Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ and the Bear 1/25

Thanks guys for the tips, I have contacted both Ben and Jamie in regards to rims. I want this to build to be as accurate as I can get it. On the interior, does anyone know if the interior twin fans are available as an aftermarket item? Just don't know how I would go about making them otherwise

fans.jpg

The trailer will require some heavy mods to make it a brown Co trailer but I've got a few ideas. Also trying to find out if anyone does trailer door hinges, working ones that is? Or am I starting to dream now?

Cheers

Chris

You dreaming,,,,,,:), there is a old trailer about a block from the house what year and make don't know but maybe you can get a idea,I'll get a photos of the hinges. In fact I went trailer hunting yesterday and left the camera as home.

• 2 weeks later...

More Engine work today. (I know, I know, I'm the slowest modeler in the world!)

Wasn't happy with my last attempts on the cylinder head cover area so started from scratch and made a complete new one.

Old attempt;

IMG_1894.jpg

New work;

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

adding some bolts;

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

Still need to sand down the bolts more

IMG_1939.jpg

This kit has a twin turbo set up. I needed to modify one for the single turbo setup as they were back-to-front if you know what I mean. Blue one is the original. I had to cut up the yellow one and rejoin in reverse.

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Edited by BjMckay

outstanding work, Chris your engine looks great. I don't bother with the bolt head detail but it really stands out. for me I think adding that detail would take the fun out of it, I'm already using a worklight with magnifying glass and reading glasses.unsure.gif

outstanding work, Chris your engine looks great. I don't bother with the bolt head detail but it really stands out. for me I think adding that detail would take the fun out of it, I'm already using a worklight with magnifying glass and reading glasses.unsure.gif

Thanks Cam.

The bolts weren't as painstaking as I thought, just used some hex-shaped platic rod, cut off small bits, then sanded them down carefully after they were glued.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 year later...

Still alive!!!

Thanks for the interest guys.

This is my pet project and I've never built a truck model before(apart from a 1/32 BJ kit) so want to get it right. But yes it's been a long time since I've updated and even worked on it. I have still been sourcing aftermarket parts such as the Ben Wicker aluminum wheels, I posted shots of that in another thread titled "Aluminum 10-hole Alcoas". They are awesome so thanks to Ben and Jim Littiken for those.

Been hell busy as I'm trying to get into the Australian Army as a helicopter pilot so it's taking a lot of my focus, that and my new baby girl Charlie, free time is hard to find!!! Enough excuses though.

I have completely changed the work I've done on the motor again! I have got a hold of a few pieces from an Italeri Cummins which I'm incorporating into the Revell motor. I will try and post some pics of that tomorrow. I sometimes think my vision far exceeds my skill level though, especially when I see fine work like Sergey's "Love Machine" build for instance. That is some master work.

I need to get cracking.

Chris

Thanks Dennis and Jaroslav, your comments are much appreciated. Scott, I've seen those hinges of yours, they're great and will have a crack at doing them myself also.

I have been still fiddling with the aftercooler area and have knocked up another attempt using parts from an Italeri kit. I am happy with it but now my problem is seeing they are 1/24 scale, they may well be too big for the revell engine? On a dry fit, it may end up being too high and too wide, but will persevere at the moment. Here's some pics. The black part is the Italeri kit part.

IMG_2389.jpg

I have posted these before in a separate thread but here's some shots of my aluminium wheels that I've had made

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

On a separate note and pardon me for my lack of knowledge but can anyone tell me what this is and what is it's purpose? I notice it's on some Cummins and not others?

Copyofsd20.jpg

BJ's rig had a Cummins NTC400BC. Does anyone know if this part is standard on that motor or should it be left off?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by cj0203

Attached is a picture of my K100 with Ben's wheels.

Leo

7dcf445c.jpg

This is one beautiful truck Leo!! Looks good with the flat top, love the stripes, nice rims too, do they fit AMT tires?

These are the ones I got from KFS, the hubs are not removeable though, so if you want to see the stock hubs, no luck here.

But they are really nice, the machining and finish on them is top notch. the tires are the regular issue Italeri items that are included with these wheels. So they are 1:24th scale. I photographed one front and one of the back wheels reversed to show what they look like from the back. Will need a little imagination for rotating wheels but I think I have an idea for that already. Lotsa bolts to install too...

Don't know which lucky truck is going to get them just yet...

cimg1178r.jpg

t0jkwp.jpg

bgphmx.jpg

Here showing the back sides:

1zyrrc.jpg

Edited by Z06Bob