Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi all...I want to get some feed back from you all.....

I was given an AMT 1950 Chevy 3100 pickem up truck and I want to mount it to the AMT 1960 Chevy Custom Fleetside truck frame. I have mocked it up and with some trimming on the floorboards, the frame fits nice. I am thinking of customizing the 50 body by lowering it over the frame and leaving off the running boards. Also trimming the front lower fenders for a better fit. I want to raise the bed higher on the body and maybe take the side trim from the cab and somehow run it into the bed sides. Any feed back or ideas would so be appreciated. If any of you have tried something like this please let me know your results. I would love to hear from you at...foundontherails@yahoo.com...Thanks Paul

you need to find article on the rod and custom dream truck; i think mark gustavson was the mastermind on that model. i may of course be wrong and plenty of folks here would know who did it. the 50 chevy is a great starting point for a custom because nothing looks right on it stock! anything you do is an improvement. getting the front down and slimming the profile help a lot; losing the running boards and lowering the nose by taking a pie cut will bring it into line too. the bed is the falling down point on any pickup; some are terribly difficult to work with unless you go for full custom non-functional design. the '60 frame is inspired thinking; it had not occurred to me to use it under the 50 cab. keep us posted!

You know? I have all those articles on Mark building the dream truck photocopied if you need a set. Just e-mail me. There are a lot of pages though. Mark never left anything out. Super super build-up of a famous Rod and Custom in our history. While we are on the 50 chevy truck; What year did they not have the peak in the top at the windshield? I hate that look. dgharrell1@yahoo.com ratrodder doug

1954 waz tha 1st year that Chevrolet offered tha one-piece widnshield on it's P/U truck, although yu could still buy tha split-windshield. 1955 was tha complete re-design of tha body where Chevrolet did away with tha spilt windshield forever after. :wink:

Zeb :twisted:

I like it and all, but to me it just does not look like a truck. I like all the mods, but it lost all the flavor of the 50. I want to strip mine down and make a mean basic hauler. I might do some body mods, especially in the bed area (bring it the level more even with the body lines) but I like the look of the basic truck. Love the balloon fenders and the peaked hood. I just think that it would look good lowered on a newer frame with a newer engine under it. I am still debating whether I will use the six banger with the 60 chassis or maybe a small block chevy. The engine bay will hold just about anything you can throw at it. I am trying to determine the height of the body on the frame and how much I will have to narrow the front end to fit some nice wheels under it. The 60 front end is too wide in stock form. Oh well, nothing some parts box jumping will not solve.

Thanks for all your imput and please keep it coming...thanx...Paul

Paul, if I recall correctly, when Chevy introduced their 5 cylinder engine for the Colorado trucks it built a modified 51-54 Pick up with this engine. It was red and had 17" Corvette wheels. They deleted the running boards and made some other modifications that really improved the look of the truck. It may have been in Hot Rod or some other car mag. Maybe this is what your'e looking for. If I find the site I'll list it.