Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ and the Bear 1/25

G'day guys, new to this site and can I just say a wealth of info available, it's great.

Anyways, I'm just commencing a Bj and the Bear replica but my truck knowledge is piss-poor, I'm a helicopter man but I have loved the Bj K100 since I was a kid and have now taken the plunge and attempting the build!

I have 2x revell K100's, an ERTL great dane reefer trailer with side door and loads of goodies from Auslowe & KFS. These include stacks, fuel tanks, 2-hole buds for the trailer, air horns, fenders and alloy rims. The rims, particularly the front 10-holes I was a bit disappointed with and was wondering if anyone had any alternatives? Somewhere I read about Ben Wicker? How do I find him or his site? Here's the ones I purchased.

DSCF0612.jpg

My issue is with the centre part of the rim surrounding the hub. It looks to big and the wheel nuts too small or something. Or is it just me? I saw some Ben W rims on a build here and they looked far superior.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by cj0203

Ben is a member here, he goes by the name.."Ben" ;) His wheels are far superior to those aluminum ones pictures above.

To me those aluminum wheels, the center is far to small surrounding the hub., and the lugnuts are far to tiny.

This is what Ben Mastered for Jamie who casts the wheels (mo'luminum) http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/?page_id=3&category=9&product_id=275

Sourkrauts is a truck part dealer. The thing is, most of the mo'luminum stuff arent in stock, so you might need to get Jamie's contact details to get them directly.

G'day guys, new to this site and can I just say a wealth of info available, it's great.

Anyways, I'm just commencing a Bj and the Bear replica but my truck knowledge is piss-poor, I'm a helicopter man but I have loved the Bj K100 since I was a kid and have now taken the plunge and attempting the build!

I have 2x revell K100's, an ERTL great dane reefer trailer with side door and loads of goodies from Auslowe & KFS. These include stacks, fuel tanks, 2-hole buds for the trailer, air horns, fenders and alloy rims. The rims, particularly the front 10-holes I was a bit disappointed with and was wondering if anyone had any alternatives? Somewhere I read about Ben Wicker? How do I find him or his site? Here's the ones I purchased.

DSCF0612.jpg

My issue is with the centre part of the rim surrounding the hub. It looks to big and the wheel nuts too small or something. Or is it just me? I saw some Ben W rims on a build here and they looked far superior.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, Ben here. Thanks for the compliments! You can see some of the wheels i've mastered on my Fotki site.

www.public.fotki.com/lotso

Have a look at the folder titled "model truck wheels"

Thanks guys for the tips, I have contacted both Ben and Jamie in regards to rims. I want this to build to be as accurate as I can get it. On the interior, does anyone know if the interior twin fans are available as an aftermarket item? Just don't know how I would go about making them otherwise

fans.jpg

The trailer will require some heavy mods to make it a brown Co trailer but I've got a few ideas. Also trying to find out if anyone does trailer door hinges, working ones that is? Or am I starting to dream now?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by BjMckay

Once I get the chassis painted, I will start posting pics. On the trailer issue, I found that the best trailer to use is an old ERTL great dane 40' reefer trailer with side door, it will will require the least mods to make it a Brown Co trailer which the BJ rig used. The rear will need some heavy mods, I've got some 2-hole buds and also some evergreen brand 040' half round plastic strips to make up the extra ribs on the sides of the trailer. here's a pic of one of the originals.

100_0509.jpg

Edited by BjMckay

lol thats gonna be alot of fun puttin that 1/2 round stock on and keeping it strait! but i think it will be worth all the effort your putting into this biuld. cant wait to see this one biult

dennis

Yeah I know, gonna have to take that bit slow and easy, glue small sections at a time I think. Any suggestions on how best to do that would be welcome

Edited by BjMckay

I know pretty much all the chassis and components are red in colour, but does that include things like shockies and springs? Finding it hard to find good cahssis pics of that sort of stuff.

I would say with the rest of the chassis being painted red, you would be safe with painting the springs red, too. The only difference would be if the rear suspension has air bags, then the air bags only would be semi gloss or flat black. As for the shocks, it would really depend on if you are building it as a factory fresh truck or one that has seen some miles on the road already. The shocks are usually installed before paint at the factory, so a freshly built truck would have the shocks painted the same as the frame color. On a road used truck that has been driven long enough, the shocks could have been replaced, so the replacements would be painted whatever color the replacement shock manufacture uses.

Yeah I know, gonna have to take that bit slow and easy, glue small sections at a time I think. Any suggestions on how best to do that would be welcome

Hey Chris before you glue those half round strips to the trailer sides, take a long straight edge and a very sharp pencil. Place the edge of that straight edge where the side edge of your half round strip needs to be and draw your straight line. Now you will have a line to place the edge of the half round right up too as your gluing it in place. That should keep things straight and even.

I know pretty much all the chassis and components are red in colour, but does that include things like shockies and springs? Finding it hard to find good cahssis pics of that sort of stuff.

Hey Chris, usually the suspension would be painted after assembly on the real truck. They would take the wheels off and basically spray everything red. You can however, paint the shocks a different color to break things up. Giving the impression that they had been replaced after the truck was painted.

Thanks guys for the hints. I am still deciding as weather to do the rig as factory fresh or showing some wear, maybe I could do two! Think I'll do this one as near factory fresh.

On another note, does anyone have any good pics of K100 chassis wiring set up? The wiring/hoses for the airbags etc? It's, as far as I've researched an airglide100 suspension

Cheers

Chris

Edited by BjMckay

• 4 weeks later...

Just a small update. Still waiting for my new airbrush & compressor so no painting yet. Just fiddling with some plumbing and engine detail.

Bj's rig had a NTC400BC cummins which luckily as far as I can tell is what came in the kit! Just adding and dry fitting filters etc.

My first filter attempt;

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

As I said, nothing painted or glued in place yet, just dry fitting to see what it looks like. Tips welcome as I am no truck aficionado!

Chassis partly assembled. Springs will need lots of putty to seal the joins.

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

Some plumbing on the rear brake boosters

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

Like I said any tips/criticisms welcome guys

Cheers

Chris

Edited by BjMckay

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,

The engine as fitted by Kenworth would normally be painted white. The beige colour is Cummins colour for their engines at that time. If you see an engine painted beige chances are that its been overhauled by Cummins.

Dave

Hey thanks Dave, I'm pretty sure the Bj rig had this beige colour, quite hard to find pics of it though but I will go with that.

Cheers

Chris

By the time the BJ&TB truck was built, Kenworth had was no longer installing white engines. Peterbilt continued for a few years after.

Tim

Chris,

The engine as fitted by Kenworth would normally be painted white. The beige colour is Cummins colour for their engines at that time. If you see an engine painted beige chances are that its been overhauled by Cummins.

Dave