Model Cars Magazine Forum

More Photoshop Phun

Harry P.

Mama Mia!!!

Heh, maybe there's an MCM Race Car on the drawing board somewhere????

Incredible work, as usual!

On the drawing boards, but not nearly to Harry's standards! ;) This was headed for a LaMans build here, but as usual for me, it never got too far.

MCM_porsche-911-gt1-3sml.jpg

Im Not Worthy......Harry you are the man i wish i had that kinda skills in photoshop. I do 3D grafix though I'll post some here for you to see (but in my own thread of course) :lol:

Thanks, Romell. It took me a while to get the hang of Photoshop, but now that I know it inside and out, there's nothing I can't create with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Photoshop for all my image editing, but I'm a rank amateur compared to the skills you have, Harry. What you do is unfathomable to me! You had to have a mentor that taught you all the secret shortcut keys! :)

There are really no "shortcuts" for drawing/painting in Photoshop. It's done bit by bit, just like an airbrushed illustration; the difference is the "airbrush" in Photoshop works electronically... but it works just like a "real" airbrush as far as how it lays down color... except of course it never clogs, and I never run out of colors. :)

I am still only scratching the surface of PS. So do you use a tablet? It would be nice to see a brief how to again. There are just so many tools it is hard to figure out which one to use and how they work. I still have yet to get the pen tool down.

Mike

I am still only scratching the surface of PS. So do you use a tablet? It would be nice to see a brief how to again. There are just so many tools it is hard to figure out which one to use and how they work. I still have yet to get the pen tool down.

Mike

I tried a tablet but didn't like it. I use a mouse. The main PS tools I use are the Lasso tool (for drawing shapes), the Brush tool (for filling in colors), and the Eraser and Smudge tools to soften edges. I use other tricks too, but I do 95% of the work with those tools (plus filters like brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, etc. to fine-tune things).

Picture-1.jpg

Those are simply amazing Harry. Do you sell the finished items or is it simply a passion you have? I for one would have no problem purchasing something of that quality. Great job!

I can't wait to see one take shape in your tutorial thread.

Those are simply amazing Harry. Do you sell the finished items or is it simply a passion you have? I for one would have no problem purchasing something of that quality. Great job!

I can't wait to see one take shape in your tutorial thread.

So far I've only done them for fun.

As one point I was seriously considering doing them for a living... that is, if I could sell enough to actually make a living. I was going to set up a website and offer "Car Portraits"... you know, the customer sends me a photo of the car they want done, and I create a "portrait" for them using their photo as a reference. But given the time it takes to do just one illustration, I'd have to charge big bucks in order to make it worth my time, and the amount I'd have to charge for each portrait to actually make a living doing them made me think that there wouldn't be a big market for them. (I had intended on creating one-of-a-kind, original illustrations for every customer, not copies or prints of previous illustrations I had done. Each one was going to be "custom.")

Maybe classic car collectors or celebrity car collectors or just people with money to spend would be interested and willing to pay what I would charge for a portrait (Hey Jay Leno... are you listening?)

But my idea never got beyond the "idea" stage... ;) Maybe some day I'll make a go of it, but I haven't so far...

So far I've only done them for fun.

As one point I was seriously considering doing them for a living... that is, if I could sell enough to actually make a living. I was going to set up a website and offer "Car Portraits"... you know, the customer sends me a photo of the car they want done, and I create a "portrait" for them using their photo as a reference. But given the time it takes to do just one illustration, I'd have to charge big bucks in order to make it worth my time, and the amount I'd have to charge for each portrait to actually make a living doing them made me think that there wouldn't be a big market for them. (I had intended on creating one-of-a-kind, original illustrations for every customer, not copies or prints of previous illustrations I had done. Each one was going to be "custom.")

Maybe classic car collectors or celebrity car collectors or just people with money to spend would be interested and willing to pay what I would charge for a portrait (Hey Jay Leno... are you listening?)

But my idea never got beyond the "idea" stage... ;) Maybe some day I'll make a go of it, but I haven't so far...

You should Harry. Living up in the windy you will not find enough of a client base. But thinking along Barret Jackson locations Ca ,West Palm, Scottsdale

where I live and 1/2 hour away we see lots of big buck cars...and owners who have 4 or 5 houses...each stocked with a fleet of cars...Go for it !!:blink:B);)

They will pay $$$$ for that quality......I know what the local top shooters make......same difference.