Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Dodge Charger

Guest JamesDE

Guest JamesDE

Got this kit today and couldnt wait to start it...Something a little different from me...

Trunk has been opened, jambed, and hinged... Gonna start working on the motor...

008-21.jpg

009-16.jpg

012-10.jpg

013-7.jpg

014-7.jpg

015-6.jpg

Guest JamesDE

Got the engine painted.... Since there isnt an exact color match to Hemi Orange... I used Chevy engine red and then put a couple coats of turn signal amber on top....

Drilled holes for the plug wires as well... Still got a good ways to go on the motor....

Thanks for looking....

002-42.jpg

003-39.jpg

005-31.jpg

006-30.jpg

007-27.jpg

008-22.jpg

Well, I have an update....

Interior is done, body is foiled, engine is done for the most part, and this is one of those kits that is gonna kill me before its over with....

Went to wire the engine and I messed up the wiring, so I pulled the wires from the motor and of course they break off and I couldnt get the wire out, so no wired engine on this one... Foil was a big pain in the butt, and Im just so annoyed with this one that I wanna put it to the side, but I just wanna get it finished...

I may end up taking a break from this after the glass and the interior and chassis are installed...

So here are pics of my piece of ######....

002-44.jpg

005-32.jpg

004-34.jpg

006-31.jpg

Looking very nice! Of all the Chargers, 1968 is my favorite year.

I don't know why it is (my guess is that niether Tamiya nor Model Master makes it...even though Model Master Laquer line has it) that everyone says an exact color for these engines doesn't exist. YES IT DOES!! Go down to your local Chrysler dealership, open the door to parts, step to the counter, and ask for a can of 'Street Hemi Orange' paint. It is the exact formula used on these engines and is meant for those restoring/sprucing up under the hood. They will even be glad to sell you the Turquoise color for non-HiPo big blocks if you ask them. Building a Race Hemi....they have that color too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have an update....

Interior is done, body is foiled, engine is done for the most part, and this is one of those kits that is gonna kill me before its over with....

Went to wire the engine and I messed up the wiring, so I pulled the wires from the motor and of course they break off and I couldnt get the wire out, so no wired engine on this one... Foil was a big pain in the butt, and Im just so annoyed with this one that I wanna put it to the side, but I just wanna get it finished...

I may end up taking a break from this after the glass and the interior and chassis are installed...

So here are pics of my piece of ######....

From what I have seen here you have done a better job than I would have done, of course I know the feeling of being frustrated with a kit :wub: . I think this will turn out great!

• 2 weeks later...

I got mad today, I wanted this same exact kit, but when I went to the Hobby Lobby the last one had been sold :angry: , I ended up Buying a 69 Camaro L-72 Motion along with Metallic Black paint. Oh well, I will order this kit :) , anyway I definitely want to see how this one turns out B) , Keep it roll'n.

Looks like a cool build. I hope you have better luck fitting the chassis into the body than I did. For some reason the firewall area of the interior was keeping the chassis from going all the way up, resulting in the front of the suspension area hanging way down. The only solution I could find, short of ripping it all apart was to cut the front subframe into and reglue it to the inner fenders. That dropped the stance right but just don't look under it !!! Good luck...