Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage Dio

dannyi

Hi fellas.....thought I'd post my WIP garage dio. It's a 1920's building converted to a repair garage. The time frame is the late 50's. It's modeled after an inner city garage, like something you might find in New York.

..the basic concept....

DSCN1116.jpg

DSCN1154.jpg

DSCN1229.jpg

...thanks guys, appreciate the nice comments!

...Vaughn, the over all size is 25"L X 12"W X 10"H, and the brick work is foam board. I'll post some pics.

...John, the handles are from Ozark Miniatures, their white metal castings. The plumbing is styrene tubing and the plumbing connections are resin casts of Ozark Miniatures boiler parts.

..here's a scrap piece foam board that I scribed......

DSCN1223.jpg

and here's a couple pics of the painting process....

...this was a section that turned out too dark so I did it over, first it's primed in white. (all paints are acrylic)

DSCN1176.jpg

....then the first coat of color....

DSCN1177.jpg

...then the second, shown with just the top half done.....

DSCN1178.jpg

..thanks Jim and Mike! I'm having a blast with this dio and learning a lot as I go along. This will probably be an on going project for a long time. I'd like to really detail the heck out of it. Try some new things like electrical outlets and conduit, some air lines and hoses, plus all the little stuff, boxes, oil cans, tools and etc.

I am probably the only one that noticed the brick work is excellent ,the plumbing looks great ,the beams and rafters are spot on over all a very realistic diorama I look forward to seeing this progress and please keep the how tos coming it is always cool to see how you approach these different aspects. and the weathering is top notch. :rolleyes:

.....thanks fellas, appreciate your posts!

...I've got a couple of real life projects going on right at the moment so time at the bench is limited but I'll remember to take plenty of pics as I go along. I also like to see "how to's". That's one of the ways we improve in this hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

..haven't been able to spend much time on the garage but did get started on some detail parts. This is going to be the overhead heater. I found a reference pic of an old Reznor gas heater. It's suppose to be from the 30's. Unfortunately I accidental deleted the pic and can't find it again. So I'm going of what I remembered of it.

DSCN1707.jpg

DSCN1708.jpg

....it's going to get a fan, control valve and vent pipe to finish it off......more to come as time permits..lol