Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

I wont make it to masscar as a vendor due to the date change, I might make it as a spectator though!

My wheels measure out at 16.20mm at the face, and 16.05mm behind the flange, only because these are based off car wheels and not truck wheels. I know the old dodge had some 8 lug wheels that looked really goofy, to large and deep for the stock crowd, so i guess no matter what there are gonna be compromises.

Do you have a close up of the front dustcap on these trucks?

Hopefully we'll meet up at any case. Too bad I don't wear hats so I'll be noticeable. :lol: My wife is coming, thou she'll be off looking at her own pace I expect.

The 1:1 van's tires are 8.00-16.5 LT so your rims are correct. The fronts had wheel covers so I don't have any photos of the hubs. :) I did have this drawing from the GMC parts site showing wheelcovers for the 85 GMC van and a set of 65 GMC front covers for a 5-bolt wheel.

Edited by Foxer

My fingers can't BMF like I used to but it's coming along. I set up up here at the computer and do a little, surf a little and it's working. :P This is just a flash shot to see how it looks as photos seem to always amplify the bad spots. The body has a Testor's Wet Look clear which it really needed to make the metallic blue look right. Now I can semi-gloss it to dull the shine down. I might do some door decals as a BMF break. All the interior panels do have their chrome trim done.

The hole in the door is not damage ..it's to receive the side mirror pin. :(

BMF DSC 8170

Edited by Foxer

Thanks, Tony.

And looking at that last image I realized I didn't add the window divider, This is actually sliding window but I only planned to add a single post in the middle. So, it's in and glue drying today. I scrapped some BMF away and used Ambroid on the .04" square post. It is tight and I'm getting worried now to it's longevity in there. I see it going "BOING!" and sailing across the room some day. I'm going to fashion a wire backup inside and flatten the ends to sit as flush as possible to the inside body. Coat with epoxy and cover with BMF and paint. That should be more durable and easy to do.

window divider DSC 8172

Edited by Foxer

When it comes right down to it, Just glue it to the window.

That is what makes most sense and I would, but the windows are very thin acetate from a file folder cover and they have no strength. The reason for using these is the purple color.

I have some thin brass sheet that I'm going to use rather than wire. Should be almost invisible.

Thanks Erik and Terry. I think this is entering the realm of EPIC, but I'm not sure I would have gotten where I am without all the encouragement and help from everyone here ... and that includes all those that just ran up the views. It's nice to know people are looking no matter how small the update. :)

The side window is in place with a brass sheet back lapping the body and epoxied in place. It feels nice and solid. I can get back to the BMF now. :lol:

SideWindowPost DSC 8232

The body is posing for another stance check after after most of suspension pieces are glued in place. The front tire is just resting in place. It needs a slight move downward from where it is. I'm happy with the suspension jacking now. :D

stance test   3 DSC 8267

Edited by Foxer

Outstanding work so far!!!

What are you doing for the tinted windows on the side?

I have some purple tinted report covers I'm using unless something else shows itself. They are very thin and lightly shaded but will do. I'm just making them slightly larger than the windows and gluing to the inside. The thinness WILL help hide them at least.

I read you can use film negative as window tint, but it might be to dark, I never tried it.

Maybe tamiya translucent smoke grey paint could be sprayed behind the purple, darkening it up, while the lightness of the report cover should still give a purple hue.

I read you can use film negative as window tint, but it might be to dark, I never tried it.

Maybe tamiya translucent smoke grey paint could be sprayed behind the purple, darkening it up, while the lightness of the report cover should still give a purple hue.

Think finding a roll of film might be tough ... :lol: It would have to be slide with an image of a white wall with purple light on it

I'm going to have to try the smoke gray on a piece of it though!

Mike, this is really coming out nicely. I'm very impressed with the quality of this build, and the engineering challenges you've overcome with getting a lot of the features to be what you wanted.

It will be a pleasure to take a large number of pictures of this next week.

Charlie Larkin

It will be a pleasure to take a large number of pictures of this next week.

Charlie Larkin

Bring your CLOSE UP lens, Charlie! .. :)

Found some old bumper stickers and plastered them on! :)

door stickers DSC 8273

EDIT: and here's the 1:1

rear P6291588

Edited by Foxer

Nice job so far I like how you did the decals. A couple questions if you don`t mind when you scan stuff do you scan at the higest reslotion and when you print is it also as a high reslotion. Want to know and learn how to downsize and print decals I do old drag cars and can use this info to do it for myself.Any tips and help would be great hope you are willing to share your knowledge on the subject.

John Pol

Bring your CLOSE UP lens, Charlie! .. :)

Found some old bumper stickers and plastered them on! :)

doorstickersDSC_8273.jpg

Nice job so far I like how you did the decals. A couple questions if you don`t mind when you scan stuff do you scan at the higest reslotion and when you print is it also as a high reslotion. Want to know and learn how to downsize and print decals I do old drag cars and can use this info to do it for myself.Any tips and help would be great hope you are willing to share your knowledge on the subject.

John Pol

Thanks for the comments.

I do usually use the highest resolutions I can to start with. These stickers were from digital photos I took with only a 1.5 Megapixel camera some time ago, but it was still high enough that I reduced the final prints. Just about any digital camera will take good images to use for decals on 1/25 models. Do be careful of downloaded images because most are low resolution. But, for 1/25 decals it doesn't usually take a huge image.

I printed to the decal sheet at about 800 dpi which is approximately half the resolution of my Epson printer. I find 800 dpi a good compromise between max photo resolution and a readable print on the lower quality decal paper. I'd try doing a good photo quality print on whatever printer you have. The biggest worry is too much ink that would run and lose detail.

All the decals on these doors were printed on white decal paper as no ink jet can print white. The only trouble is you have to cut the decals close to the image. You can see some oval ones I had trouble getting smooth cuts on because they are so small. If I get ambitious I might try some others and apply on top. I always make 3 copies of all decals on the sheet so I have some to make repairs with.

I use Photoshop for all my image editing and resizing, but there are many reasonably priced alternatives.

This was pretty light, so feel free to ask me anything as it comes up.

Edited by Foxer