Model Cars Magazine Forum

-58 Chevy Impala vs. -56 Buick Roadmaster

Wich one is YOUR favourite?  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1958 Chevrolet Impala
    • 1956 Buick Roadmaster

Luv tha Buick, FYI ...growing up in tha 50s, contrary to tha popular misconception ( 2 dr hdtops being tha most popular), it was 4 dr hdtops that everyone wanted. It was also tha 4 dr hdtops that had tha most engine options, i.e. 4 dr hdtop 57 Chevy's with Fuel Injections. 4dr hdtop 57 Ford's w/ supercharged 312, two versions.

Zeb :twisted:

I have to give it to the Roadmaster too in this case. I always have loved two door hardtops........but they were very common in the '60-'70's and are mostly what is seen at the collector shows today.

However, 4 door hardtops are hardly ever seen, and I think they're a bit better looking in some cases.

From a practical standpoint though...........one of the reasons I won't consider a 4 door today is I CAN'T STAND that ugly center pillar! :shock: It blocks my peripheral vision because being a tall guy (6'3"), I have to have the seat as far back as it'll go.

It never fails that the "B" pillar is right on the side of my face blocking my left side vision, not to mention seeing traffic from the right side of the road if at an intersection.

The first car maker that can come up with a 4 door hardtop that can meet today's federal rollover standards will have my money! :mrgreen:

well i always understood the aversion to 4 doors to be a matter of weight: 2 extra doors with hardware plus window roller hardware etc. at any rate i think a 4 door looks like a tank while a 2 door looks sleek even when it is actually a, well, tank with two doors!

you see a lot of modern "rat rodded" four doors these days; i generally consider that a result of all the "good ones" (ie: 2 doors) being swept up long ago.

anyway i gotta go with the chevy still.