Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm starting to collect parts to build a GMC van that my daughter had in school. It's almost a junker as can see in the photo, but will be a fun build. It's an '83 and looks like an AMT A-Team Van will fit the bill nicely, assuming I can find one for a reasonable price! That's the first question ... if anyone has one taking up needed space, please contact me! ;)

gmcvanP6291581.jpg

There were 8-bolt wheels on her van so I need to find these somewhere. I have searched the resin casters I know of making truck wheels, but I'm not a truck modeler and have most likely missed some. Anyone knowing where I might obtain 8-lug wheels please let me know. I'm going to have to locate some heavier tires also, but those at Ma's Resin may fit the bill.

reartireP6291591.jpg

The A-Team van has the correct front lights and grill so it looks like just bumpers will need to be made. I'm wondering if there's a GMC or Chevy pickup that may have the correct bumpers?

The suspension and undersides I'm not going to worry about, so just some bodywork making the windows and little touches and this may be an easy build if I can locate the above parts! :)

Edited by Foxer

Ahhhh Yes, I once had an 82 Beauville window van as a work car. Man that thing was a BIG Ol' thang!!!! But she ran like a clock! I STILL see it occasionally, all rusted out now, but she's STILL runnin! IF you could find a AMT window van, all you'd need to do is change tha grille! It'd save ya the hassle of cuttin the windows out.biggrin.gifwink.gif

Ahhhh Yes, I once had an 82 Beauville window van as a work car. Man that thing was a BIG Ol' thang!!!! But she ran like a clock! I STILL see it occasionally, all rusted out now, but she's STILL runnin! IF you could find a AMT window van, all you'd need to do is change tha grille! It'd save ya the hassle of cuttin the windows out.biggrin.gifwink.gif

I didn't know there was a regular kit of this. Do ypu know more the exact name of it? called a Window Van?

edit: I found another topic here about these AMT Chevy vans. The original ones were the Fire/Rescue and was a couple others. I have seen these and the front grill and Tail lights are not the same as the A-Team van in which they were updated to '83 model and even changed to a GMC. Though the A-Team has the side windows filled, I have no problem creating them.

Edited by Foxer

I didn't know there was a regular kit of this. Do ypu know more the exact name of it? called a Window Van?

edit: I found another topic here about these AMT Chevy vans. The original ones were the Fire/Rescue and was a couple others. I have seen these and the front grill and Tail lights are not the same as the A-Team van in which they were updated to '83 model and even changed to a GMC. Though the A-Team has the side windows filled, I have no problem creating them.

The Fire/Rescue van body has scored sides and frames for the windows to be glued in seperately. It can be built this way or solid side. The old kits don't contain the correct grille and bumpers but all are based on the same molds with some revisions. The later versions have the ridges in the roof and some older issues had a molded in hood and not the opening type. Need to dig thru my stash to see what's what....

The Fire/Rescue van body has scored sides and frames for the windows to be glued in separately. It can be built this way or solid side. The old kits don't contain the correct grille and bumpers but all are based on the same molds with some revisions. The later versions have the ridges in the roof and some older issues had a molded in hood and not the opening type. Need to dig thru my stash to see what's what....

Ah, that's cool! Maybe I'll have to get both the A-Team and Chevy to make things easy. Though I'm wondering if the inside window markings are still on the A-Team body. Having window frames would also be a help to speed it along, though. The bumpers would also help. :huh:

The A Team van kit doesn't have the scored lines or window frames. The scored lines for opening the entire roof for a roof extension is still there. The hood is molded in and the dash isn't correct for '83. The ridges on the outside of the roof are reasonably accurate. The dashes got changed thru the years on these vans too. I saw a '74 close to where I was working and the dash in that one is different from the AMT kits. The dash was not changed. The dash in the Revell '70's custom van kits won't help either though it looks like the '74 I saw today. Not sure what year but in late '70's the steering column was changed to a less bus style angle. I don't know what you have for computer access or internet connection but I often look on Ebay Motors for the make, model, and year vehicle I want to model. Finding a real one you can photo is even better but there don't seem to be many of them around....

