Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Demon in Butterscotch

spkgibson

This started out as an old built up I won off e-bay,Well the body was trashed so I used the Bandit Resin kit,Excellent quality mind you,The rest is all of the original parts from the MPC kit!The paint came from www.automotivetouchup.com ,I made the correct front markerlights by foil casting them from the LA Dart Body.

post-4101-12823230464937_thumb.jpg

post-4101-12823230843834_thumb.jpg

Edited by spkgibson

My uncle owned a Dodge dealership along with half of Marshall co. My mom got a 71 Dodge Demon from him. I can just barely remember running around the dealership when I was a kid. That car was Plumb Crazy Purple with a black interior, a 318, auto, with 8 3/4 rear axle. Wished we still had it today.

Funny how MoPars have become so hip in recent years.

When I first moved to Orange County in the late 80s I started doing striping for car dealers in the area and continued my long-standing practice of buying cheap/cool cars. I went with one of my customers to a small car dealer auction and found a beat '71 Demon, base coupe, no options except a radio and a Pep Boys square accessory door mirror, but clean and not too beat up... $270 plus fees... I had it a few months, slant 6, TF, 100k miles. I hated the slow steering and cardboard seats, put maybe 5000 miles on it & sold it to someone who wanted it and had a grand...

Forward to two years ago, Hot Rod Magazine runs a piece on a salvage yard that specializes in MoPars and there in a photo is my old white, nearly forgotten Demon, square door mirror, fender crease and all. I called the yard, they wanted $4000 for the body, 'since it was so nice...'

Edited by Rick R

Looking real nice, Steve. Are you adding the stripe package?

That is something I need to think about,I haven't decided yet,I have the Black Stripes for it,I like the looks of this color with the black,But i'm not putting the scoops or spoiler on the back,I personally think they look better without,On the 340 Demons,I would love to find the white stripes for this,But the Cady tail panel decal is to small.

That is something I need to think about,I haven't decided yet,I have the Black Stripes for it,I like the looks of this color with the black,But i'm not putting the scoops or spoiler on the back,I personally think they look better without,On the 340 Demons,I would love to find the white stripes for this,But the Cady tail panel decal is to small.

Let me know if you build that purple one. I'd love to see it. It would look good solid, but the black stripes would look good too I think. I like them better without the wing and scoop. The only scoop I liked on them was the dual snorkel one piece job. Those looked nice. I don't think anyone makes them. Wished they did. My moms Demon was solid purple with no stripes or scoops and it looked good. I had a 70 Challenger Plumb Crazy and it has white stripes and it looked good with the stripes on it too, but that's another car though.

Let me know if you build that purple one. I'd love to see it. It would look good solid, but the black stripes would look good too I think. I like them better without the wing and scoop. The only scoop I liked on them was the dual snorkel one piece job. Those looked nice. I don't think anyone makes them. Wished they did. My moms Demon was solid purple with no stripes or scoops and it looked good. I had a 70 Challenger Plumb Crazy and it has white stripes and it looked good with the stripes on it too, but that's another car though. Bandit Resin makes that 72 style hood scoop your talking about.I will be making a plm crazy one soon,that car sounds like a good idea to build,I need to finish the others also!

Thanks for the heads up on that scoop. I'll check that out. I need to find one of these bodies myself. Did you get it from Bandit too? If so, I'll have to put in a order soon.

Yes they come with the body,hood,rollpan front and rear bumpers,They have the look and feel of a plastic body to me,Anyone looking to build a 71 Demon,I recommend this kit to everyone,I just wish the bumpers were plated in their products!

Yes they come with the body,hood,rollpan front and rear bumpers,They have the look and feel of a plastic body to me,Anyone looking to build a 71 Demon,I recommend this kit to everyone,I just wish the bumpers were plated in their products!

Thanks, I was checking out the site when this popped up. They have some stuff I can use. I'll have to get an order out soon. Thanks. Good looking build too. Look forward to seeing the others.

Bandit Resins does make some quality product. Plated bumpers would be nice, but it makes the kit more affordable and you have options with Alclad or sending the parts yourself for plating. If you have never sent parts out to be plated, you are missing out and if you send a whole rack of parts to be plated, your cost per part is very reasonable.

Bandit Resins does make some quality product. Plated bumpers would be nice, but it makes the kit more affordable and you have options with Alclad or sending the parts yourself for plating. If you have never sent parts out to be plated, you are missing out and if you send a whole rack of parts to be plated, your cost per part is very reasonable.

I agree 100%,After My wife and I move,I plan on sending alot of stuff to be plated,Six Pack hood?I'll make sure I get one of those!

Sweet!! Need some bigger pics with some engine shots though. :D

No engines just yet,I still need to assemble and paint them,But the last few days the weather has been horrible,Stupid rain!So i'm unable to paint,Plus the Blue one I'm going to take more time on that one,I have over 30 hours worth of work in the body,That car was made by splitting the front fenders off both the junk 71 Demon,and using the taillight panel off the same,Then blending the parts to the 76 dart body to make a 72 out of it,It was alot of work,But it was worth the effort!

I love the Demon build. Did you use the AMT Duster chassis and interior to complete this?

Some side stripes would really wake it up IMO, even without any scoops or wing. The EL5 Butterscotch is definitely a refreshing choice of color as well.

One thing I would like to point out about that Bandit body for anyone building one in the future (and please don't take this as criticism to your work, it certainly isn't meant to be) is that the front wheel opening is incorrectly shaped for a Demon. Maybe this is something Bandit could look into changing? You can easily get the correct opening from the 68-69 Darts as well.

It looks like they used a Duster body as the master. Demons and Dart Sports had more of a swooping line to them and did not drop straight down as this body does. You can see in the following pic what I am referring too, and its even the same color as your build!

71demon.jpg

Edited by BigEdsGarage