Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60's Dragster 8/31/17 Fotki update with some new photos

Foxer

This project started over a year ago for the Lion's Drag Strip build and I'm just now getting "close" to finishing it about 8 months after the finish date! If I do so, this will be my first completed build since the mid 90's. It will be sad to not have any more to build on it. :):)

I figured I should collect my previous posts from the Lion's build thread and put them all together for some history as "soon to be completed" is only a relative term with me and it could be next year. ehhe

So, without further ado .....

Edited by Foxer

Dateline: May 6, 1962

There was a major crash this past month at Pratt & Whitney's Airstrip (weekend dragstrip) and some loony with a front blower went backwards into a crowd of Piper Cub executive airplanes on the adjoining runway. The wreck ended up at Burnside Auto Body in East Hartford and the owner can't afford the towing charges OR the Piper Cub damage. The body shop is in negotiations now for the 283 front blower engine and are thinking RACING!

It's 1963 and Lion's Drag Strip out West has been operating for 8 years now. Connecticut Dragway has been open a few years and all the local shops are stripping wrecks for parts to get in on the fun!

Vin's Sunoco in Hartford has decided to sideline their Modified for awhile and go drag racing! A customer paid for a recent valve job with a long rail frame and got the sparks flying. It looks way too long for what Vin had in mind, but will serve as a good model for the weld boys to fab something up. (Thanks gbk1 for the frame leads) A recent wreck at Pratt & Whitney's Airstrip brought in the untouched 283 from Vin's brother Vito at Burnside Auto Body. No one asked anything about this.

Aunt Stella's old Vicky has been sitting in the barn just waiting for somewhere to go after losing her fenders to salt and this is it. The body shop has wanted to cut into this shell for years. Go to it boys!

ConnDragway 1961 SS500

start DSC1431

Edited by Foxer

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

The body shop boys have been working late on the Vicky body and have it stripped, chopped and ready to receive the wheel wells.

69 Drag Body DSC1615

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

I finally feel I hit a turning point as the body had caused me headaches. I used a new epoxy in the top chop and it was totally unsuitable for the job. Come to find out, it was intended for wood plane models and never fully hardened. As a result, it didn't take smoothing at the joint well. I ended up scraping it out and using regular putty. Must be 20 primer coats and reworks of the body! Finally today the seams all blended!

The Hippi Hemi frame, as recommended to me here, is working out great for this. The 283 motor from the AMT Competition kit with Povin mounted blower is shoved forward about 6 scale inches in this mockup. The firewall still needs some trimming but it will probably stay about where it is. The thought of cutting the cowl back through the air vent is still in my head though ... the motor isn't high but would still need access if left in the Hippie Hemi motor position to keep from extending the drive shaft and for driver controls and position to remain the same.

This mock up was mostly to get the body position. It will tilt up at the rear and is following the lower frame rail in these photos which has a slight upward rake as it goes rearward from the engine.. I've seen some with a very exaggerated tilt up but gonna keep it slight as this is one long body behind the wheels!

The rear wheel arches worked really well. These are what made me do a competition coupe in the first place! I love the way these are just hacked into the body wherever the wheels "happen" to land and when the arch sticks above the window sills.. all the better! The inner wheel well backing was used more as a stiffener and shaper when forming the arches and I know are probably unrealistic, but they stiffen the body greatly and I think they are staying. Besides, the guys at the body shop say they may keep the volumes of white smoke away from the driver as that front blower spins those "massive" 8" slicks!!!

The upper door lines are going to be re-scribed and welded. I have some Archer weld "decals" intended for armor that I want to try on this. They look like overly think blobs on paper but go on like decals and are just painted over.

60s Competition Coupe DSC1805

60s Competition Coupe DSC1803

60s Competition Coupe DSC1798

Edited by Foxer

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

Just one photo and it's a big one. Working on the engine, the competition pack 283 Chevy with front mounted Povin blower for my Comp Coupe. Been making the springs for what I believe is a crude "blowoff valve" on the intake. Maybe someone can verify this is what it is. I've seen it on most front blowers and it is modeled, but just a flat, round plate. It's just in pieces in the photo, but the intake is drilled and typically 6 bolts with springs on their shafts screw in.

