Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Ford custom

Sixties Sam

Hi, guys. I just finished this 49 Ford custom. It was a resin body I got cheap from ebay, maybe a Flintstone unit. It came without a hood. I had an old 50 Ford convertible that I (poorly) built back in the 1960's, so I used it for a donor. I reshaped the 50 hood to fit (sort of) and glued it on, so it's a curbside model. The wheels are from ebay, from an 04 GTO model. The bumpers, grille, lights, etc. are from the parts box. The continental kit bumper extension is an from an old Corvair, I think. The spare is made from two caps from my blood sugar test strip vials. (Is there an upside to diabetes?!) The color is Ivy Leaf Green Krylon. It was left over from coloring the trees and shrubs on a diorama. I left the top in flat white, since I think it's supposed to be a padded Carson top. The spare matches it. It was a fairly easy and fun build, and was my first use of a resin body. I hope you like it, if you can get past the puke color! Remember the Exorcist movie?!!

4961463767_52cc2390f7_z.jpg

4961463611_543c1c26e7_z.jpg

4962058516_16615f5950_z.jpg

4961463257_3c56846237_z.jpg

That is a very clean build. I like the skirted fenders and continental kit. The only thing that seems out of place is the tires and wheels. I think that for a period look, it might have benefited from wide whites and spinner hubcaps. That's just my opinion, and I still love the car the way it is. I've attempted customs before, and I could never come close to the quality that you've achieved with this work of art.

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. Regarding the wheels & tires: my plan was to use the stock 50 Ford rims with the dog dish caps and trim rings and whitewalls, but then I found the chrome mag wheels and liked how they looked, plus their smaller diameter gave the car a lower stance, so I used them. I'm rethinking it now, though. I found a set of chrome sombrero caps in my parts junk, and they might look cool with wide whites. Decisions, decisions...

Sam