Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cuttin' up a Kenworth

As my title implies, an innocent KW that had done nothing to anyone has been sliced and diced. 8-)

It was a truck I was already going to build, but I changed my mind as to how I would do it. I was originally going to update an AMT KW kit with new battery boxes and door handles along with the CAT engine. Instead, I grabbed one of my Snap KW kits the next time I got home after my inspiration hit me. I used the 1991 re-issue molded in the orange plastic. I figure it's the perfect one to use for a learning experience, considering what a pain this kit was. The orange plastic being a pain to paint, and the chrome on this kit isn't very good, so I think I'll be Alcladding it instead. As you will see, there is a bit of a size difference between the AMT and Monogram cabs. The AMT cab fits inside the other cab pretty nicely. It's still usable for the plug I made. It didn't come out perfect, but it's a good start.

Anyhow, here's where my experiment has taken me so far, starting with those first cuts.

100_1590.jpg

I was originally going to use the AMT sleeper in the pic, but I used it for reference to cut down the Aerodyne instead. The detail on it around the doors is better. I will use a KW roof I have at home that will be cut down. Besides, it's good practice for a future project I have in mind.

100_1601.jpg

Here you see the "organ donor", the cab from an Alaskan Hauler kit that I have designated a parts kit.

100_1608.jpg

My "plug" is glued into place. I still have all the putty and sanding to do later, but I'm happy to have started at least.

100_1609.jpg

And here is a mock up.

100_1612.jpg

I've been working on a front wall for the sleeper as well as fitting a floor. I'll post some more pix tomorrow after more of the bodywork has been done.

Edited by FlatbedKW

There is nothing like cutting up a KW, nice work so far,

you can also use the aerodyne roof to fit to the 36 inch sleeper you are making, KW in Australia used these on the gold nugget edition

Here is what it would look like My link

This is on a Aussie style truck,(SAR), they where also on the W models as well, but they do look cool I think

Who are you going to do the roof of the bunk?

Thanks guys. As far as what I will be doing with the roof, I will be using the Aerodyne roof combined with an AMT KW T600 sleeper. That sleeper has the more modern side doors, and I'll be using that sleeper on a W900L conversion I have. This sleeper here will just have the regular roof installed. I have a spare roof at home I can use. Since I go home in 2 days, I'll be able to finish the sleeper there. As far as the frame, I'll just use what's in the kit, although I may shorten it. I'm not sure yet on length.

The Austrailian style sleeper idea is cool. I will try that one of these days.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it's been awhile. I planned on working on this while I've been home, but an unexpected turn of events had my truck in the shop, along with all my modeling supplies. I finally have my truck back. I will return to work any day now, but I figured I would finish off the sleeper. I still have to get the putty out and fill and sand, but here is some progress.

I changed direction a little on this sleeper. I had a Revell of Germany KW W900 that was going to donate its roof, except I couldn't find it. I used the AMT sleeper roof, front wall, and floor. The Monogram sleeper donated its sides and rear wall. I separated the rear wall from the sides, and shaved it a little. It had to be narrowed a little to fit under the AMT roof.

Here it is from the "Monogram" side.

100_1658.jpg

..and from the "AMT" end....

100_1659.jpg

Here's the cab with it's filler panel and first light coat of primer.

100_1655.jpg

And a couple of mock up shots.

100_1661.jpg

100_1660.jpg

I hope to have more pix up later this week after I'm finished with the filling, sanding and primering.

Edited by FlatbedKW

• 5 weeks later...

Great conversion you have going!:blink:

I think I will use this as a "how to" as I want to create one of the last trucks I drove which was a daycab KW900 that I used to haul a dump trailer and flatbed trailer! Your thread will get me there!B)

Thanks for the compliments by all. This orange plastic is a (insert naughty word or phrase here, lol) to cover, even with the DupliColor primer I'm using, although I've been going with light coats at first. Johnny, I'm glad my thread will help you.

JimB, I hold you personally responsible for this update(in a good way. LOL). When you built your W900, it was suggested you hook it to your livestock trailer. You said you couldn't because of the fixed position of the 5th wheel. I remember this well, as I built this kit in 1991 when it was released, and then hooked it to an AMT Allied Van lines trailer. Needless to say, I could only position it straight ahead. So, with that memory sparked by your reminder, I went ahead and did this.

My very first Revell AG kit was the Black Widow Pete. It was scrapped long ago, thanks to a fall. That's where the red 5th wheel slide plate came from. First, I removed the slider plate that Monogram molded into place on the KW frame. I then took my Dremel and a cutting wheel and shaved the teeth on the plate in 1/2 from the innermost edges. I then took this 5th wheel carrier from an AMT Pabst Blue Ribbon Freightliner that was an ebay glue and paint bomb, and shaved plastic away from the bottom, the part where the slider plate's teeth would go. The snap kit's 5th wheel fits right on top of the AMT 5th wheel carrier after the 2 tabs are removed from the bottom of the 5th wheel. Now we have a sliding 5th wheel. A livestock trailer is one idea I've had for this one, although I've had several ideas as well, so the trailer is still undecided at this point.

100_1767.jpg

100_1769.jpg

So far, that's 2 inspirations for this build I've gotten from other builders. B) The other was regarding removing the kit's sleeper to make a daycab. Someone on another forum asked if it could be done, and I set out to see if I could.

Edited by FlatbedKW

That looks really nice, Ray. Much better that the stock fifth wheel plate. I'm glad I could inspire someone! :angry: I have another one of these kits in the stash that will be made into one of the Bicentennial W900s, so now you've inspired me to try this. :blink: Between this & replacing the 8-bag suspension with the tandem torsion bar suspension it should be an interesting build.

That looks really nice, Ray. Much better that the stock fifth wheel plate. I'm glad I could inspire someone! :lol: I have another one of these kits in the stash that will be made into one of the Bicentennial W900s, so now you've inspired me to try this. :D Between this & replacing the 8-bag suspension with the tandem torsion bar suspension it should be an interesting build.

COOL! I didn't know the torsion bar was an option on those, but that's a build I look forward to.

I'm pretty sure that both the W900 & K100 Aerodynes in 1976 had the tandem torsion bar suspension as an option. So, on that note, both of my Bicentennial Kenworths will have the tandem torsion bar suspension. Have to make a matched set, ya know.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lot of starts and stops, but I was able to get the hard part of detailing this engine done. The 6 fuel injector lines are made from K and S .025" music wire that I bent and shaped to the best of my ability using 2 pairs of needlenose pliers. This is the first time I've ever tried detailing the 3406. I still have to add the rest of the lines, which I hope to do tomorrow night.

Here's a quick mock up in the frame

100_1892.jpg

Ray,

Looks good! I was just thinking that you got the colour of the engine perfect then noticed the rattle can in the background! Did you get that direct from Clatterpillar?

Oh by the way I like both the short frome and the long frame. The long frame reminds me of the Alaskan KW Tim has just built. The truck looks good in the grey primer and the black frame. Gives it that sort of aged weathered look.

Dave

I'm pretty sure that both the W900 & K100 Aerodynes in 1976 had the tandem torsion bar suspension as an option. So, on that note, both of my Bicentennial Kenworths will have the tandem torsion bar suspension. Have to make a matched set, ya know.

We had a 76 W900 with torsion bar suspension at the sod farm! They had added a wet kit and was using it to also pull a dump trailer, not really a great idea at all! So first winter I worked there I changed it over to an air ride system taken from a wrecked 77 (twisted frame from tipping over a load of frozen roadmix) they had sitting there in the truck barn!

Sure made for a less kidney busting ride!:huh: