Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

Van is coming along perty good.

Your even getting all the rust and dents in all the same places?

such a shame to dirty it up tho. :lol:

Good eye! I did start denting the body up and yes the damage will be modeled a close as I can get it. You should see the hood dots to locate where each salt chunk will go. :D

Hey the hinges look and work great! I like it! I was gonna fair warn ya when you got to the "ride height" of the van, but you figured that out on your own. LoL Keep up the stunning work. I like where it's going and the bean bag is jus' out of this world! Sorry the pins were too small, but it was jus' a suggestion. Keep it comin'! :)

Lookin' good!

Actually the ride height for the front doesn't look bad per the 1:1 pic. You're right, though, the rear is a little jacked up (when you compare the centerline of the rear axle to the bottom of the rocker panel, there's a noticeable disparity), but I'm sure you'll be able to dial it in ... it doesn't really seem to be too far off.

Good job.

;)

Edited by Danno

The mirrors are all stuck together with location pins that will also give a handhold for polishing and chrome application. The plastic arms were replaced with aluminum tube of the same diameter. Looking at the 1:1 I probably should have used some smaller brass rod but these will have to do. I'm planning on trying out some Kosutte-Ginsan over a silver base to chrome them up.

mirrors DSC 7973

Talk about In Your Face .. ehhe larger than life picture. :)

Edited by Foxer

Not too much to report after the weekend, but I'm totally excited because the body is moving to the paint shop! I did the last of grinding the rusted holes with the Dremel and final primer is on. There's only a few areas where the rust is poking through again so I just brushed some rust color in those areas for some table salt weathering. All the blackish areas in the 1:1 photos are primer from amateur body repairs. Those areas I have to brush some lightened flat black over ... maybe thinned. I'm going to have to paint an old body with the blue finish to experiment as I go. The doors are glued to some sprue handles for painting.

The dog is taunting me .., been avoiding getting the craft paints out to paint him. :o

Mr Tee is gonna bonk me.. I lost his beanbag chair! I know I put it somewhere "safe" when my daughter was over with her herd of dogs .. ehhe

missing photo

Look at those door hinges! They all stayed on through washing and priming! ;)

missing photo

This afternoon it's a trip to the fabric shop for some straight pins for hinge pins. A "standard" pin I grabbed from the pin cushion fit the hinges nice and tight with just the right amount of freedom. If I can find some with a nice head they will do. I also ordered some insect pins to use as an antenna. They sure do make those thin. They went from .25mm to .65mm in diameter with a ball on the that looks like it is smaller the smaller the pin. Replace mm with inches and that's what 1:1 size they are in 1/25 scale ... 1/4" to 5/8" ... nice. :angry:

Edited by Foxer

Outside is the first of two big snowstorms and I have the 4-wheel drive ... my wife needs a ride from work so I'm going to wait until tomorrow to put the finish coats on. I did salt the underside well and tried for a more subtle approach on the body. It looks good and probably will just take a few grains off in a few body areas to more closely match the 1:1.

Primed and  waiting DSC 7990

Primed and  waiting DSC 7988

salted DSC 7993

Edited by Foxer

Well, the paint went on well, but my "easy to maintain" Iwata airbrush clogged as usual and in the end It won't even spray pure thinner! There is no other way they show to clean besides what I have done. A small brush in the hole for the paint cup comes out full of blue paint! The cheapo Testors airbrush I had before this didn't cause these troubles.

But anyway, PAINT IS ON! :)

Blue DSC 8017

I also cast the GMC logo and some door handles using Acrylic fingernail filler per Custom Mike's post It's all at the link if you're interested. The jury is still out as to the smoothness of this material out of the mold. It sure is easy though. These are the pieces right out of the mold before any cleanup. There's two door handles in that big mass . eheh

GMC logo DSC 8014

Edited by Foxer

Mike, I just went through all 11 pages of this thread, and all I can say is....wow! The amount of frustration on those hinges would have made me give up, you're a better man than me! I'm about to try making my own "piano" hinges for a '32 Ford hood/side panels, so now I'm gonna have to rethink what I had planned. Aluminum tubing is probably not a good idea seeing the problems you had, so it's back to the drawing board. I'm waiting for this one to get finished, it's looking great so far!

Edited by Custom Mike

I'm about to try making my own "piano" hinges for a '32 Ford hood/side panels, so now I'm gonna have to rethink what I had planned. Aluminum tubing is probably not a good idea seeing the problems you had, so it's back to the drawing board.

I'd hate to discourage anyone from trying something. The gluing trouble I had with these hinges was related to the small pieces I had to attach the tubes to. With piano hinges I don't see any problems. You'd in effect be gluing long tubes directly to the hood. Many people have made these hinges before.

Here's a pic of the frame in the weathering process just to keep the update legal. I intended some salt weathering but the Krylon black I used over it was too heavy as it would not cover areas between the salt. I scraped it some but all those bumps are salt buried in the paint. Since this will be heavy rust, it will look ok when everything else is added. So far just some roof brown dry brushed dabbled on.

frams DSC 8022

Now, the hinge pin search has given me quite an education .. and still leaves me wanting to figure out how straight pins are sized. I found some excellent straight pins in my Mother-in-Laws sewing cabinet. They fit snug into the plastic hinges being .034" diameter. The heads were a bit larger than I wanted so I went out looking for the same diameter but with smaller heads. I was confronted at Joann's Fabric with pin sizes given as Tam 17. This was the most common size with others being larger numbers. They seemed to follow gauge sizes with smaller numbers being larger sizes. I tried some tam 17 with small heads and these were considerably smaller than the ones the fit well being only .02" diameter. I had no idea what Tam size would be the .034 pins I had. At home I searched the net for info on straight pin sizes and found no useful information. I got some indication they follow wire gauge sizes but the Tam numbers follow no used gauge standard. My Mother-in-Law worked in the coat factories in Patterson, NJ for many years and these pins were not ordinary. I found nothing on line that would have come to matching the diameter of these monsters. I ended up just smoothing the edges of the heads in the Dremel with a file. They still look good and give the door hinges a nice friction fit.

a lot of unique pins:

pins DSC 8020

and, a pin in place before cutting to length:

straight pin pinDSC 8023

Edited by Foxer