Edited by skmodelcars

You also have to look at is it a long wheelbase or short wheelbase, the easiest way to see is look at between the side doors and the rear fender well, the long wheelbase has a panel there short one dont. The van models also come this way. I belong to a forrum www.vannin.com, i build van models i have around 100 not built yet and about 30 built, i have bodys, parts anything to do with vans, i love vans, my family always had custom vans. also if your looking for the 8 lug wheels look for its a dodge 4x4 truck (i cant remember the name here) it has great 8 lug wheels on it, i have one here i wil see if i can find the instructions to get the name of it. For the body, figure out what you need i might be able to help you

Edited by gray07

You also have to look at is it a long wheelbase or short wheelbase, the easiest way to see is look at between the side doors and the rear fender well, the long wheelbase has a panel there short one dont. The van models also come this way. I belong to a forrum www.vannin.com, i build van models i have around 100 not built yet and about 30 built, i have bodys, parts anything to do with vans, i love vans, my family always had custom vans. also if your looking for the 8 lug wheels look for its a dodge 4x4 truck (i cant remember the name here) it has great 8 lug wheels on it, i have one here i wil see if i can find the instructions to get the name of it. For the body, figure out what you need i might be able to help you

Thank's for the hints , Darrin! While searching today I did come upon that 4x4 kit with the 8-lug wheels .. an MPC 1077 Dodge Pickup Truck Longbed 4x4. The wheels look pretty deep dish but should be no problem making them shallower, assuming I can find a kit. I'll have to check out that web site.

Here's a shot of the passenger side. From your description it looks like a long wheelbase. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to have to stretch the chassis and body. Oh well, this wouldn't be any different that all the other "easy" projects I start!

ReneeVanP6291591.jpg

Edited by Foxer

Hey, are you sure the 1:1 van is an '83? The grille & tail lights look like they're from an '85 van.

I'm caught again! I was thrown off because this on has single headlights with the turn signals underneath. I thought, from photos I've seen, that the later ones had dual headlights stacked in the same area. But, my daughter just told me that her's was an '85. :lol: .. thanks for the heads up.

I knew I asked these questions in the right place ... SO much knowledge resides here! :)

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...

The A-Team van has almost everything you need to build the van in your pics except the wheels. There's nothing in the older Chevy issues of the van that you'd need since you're gonna cut out the side windows yourself anyway,

The dash and seats would be way off though, Those mirrors are in the AMT[MPC] '84 GMC 4X4 pickup.

Same grille and bumpers are also in the A-Team kit. You'll just have to fill in a couple very small notches in the front bumper where driving lights and/or pushbar mounts to it and cut the air dam off the bottom.

I thought the dash had the basic shape from photos I had seen, but will have to wait for my A-Team (YES-- I found one!) van to arrive. Those mirrors are funky and thought I'd have to make them. Thank's for the heads up on the 4x4.

It's down to just the wheels now. Easiest way may be just to strip some old steelies and add the bolts to those.

Well .. tires. They are 8.60x16.5 LT's so I'll have to find some large ones somewhere. Probably not a lot of people looking in here anymore, but if anyone know's who casts something similar in resin, please let me know. Oddly, most resin casters seem to neglect to give the ID/OD of the tires they cast it's very difficult to tell if they will fit ... and sale LOST!

It's down to just the wheels now. Easiest way may be just to strip some old steelies and add the bolts to those.

Probley the best way to do that since the MPC dodge wheels are more like 1/20 scale

Since I have a set of the dodge wheels right here and they measure out to almost 20"inch in

1/24 scale and 19"inch in 1/25 scale and quit deep too..

Is there any other kit that has 3/4 or 1 ton wheels??

What's this world coming too?? :rolleyes:

And the only Chevy Van kit I got is the reissue Revell Van/Boat Combo..

• 3 weeks later...

Thank's for the hints , Darrin! While searching today I did come upon that 4x4 kit with the 8-lug wheels .. an MPC 1077 Dodge Pickup Truck Longbed 4x4. The wheels look pretty deep dish but should be no problem making them shallower, assuming I can find a kit. I'll have to check out that web site.

Here's a shot of the passenger side. From your description it looks like a long wheelbase. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to have to stretch the chassis and body. Oh well, this wouldn't be any different that all the other "easy" projects I start!

ReneeVanP6291591.jpg

Have you considered the wheels and tires from the AMT 73-79 F 350? Those are 8 lug 16 or 16.5 wheels and tires on that kit I do believe. It's likely soimeone will have a set of wheels and tires kicking around if you post in the WANTED section.. hope this helps.