Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to begin casting resin bodies?

I'm thinking about mastering and casting a few resin bodies of subjects that especially interest me in the future. I've done a few small parts in resin before but I know this will be jumping in at the deep end! For right now, I'll probably just try to cast some replicas of kit bodies for practice to see if I can do it. I'm not interested in turning this into a business.

Anyway, I'm just looking for any advice, sources of good information or whatever about mold making, materials or anything else from those who have done it before. What would you tell somebody just starting out (other than "DON'T DO IT!!!")? :P

I'll probably buy a pressure pot since I think that's the best way to prevent bubbles in the castings but if there's anything better, let me know. I've tried Alumilite and Micro-Mark (much better!) resin and rubber but I've also heard a lot of good comment about Smooth On - is it really a lot better? Pros and cons?

Any help will be appreciated! :angry:

Edited by mr moto

I did one using micro mark resin. I used legos to make the mold box and clay and masking tape to block off the body openings. It came out good. Just take time to think about where the silicone is going to go. try taking apart a hot wheels car and doing a small one first. The micro mark resin worked great,very nice with no bubbles or anything.

I'm thinking about mastering and casting a few resin bodies of subjects that especially interest me in the future. I've done a few small parts in resin before but I know this will be jumping in at the deep end! For right now, I'll probably just try to cast some replicas of kit bodies for practice to see if I can do it. I'm not interested in turning this into a business.

Anyway, I'm just looking for any advice, sources of good information or whatever about mold making, materials or anything else from those who have done it before. What would you tell somebody just starting out (other than "DON'T DO IT!!!")? :P

I'll probably buy a pressure pot since I think that's the best way to prevent bubbles in the castings but if there's anything better, let me know. I've tried Alumilite and Micro-Mark (much better!) resin and rubber but I've also heard a lot of good comment about Smooth On - is it really a lot better? Pros and cons?

Any help will be appreciated! :blink:

I'd suggest you check out TAP Plastics for their rtv that is really thin and needs no vacuuming. Also when you mix rubber for a mold,don't try and do it in one pour.You can mix small batches and do a print coat and watch out for any bubbles.There are many good resins,and I'd suggest finding a slower set one that you like,and get familiar with all the terms about durometer ,shore and etc.

Micro Mark stuff is rebadged smooth on. There is no need to pour your rtv in small thin coats. If you have any concern about trapping an air bubble due to an undercut or have very small details that you want to ensure are picked up you can "paint" your mixed rtv on your master first to ensure there are no air bubbles then pour in your rtv as you normally would. Simply using good products does not guarantee good results. Many or should I said most issues people have with resin casting is not from the products they use, but user error.