Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ and the Bear 1/25

17 hours ago, Yahshu said:

The AMT KW123 has the correct bases for the seats

It has one as do the W925, the K100 Aerodyne kit has two but not at the same detail level.
You will not see much of them if you don't open the doors but the Revell kit has opening doors so one might want to have the right bases.

Edited by Force

5 hours ago, Force said:

It has one as do the W925, the K100 Aerodyne kit has two but not at the same detail level.
You will not see much of them if you don't open the doors but the Revell kit has opening doors so one might want to have the right bases.

Thanks Force, just checked mine & low & behold there's only one, how rude. 

17 hours ago, Force said:

I’ll hopefully be getting two from the Aerodyne Kit a friend of mine has. I’m using the Revell kit so mine will have doors open and they will show.. Not sure how hard the K123 seat bases are to find!? 

9 hours ago, DrKerry said:

I’ll hopefully be getting two from the Aerodyne Kit a friend of mine has. I’m using the Revell kit so mine will have doors open and they will show.. Not sure how hard the K123 seat bases are to find!? 

Both the AMT K123 and W925 wich has the same drivers seat base has been reissued lately so the kits can't be that hard to find, the K100 Aerodyne kit is also quite easy to find as the Tyrone Malone Papa Truck transporter was reissued not long ago.

6 hours ago, CharlieBravo said:

So from this the best/most accurate representation would be the AMT bases and Auslowe seats?

Yes...or use the seats from the AMT K100 Aerodyne with K123/W925 bases or detail up the bases from the K100 Aerodyne, the seat base can of course be scratch built too as it isn't that complicated.

You decide for yourself how you will attack this.

K100 seats like they are in the BJ truck.

12080292-982373431805944-355661003981996

AMT K123 seat.                                AMT W925 seat.                                                           AMT K100 Aerodyne seat.

10-vib.jpg.31a7f62249ff916b81d11dd026e0cb6b.jpg  Kenworthconventional10b.jpg.7dd262a454f6c31c8579500e4ea5e3c7.jpg KenworthAerodyne18b.jpg.fa483c05149da47f6f86d270d8145c20.jpg

Edited by Force

11 hours ago, Force said:

Both the AMT K123 and W925 wich has the same drivers seat base has been reissued lately so the kits can't be that hard to find, the K100 Aerodyne kit is also quite easy to find as the Tyrone Malone Papa Truck transporter was reissued not long ago.

Yes...or use the seats from the AMT K100 Aerodyne with K123/W925 bases or detail up the bases from the K100 Aerodyne, the seat base can of course be scratch built too as it isn't that complicated.

You decide for yourself how you will attack this.

K100 seats like they are in the BJ truck.

12080292-982373431805944-355661003981996

AMT K123 seat.                                AMT W925 seat.                                                           AMT K100 Aerodyne seat.

10-vib.jpg.31a7f62249ff916b81d11dd026e0cb6b.jpg  Kenworthconventional10b.jpg.7dd262a454f6c31c8579500e4ea5e3c7.jpg KenworthAerodyne18b.jpg.fa483c05149da47f6f86d270d8145c20.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for the info!!

• 2 weeks later...

not much of an update... I've been sanding for weeks..

IMG-5446.jpg

IMG-5448.jpg

IMG-5450.jpg

looking at the rear in the mockup I think I will need to scratch build bigger doors and make the opening bigger so they meet further to the edge of the trailer...

100-0548a.jpg

lIMG-5469.jpg

IMG-5456.jpg

Next is on to the ribbing..

Edited by CharlieBravo

Yeah taking my time as its the only trailer I have..! the plastic seems ok

I am most nervous about the ribbing but I am going to tackle that this week hopefully. I will use Tamiya extra thin cement just in case things get messy which I presume they might. Worst case scenario is I attempt to scratch build the entire side walls of the trailer but I don't really want to do that, I think I can modify this one sufficiently or at least that's the plan...fingers crossed and a beer in hand...

I'd actually like to attempt to sand the ribs down once they are done to give it a more flatter look like the ribs on the actual trailer but I will consider that after they are in place.

2 hours ago, CharlieBravo said:

Yeah taking my time as its the only trailer I have..! the plastic seems ok

I am most nervous about the ribbing but I am going to tackle that this week hopefully. I will use Tamiya extra thin cement just in case things get messy which I presume they might. Worst case scenario is I attempt to scratch build the entire side walls of the trailer but I don't really want to do that, I think I can modify this one sufficiently or at least that's the plan...fingers crossed and a beer in hand...

I'd actually like to attempt to sand the ribs down once they are done to give it a more flatter look like the ribs on the actual trailer but I will consider that after they are in place.

Make sure it’s only one beer! Two could make things messier yet!! Lol

You’re giving me the itch to start mine!! 

• 2 weeks later...

One side ribbed! Didn't take as long as I thought it would. Way back at the start of this thread Ben Wicker suggested drawing a straight pencil line to line up the ribs. This is what i did and it worked perfectly so thanks Ben!!

No I just have to do the other side and finish the door relocation..

IMG-5523.jpg

IMG-5532a.jpgIMG-5527.jpg

IMG-5529.jpg

I am thinking of sanding down the ribs to give them a flatter appearance just like the real thing, not sure though if I want to mess with it though...

Edited by CharlieBravo

Looking good! I got to looking at the Coca Cola trailer and the back end and doors and such. If I’m seeing it right I think the doors on that are closer to the Bear trailer! They are wider and come closer to the outer edges of the frame work. If someone can verify that it would be helpful!! 

• 1 month later...

very little to report guys, it's been few and far between days on the bench.

I've finished the ribbing of both sides, just needs some clean up. The sides are fairly close to how I want them now. I am going to sand down the ribs slightly to give them a flatter appearance.  I've got some Archer rivets coming to hopefully replace some of the detail I have lost removing the Great Dane branding etc. The side door opening was a bit of pot luck as I just added sufficient framing with evergreen to make it look accurate and low and behold the side door fits in the groove perfectly!! So the side door relocation and the ribbing was a success for me.

IMG-5841.jpg

IMG-5842.jpg

IMG-5846.jpg

IMG-5848.jpg

IMG-5878.jpg

IMG-5874.jpg

I have also trimmed the rear trailer framing as the kit doors needed to be larger; it is already heavily modified but needed more tweaking.

IMG-5858.jpg

IMG-5859.jpg

Edited by CharlieBravo

• 2 years later...

Still going on this build! It's been a busy 12 months and little and sporadic time on the bench but still chipping away.

modified kit reefer to get the control panel on the correct side.

Added some bolt detail to chassis.

used balsa wood and varnish to create the Brown mfg trailer inside walls.

still plugging away on the scratchbuilt aerodyne dash. Not sure how I will replicate the rocker switches yet, any ideas?

used a 3D printed Hutchens suspension with scratchbuilt frame.

Raised the floor of the kit trailer and detailed the ribbed floor.

Got some momentum!

IMG_6023.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6027.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

NQLE7284.JPG

PEWZ1821.JPG

IMG_6062.JPG

IMG_6064.JPG

IMG_6217.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4951.JPG