Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 1:1 67 Chevelle Hot Rod Build

Man! I sat here looking at these pics and i started to convience myself that the headers were to small. so I ran out side with a tape measure ready to to give Jegs High Performance a piece of my mind for sending me the wrong size headers. I pulled out the tape measure put it to the primary and it read 1 7/8 ok thats right, so i checked the collectors the whole time thinking to myself "these better be 3 inches. Put the tape to em and they were. Hmmmmmm..... I came back inside and had another look at the pics, It seems the angle that the pic was taken gives an illusion of the pipes being small.

If you look at the top two photos the primaries look fine but that last pic throws a kink in the whole program. Oh well it is what it is.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Aftashox

I would like to hear your take on running aluminum rods in a street car. Ive built plenty of race cars and street cars but never ran aluminum rods in a street motor due to stretch and fatgue. Just curious on your opinion...

Edited by TxRat

I would like to hear your take on running aluminum rods in a street car. Ive built plenty of race cars and street cars but never ran aluminum rods in a street motor due to stretch and fatgue. Just curious on your opinion...

Well heres my take on that: I have plenty of buddys in the HotRod community out here that have run aluminum rods in their rides. 1. I know theres the risk of stress and fatigue, but really that comes under high stress situtations ie. racing. 2. proper warm up is critical the car must be up to operating temperature before hitting the street. 3. My car is a weekend worrior that will only be driven to local car shows and cruize nites. The guys I know with aluminum rods all have well over 6,000 miles on there cars and one of my friends is just seeing how far he can go on his set of aluminum rods (9800 miles and counting). You see i wouldnt have done this just 5 years ago but aluminum rods have changed so much that guys are starting to use them more and more. Hey and heres the kicker the fun of having a HotRod for me is building it, If i punch a hole in my block I'll pull the 502 out of the creat and get to work on it, I have a weiand blower thats just screaming to get out of the box. Thx for your question and i'll talk to you again soon. Romell

So, What are the specs on the motor, Cam specs at .050 compression, etc. who built the heads and what did they flow on the bench.

What are your expectations from the car 1/4 times etc.

I'm definitely interested in the cars performance...

here are a few small details for ya (cause I cant find my specs sheet):

motor: 454 70 over, Aries pistons 12:1 compression, BME aluminum rods, stock steel chevy crank, 990 High performance heads, stainless valves, competition cam 650 lift 254: .050 110 LC , High performance dual spring solid fifters, Haze clutch, borgwarner super T10 tranny, 9' ford rear end w/ toms Axels 35 spline, Detroit lockers 370 gear when I find my specs sheet I'll let you know what the flow on the bench was. ecspecting to run mid to high 9's in the 1/4 but i'll probably never see that cause my wife has banned me from the track. LOL! :lol:

Edited by Aftashox

here are a few small details for ya (cause I cant find my specs sheet):

motor: 454 70 over, Aries pistons 12:1 compression, BME aluminum rods, stock steel chevy crank, 990 High performance heads, stainless valves, competition cam 650 lift 254: .050 110 LC , High performance dual spring solid fifters, Haze clutch, borgwarner super T10 tranny, 9' ford rear end w/ toms Axels 35 spline, Detroit lockers 370 gear when I find my specs sheet I'll let you know what the flow on the bench was. ecspecting to run mid to high 9's in the 1/4 but i'll probably never see that cause my wife has banned me from the track. LOL! :lol:

mid to high 9's is impressive numbers. Just curious as to how you plan to get the car to hook up. you doing anything to the suspension?

mid to high 9's is impressive numbers. Just curious as to how you plan to get the car to hook up. you doing anything to the suspension?

Yeah I'll be installing a Competition Enineering Magnum series 4 link.

Edited by Aftashox

You could always get on a back road and go from telephone pole to pole 5 pole equal close to a quarter.

No way my friend Im right up the street from willow springs race track where I can 1/4 mile legally, Here in southern Cali if you get caught street racing, they take your car and crush it and make you watch. then send you a bill for it. :D

Edited by Aftashox

Hey Romell, that's some machine ya got there! Impressive stuff, lots of goodies laying about, hehe. I also have some parts in my living room. But you don't want to be sitting in a traffic jam too long with that clutch....! I used to have a '70 El Camino SS454, M22 with such a unit, and it could be a killer on the left leg! Too bad I sold that car, but I have another, a '72 not as bad. Had it almost ten years. A nice cruiser, 350/350 that I plan to get a Performer RPM head/cam/intake kit for. Think I need to lessen my stash of styrene. Too much stuff just sitting idle. It would be cool to see your progress IRL. I might just be visiting San Diego in a couple of months, I hope.... :lol:

If you check my photobucket link, there's pics of the Elky on the left side menu

Edited by Modellpularn