BlowOffValve DSC3093

Also, as this is the 60's, the engine got fueled with "leaded"! The Vicky body is so long that when I did a mock up, it did a wheelie standing still! So. the engine got filled with lead sheets to balance it out.

The back of the frame was extended so it now supports the back of the body.

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

The Dragster shops are working overtime. The frame is almost ready for paint and the Vicky coup doors are being welded shut with Archer weld bead "decals". I can't wait to see how these look in paint!. Lots of detail painting in the works on all the parts. The carpet monster regurgitated the two parts that were missing! The headers are the biggest question now. I wanted to make some zoomies, but as time is running short I may just shorten and drill out the kit headers that are in the photo. The magneto is wired and ready and believe I have the method of fabrication for the rubber fuel line ends worked out using hex and round rod with brass metalizer paint. It's probably about time to glue some of the engine and blower together for some test fitting before the frame is set in weld metal and lacquer!

DragsterFrame DSC3157

PushBar DSC3164

Edited by Foxer

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

A small update while much detail painting is going on and the engine boys are in assembly mode...

The frame is also in white primer waiting for some Sunoco Yellow paint.

The doors were welded up with Archer Weld Bead decals. These are resin weld beads on decal paper and they apply just like decals. These are the 2nd smallest size ... about a 3/4" weld. I used some of the larder sized on the other door to see how they look and will probably leave them on for some variation. They were a little stiff at the rounded body molding under the windows but I knife cut and some setting solution will hopefully fix that. I'm pretty happy with the way these look under paint.

doorWelds DSC3177

Three weeks left .. this could be my FIRST completion this year! But, I always have fun, finish or not ... that's the objective!

The frame is painted and I've been engine assembling and doing fuel wires ... that's what all the tiny pieces are. All the fuel connections are cut from various rod. The body might get painted tomorrow, or the next day, depending how I feel.

60Comp wiring DSC3316

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

body paint and decal sheet test print...

decals bluePaint sml DSC3354

Edited by Foxer

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

It's Christmas Eve and getting down to the wire. Starting to have doubts on finishing this, but will keep plugging as time allows. I have to get off my typical detail binge as it approaches completion ... that may be how I manage to procrastinate and never finish!

It still needs seat belts fabricated (PE and blue belt material),

The engine mounts fabricated today and paint drying, Engine locked (taped) in place to receive mounts,

The blower blow-off cover screws are partially fabricated and shouldn't take too long now that a few are fabricated and the method is down. They are being made from some cast bolts wrapped with very fine wire for springs. I'm taking some artistic liberty and only using 4 blots instead of th e6 commonly used. (I have to leave SOMETHING for the parts counters to find!)

Steering rods need to be fabricated. At least the front spindles are on so these can be sized.

Headers are still up in the air. Couldn't locate and zoomies and all the headers I have won't look right if I cut and modify them. I think it will be aluminum tube straight ones. At least they have a chance to get done and the "crudeness" will be appropriate for this local shop build.

The fuel line connectors are all made and painted so they should go well once the engine is bolted in place.

The body got a notch cut in the cowl to clear the magneto since it was painted. Another coat is almost dry and ready for decals! It cut into the cowl vent so some weld beads were added to that to secure it. The paint is being left "rough" as if it was painted in a less than perfect environment in the back of the gas station shop. (how's THAT for an excuse for some orange peel?)

Other small things like the parachute, steering wheel and some washes for contrast just waiting for everything above.

Hmmm.. it always looks longer when it's spelled out... oh well .. ehhe

XMassEve DSC3444

Edited by Foxer

Glad to see this back. With all the ambitious detail you want to put into this thing no wonder you couldn't get it done in time for the build off. That's the problem with deadlines, sometimes....wink.gifbiggrin.gif Same thing happened with mine - I got hung up duplicating a set of injectors and then lost enthusiasm as the build off came and went. I will return to it, however.

As the expression goes, keep it comin'!cool.gifsmile.gif

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

The boys down at the local Sunoco station just got too excited building this comp coupe to run out on the left coast at the last run at Lion's and measured only ONCE! The engine is set too far back when matching the bell housing to have the rear header clear the body. It looks like at least a 1/4" interference. The headers will be straight zoomies tilted back.

