Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Peterbuilt Wrecker, Kenworth Conversion

Sounds like me, the only livestock I ever hauled was already dead and frozen! ;)

Heres a little known fact about me shhhhh....dont tell anyone :lol: I used to haul marble slabs between L.A. and LasVegus when I was 21 years old wasnt supposed to be behind the wheel but a good friend of the family owned a trucking company. I also used to do some cross counrty in my 30's (i was legal then). And before I purchased my storage facility I owned my own company we hauled new cars to dealerships all over southern Cali(three 10 car screw rigs). So im not really new to truckin just to the intricates of the builds. :blink:

Edited by Aftashox

Heres a little known fact about me shhhhh....dont tell anyone :unsure: I used to haul marble slabs between L.A. and LasVegus when I was 21 years old wasnt supposed to be behind the wheel but a good friend of the family owned a trucking company. I also used to do some cross counrty in my 30's (i was legal then). And before I purchased my storage facility I owned my own company we hauled new cars to dealerships all over southern Cali(three 10 car screw rigs). So im not really new to truckin just to the intricates of the builds. B)

lol so what your sayin is untill now, youve been a closet trucker lol?? i bet you just loved that entertaining run between socal and vegas. the scenery sucks, but you sure see alot of intersesting "wink wink" things on that part of I-15 lol!! ive made that run about 100 times or so, and probly 35 to 40 times i seen a "show" before i got to vegas lol. nothin like drivin a truck, COMON!!

dennis

Heres a little known fact about me shhhhh....dont tell anyone :unsure: I used to haul marble slabs between L.A. and LasVegus when I was 21 years old wasnt supposed to be behind the wheel but a good friend of the family owned a trucking company. I also used to do some cross counrty in my 30's (i was legal then). And before I purchased my storage facility I owned my own company we hauled new cars to dealerships all over southern Cali(three 10 car screw rigs). So im not really new to truckin just to the intricates of the builds. B)

Man, just when you think you know someone! :lol::lol:

wow thats a toss up romell, they both look good. but i gotta say i lke that aerodyne sleeper better.what ya gonna do about the skirting? take it back to the body or cut it short? that is one big wrecker!! lookin good

dennis

Gonna cut the skirting short and make it even with the rear of the sleeper.

Rommel, I reckon you are onto a good thing with the new cab and sleeper. The overall length of this beast now looks more balanced and the twin steer now looks more proportioned. Any way you to decide to go is still gonna look great in the end, this is gonna be one cool truck.

Thx fellas you have helped me to make up my mind on the cab switch over I feel it has an overall better look to it as well and will move forward from here with the new cab. Dang! Now I have to add lighting to it LOL! so goes improvement B)

lol so what your sayin is untill now, youve been a closet trucker lol?? i bet you just loved that entertaining run between socal and vegas. the scenery sucks, but you sure see alot of intersesting "wink wink" things on that part of I-15 lol!! ive made that run about 100 times or so, and probly 35 to 40 times i seen a "show" before i got to vegas lol. nothin like drivin a truck, COMON!!

dennis

Yes sir ive seen my share of those shows :lol:;) And your right theres nothing like driving I miss it sometimes. :D I been thinking about gettin another car hauler for some extra income do some weekend short hauls

Edited by Aftashox

Well heres the update I promised but its not what i had planed because I ended up breaking one of the lights I made. I had also planed on doing a sort of tutorial for you but I didnt have my photographer (wifey) so next time. now heres the pics I have of the headlights.....I hope you enjoy

I used the tiny 1.8mm LED's from model train softwarethese guys have the best LED's and the best service and will even replace broken LED's

newlighting001.jpg

newlighting002.jpg

With LED's this small I was able to use the headlight bezels from the kit I used my dremel to make a small hole just big enough for the LED to stick through.

newlighting003.jpg

I used the heat from my soldering gun to melt a small space out of the plastic that covers the wires so I can splice wires and solder LED's together, then solder them.

newlighting004.jpg

Here you see the splice and solder

newlighting005.jpg

Heres the finished headlight....

newlighting006.jpg

I actually blinded myself when I hooked up the power source, these LED's are that bright!

newlighting007.jpg

Please stay tuned for more to come.

Romell,

Curious! If you wanted to tone down the intensity, could you use several 1.5 volt(AA, C or D in series) or a 6 volt lantern battery instead? I know the voltage would be lower but don't know about the initial jolt from the battery, would a larger battery, such as the lantern, deliver a stronger jolt resulting in damage to the LED's or simply last longer?

I think this is something to consider, after all, you are going for scale realism so the light intensity should fall into scale as well.

I used to experiment with this kind of stuff when younger. I lit up a K100 Aerodyne way back when with bulbs shaped like scale headlights and GOW bulbs for the markers. Of course, it was very amateur looking as I was in my mid teens at the time but I thought it was the coolest thing since cherry koolade.

Keep up the great work! You are an inspiration to most, if not, all of us.

Romell: What an impressive build you have going! I agree with mountaindewd that the LED brightness could be modified. Here's a link to an interesting read on LED lighting for models. Basically, a resistor from Radio Shack will do.

http://www.modelshipwrightsdatabase.com/Articles/led_lighting_for_model_ships.pdf

Keep up the good work!

Bryan

Thx fellas for the concern and compliments but the lighting isnt a problem. Once everything is hooked up in series then all the lighting will dim down a bit. The problem with using differant power sources is it has to be on the model itself there will not be any wires leading off the model so it must be self contained, a 9v is easy to hide. ;)

Would you have some tip and trick you could give us.I been won't too do the same thing but I don't know the red from the white.

I will do my best clayton to provide some sort of tutorial but to put it quite simply theres not much to installing LED's just make sure the wires are hooked up the same (red to red) or if you dont have wires the short stem is always your neg (-)and make sure the polarity is right. you can use 4 AA batterys or 1 9v battery