you got it lookin good Daddy-O! Great job so far!laugh.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Thanks guys, it's specially good when someone in the 1:1 business says your doing it right! :D

Here are the finnished wheels.

Picture230.jpg

I was planning on painting this thing white but realized I didn't have near enough to do the car. I do however have some cream colour as can be seen on the front rims. This seems to be quite close to the factory "Ivory " colour. I might put the striping from the Maverick kit on it as well. Not sure yet.

Edited by noname

Looking good Matt. Might I make a suggestion (this is the realist in me coming out)? Paint the dust caps a steel and drybrush a little rust onto them for a realistic finish. Also, same for the lug nuts on the front wheels. Rear wheels have the axle end detail engraved in them? Add a wash of steel/rust to that area as well.......they always rusted on the real cars (I actually painted my axle ends on my 65, and cleared my dustcaps to help keep this from happening. Then I went with some aftermarket wheels and hid the ugly rust anyway!).

Thanks for reminding me Whale. The lugnuts were silver but I removed some of the paint while cleaning up the wash. Maybe a darker colour would be better. I didn't know if the same treatment was necessary for the rear as they were black, but I think I'll take your advice. I certainly don't mind you giving advice. I strive for realism. I may repaint those front wheels anyway. I'm thinking I'm not going to like the cream so much and may pick up more white or more Tamiya white primer so I can paint the car orange. Did you notice the slots in the front wheels are too long? You'd know better than I but the 1:1 photos I have show the slots in the outer part of the rim face to be smaller.

Edited by noname

Yes I did Matt, and was going to ask where you got the wheels from? Are they from the Lindberg LRW kit or one of its' variants? I am thinking that the ones from the latest reissue of the Ford 64 Fairlane500 (T-Bolt) kit might work as well; they have smaller notches in the wheel face. I don't have reference handy, but I will get back to you if I find something better suited for the fronts. Until then, carry on as they look good and I won't tell anyone if you don't!

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should ask Whale. I just went to paint it today and ran into a problem. I thought I'd paint the inside of the roof first so I laid the body upsidedown on a piece a old newsprint. It was clean and is blank with no ink whatsoever. So I went ahead and sprayed it. After letting it dry for a short time I picked it up only to find the paper stuck to the roof. The white Tamiya primer had several days to dry I might add. When I went to scrape the paper off with my nail, it made gouges in the plastic. Weird!!!!! It was like the paper was fused to the body. So I sanded it and applied some putty. After a little bit I sanded it again and the putty seemed a bit soft. So I'll let the next bit dry over night and see if that helps.

Man, talked about sucky! After all that work and I had the body looking good as if the AWB body came in the kit that way. Don't worry though, I plan on making this work.

I also have a 55 Nomad I've been working on too. I'll post some pics of that when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did get the body painted. I'm just waiting for it to dry good so I can polish it a little. I really like Duplicolour but it needs a little help to get a shine. I'll have to take a pic of the engine. I didn't like the goofy looking nipples on top of the air filters so I bent up a tiny piece of pop can to make it look like a wing nut. I don't know how it will look in a photo but it's not bad with the naked eye. I also had to redo the filters themselves. After looking more closely at a picture, I realized the filter covers the hole velocity thingy. Just ba small detail but I figure, mise well do it right. The interior panels have to be painted yet. I'm also going to make my own glass which is always a pain. I'll get some pics up soon hopefully.

Thanks for the interest. Early AWB drag cars rule. I've got a few more project lined up for the future. I've also been starting to collect some military vehicles. Great canvas for weathering. When I get a Jeep or something done I'll post it.