The obvious solution is to move the engine forward at least a 1/4" which is no problem as far as fitting to the frame. The space between the firewall/bell housing will become a problem as far as looking correct. I don't believe it's practical to move the bell housing at this late stage. Maybe attach the bell housing from the original engine will make it look "ok". This is a Competition Parts Pack engine and the housing is here.

The rear header is pretty much in line with the magneto.

It's also possible to notch the body and paint at this point, though this may just look TOO funky.

So, I'm reaching out to any ideas however funky they may be.

Header Clearance DSC3462

Header Clearance DSC3460

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

I see that wire coming down on me. Blower blow-off valve has it springs, Seat belts need a couple more ends and headers as good as done. Headers ended up short ones tucked down and will clear body.

The new show shopper is the decal paper I got is bad stuff. They blurred when printed so I'm turning the house upside down to find the piece left from last sheet I used.

blow-off Valve DSC3486

blow-off Valve DSC3482

Edited by Foxer

Posted 1 January, 2010, 03:20 PM

Well, I have to hand it to the boys at Vin's Sunoco as they made a valiant effort, but it's a no show. They even worked on the coup in the trailer during the trip west, but the powers that be just wouldn't come together. They made it to the Lion's pits and were left standing on the sidelines. It is still a tribute to the spirit of Lions Drag Strip as it's what racing is all about!

The topper was the decals as everyone in the area quit early to get liquidated for the coming New Year. The fuel lines needed other things done first, so they are still in the tool box.. The steering rods are also in the box as they interfere with other installations.

At least no one minded some photos of the beast at rest as the Sam was popped and the boys sat to watch the Ball drop in NY on the B&W pit TV.

Happy New Year to all!

Dec31 DSC3509

Dec31 DSC3499

Dec31 DSC3500

Dec31 DSC3501

Edited by Foxer

Posted Today ... 15 August, 20010!!!

It's all over but the shouting and drinking, but progress HAS been made!! The most work has gone into the steering rods. Nothing I had looked right or fit so I made up some.. about 3 times for the rods and 3 times for the mounting plates! They still came undone when mounting the front rod and need some TLC when I can face it again. :)

SteeringRod DSC 5404

SteeringRod DSC 5400

Dragster decals DSC 4699

still a few more decals to go as I find what I'm looking for...

Edited by Foxer

Glad to see this back. With all the ambitious detail you want to put into this thing no wonder you couldn't get it done in time for the build off. That's the problem with deadlines, sometimes....wink.gifbiggrin.gif Same thing happened with mine - I got hung up duplicating a set of injectors and then lost enthusiasm as the build off came and went. I will return to it, however.

As the expression goes, keep it comin'!cool.gifsmile.gif

I well remember yours too, Bernard! It was looking good and I hope to see it reappear when "the time is right!: :)

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did something  very similar. I took the same body and combined it with AMT's Hippy Hemi...... but I left the rear wheels in their original spot and extended the roll cage out the back. I also cut a slot in the stock windshield for the blower, and used the stock grill and radiator shell all the way up front.

I called it "The Long Shot"

I gave it to a neighbor's kid to inspire him ( he is 8 ) but I think it was a wasted effort....... video games rule his world.

Awesome job.   Makes me want to build another one !

I did something  very similar. I took the same body and combined it with AMT's Hippy Hemi...... but I left the rear wheels in their original spot and extended the roll cage out the back. I also cut a slot in the stock windshield for the blower, and used the stock grill and radiator shell all the way up front.

I called it "The Long Shot"

I gave it to a neighbor's kid to inspire him ( he is 8 ) but I think it was a wasted effort....... video games rule his world.

Awesome job.   Makes me want to build another one !

Nothing's wasted on kids. 20 years from now he'll "click" and spend his retirement trying to recreate your dragster!  :D

Nothing's wasted on kids. 20 years from now he'll "click" and spend his retirement trying to recreate your dragster!  

He's going to have to....... It was the original issue of the AMT 32 vicky from the early 60's.

I had a LOT of friends who almost died of shock when I "CUT" into that  collector's gem !

Still occasionally use parts from that kit....... I'm using the gas tank from it on my current build.  Mother's worry.