Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well I have a bit of a complaint.

I recently purchased and started building the "New" Italeri 378. And I noticed that they seemed to have molded the firewall incorrect?

The first pic is the model cab.

cab1a.jpg

The opening for the intake on the passenger side...Which I haven't opened up yet seems to be to high up the firewall?

From Tim's site...

FirewalldetailDoonan.jpg

And off the web...

24122185_5.jpg

I never had the original 379? so I don't know if this is a carry over from it or not...Kinda like the "Drive axle hubs!"

Any way I would love to see one the guys who does those fabulous cabs and stuff offer a "Proper Firewall" for the 378.

It looks like several things things are out of place on it,or am I just being picky?

Jeff

You're not being picky at all.

Italeri did several weird things on the firewall.. you'll note that the cover for the wiper motor is on the wrong side. The 2 access ports for wiring are on the wrong side.. it is as if they were making a mirror image of the firewall.

The cab in the photo from my site is a newer cab - the washer fluid tank is no longer mounted on the firewall.

Tim

HEHEHE...Aftashox....I'd much rather claim it's a $25.00 resin firewall... B)

Anthony...I was thinking about the AMT hub thing, Nobody seems to have them in stock at the resin places.

I have a friend who does small castings, maybe I can get him to cast a few sets for me. I do have the "377" in the paint shop right now and it will need it's own set.

Tim...

Thanks for all your pic's and documentation of the "Pete's"...I would have thought for the price they would have fixed the hub's and some of the smaller things also?

They are gorgeous kits...I spent 3 or 4 days just on the frame of the '377'. My son laughed at me saying I was getting slow in my old age! He has only built the Revell 359...Hehehe..what does he know?

I may just 'Fix' the fire wall... :)

Jeff

Jeff,

The model companies are very reluctant to change or modify anything on the toolings. I'm sure it's a return on investment thing.

On the humongous hubs, I grind off the end and cover it with a craft-store-find button cover. This also means the inner wheel hub has to be cut down and the axle cut also.

Tim

HEHEHE...Aftashox....I'd much rather claim it's a $25.00 resin firewall... :o

Anthony...I was thinking about the AMT hub thing, Nobody seems to have them in stock at the resin places.

I have a friend who does small castings, maybe I can get him to cast a few sets for me. I do have the "377" in the paint shop right now and it will need it's own set.

Tim...

Thanks for all your pic's and documentation of the "Pete's"...I would have thought for the price they would have fixed the hub's and some of the smaller things also?

They are gorgeous kits...I spent 3 or 4 days just on the frame of the '377'. My son laughed at me saying I was getting slow in my old age! He has only built the Revell 359...Hehehe..what does he know?

I may just 'Fix' the fire wall... :rolleyes:

Jeff

Tim

I'm gonna need a lot of input...What I was looking at his pic's for was the placement of the hood bumpers and such. I'm not sure what year the "New Italeria 378" is...If I stick with the photo you took of the white cab on the rack and Daniel's pic's I should be o-kay? correct?

I noticed that the most of the electrical and thru the firewall hose's are the basically same between yours and his? This can be made as an '08 I hope?

Jeff

The kit represents a '95 - 04 378. In '05 the doors lost the vent window and the mirrors moved to the cowl. For '06 the window ledges slanted forward.

The firewall differences.. the windshield washer bottle moved to the radiator in later years. Extra heat shields were added. Depending on the specific truck you are building, there might be an overflow tank on the firewall. The basic firewall stayed the same.

This one is for an underhood air cleaner.

firewalldetail.jpg

This one has dual external air cleaners (like the kit)

4940183-R1-028-12A.jpg

P1010020.JPG

P1010017.JPG

4940213-R1-E021.jpg

This one has a single RH air cleaner.

P1010021.JPG

This is a 2009 underhood aircleaner

Peterbilt_Denton_09928.jpg

These are 2009 dual air cleaner set ups.

Peterbilt_Denton_091088.jpg

Peterbilt_Denton_091096.jpg

Peterbilt_Denton_091438.jpg

Tim

Jeff, don't feel bad man, the kit (american superliner) I'm working with also is from the same company B) and so far I have found out the frame rails was two (2) different leights. Not to mention I notice where the dang mold lines are at on the cab floor is also off. The floor pose to set level with the bottom of the door edges and in the kit they do not. I had to lower the floor down and still are working on it yet. I'm not sure if my friend just by chance got one of there off kits by mistake or what.

Wow.....Great info!

So 1995-2004 for the kit.

The 2005 or newer window mods and mirrors should be easy. Did they go to the square spot window on the lower pax door in 2005?

The other thing that stands out is the wiring harness/plug cover on the bottom drivers side. The top six pictures you posted only show the openings for the harness', but I seem to remember the the cover on the Super 18 I drove and it was a late 2004. Man I should have taken pictures of that truck!

Arrgh...I was thinking 2005.I have yet find a specific truck yet to do though.

Tim thank you for your help...you seem to have pictures for everything possible!...Now if I could only get you over to the dark side.....Kenworth..... :D

Jeff

Jeff, don't feel bad man, the kit (american superliner) I'm working with also is from the same company :D and so far I have found out the frame rails was two (2) different leights. Not to mention I notice where the dang mold lines are at on the cab floor is also off. The floor pose to set level with the bottom of the door edges and in the kit they do not. I had to lower the floor down and still are working on it yet. I'm not sure if my friend just by chance got one of there off kits by mistake or what.

Hehehehe...still better than the 'old' AMT kits...I put the re-released 'Freightliner' back in the box!

Jeff