Model Cars Magazine Forum

couple questions about a 1996 s10 and 84 gmc 4x4

hi im just getting back in to building models, its been about 6 years since my last build, i never customized one before, the most id do would 2 tone the paint i know how sad compared to what you guys can do, im buliding a 1996 chevy s10 ss, i want to lower it 3 inches in front and 5 in rear, how would i convert/excute the drop on the model? also i want to put a 350 or some sort of chevy v-8 in it instead of the v-6 it came with, has any one done this? what do i need to do to make that work, any pics of the process would be awesome, also i ahve a 1984 gmc 4x4 that i want to convert to a 2wd stepside, to replacate my 1:1 if i ever get it done, how can i convert it from a 4x4 to a 2wd truck? any pics on that also would be great, and im sorry if this isnt the right place for this post thanks for any and al help.

I can help with lowering the S-10. The EASIEST way would be getting ahold of the suspension from the Xtreme kit. Other than that, you can make lowering blocks from styrene for the back, and simply cut the mounting pin off the front and raise it using styrene. I can't tell you much about the engine, but it has been done before. Just test fit, trial and error is how we all learned. If you need any 1:1 reference pics for the S-10 just let me know. I have a 94 X cab and can snap a few pics for you, the suspension is the same from 94-03.

I can help with lowering the S-10. The EASIEST way would be getting ahold of the suspension from the Xtreme kit. Other than that, you can make lowering blocks from styrene for the back, and simply cut the mounting pin off the front and raise it using styrene. I can't tell you much about the engine, but it has been done before. Just test fit, trial and error is how we all learned. If you need any 1:1 reference pics for the S-10 just let me know. I have a 94 X cab and can snap a few pics for you, the suspension is the same from 94-03.

ok thanks i was wondering tho whats the differenc with the xtreme suspension vs. what i have now? or is it just already low? ive built cars and trucks since i was 8, just starten to get back into it and i want to learn how customize them, thanks

ok thanks i was wondering tho whats the differenc with the xtreme suspension vs. what i have now? or is it just already low? ive built cars and trucks since i was 8, just starten to get back into it and i want to learn how customize them, thanks

That's pretty much it, it's just already low. Depending on the wheels and tires you're using and how low you want it to be you may still want to lower it more though.

Zac, Welcome to the site and modeling again! :D

You might want to just trade off the 84 GMC 4x4 for a 2WD stepside instead, but if you must use what you have, don't use the lifting blocks out back & rob a 2WD setup for the front, just as Steve shows, get yourself a stepside bed, & you'll be in business!

Zac, Welcome to the site and modeling again! :)

You might want to just trade off the 84 GMC 4x4 for a 2WD stepside instead, but if you must use what you have, don't use the lifting blocks out back & rob a 2WD setup for the front, just as Steve shows, get yourself a stepside bed, & you'll be in business!

well i was gonna just use a stepside 2wd model but the only one i can find is in the 70's my 1:1 stepside is a 1983so thats why i want to use the 84 gmc since its the dsame body style as my 1:1 unless thers a 2wd version out there i dont kno about? and i need to find the bed and gat abd fenders i had one but it broke when we moved sadley

• 3 weeks later...