Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han '66 AMC Marlin : "Forgotten Build"

Monte's Motors

Be a cool color if you can pull it off!:lol:

Have seen guys remove seams and flash and sand them down with decreasing grit paper and then polish the plastic and have it come out really nice. I've tried and never could get it to look like anything but plastic!:lol:

My Marlin looks just like the one on the box!:P

That is very close to one of the colors AMC used back then,Some of those kits were molded in the same colors as the promos,I had the 66 Rambler Classis Station wagon that was molded in that exact color,It was made by X-El products back in the late 80's ,They were reissued promos!That would look great with the White accents as mentioned,As far as the main color,Clean it up and Clear Coat it with the testors high gloss lacquer,It wont affect the plastic,I have done it numerous times with no issues..

Roger,

This site may provide you with some inspiration:

Marlin auto Club

Of course, you all know by now that his little fishy is sitting in my garage:

Hey Bart! Does yours have the three speed manual with overdrive that had the twin stick shifter on the consol?

There were two around town here at one point in time they bothe had that option. Plus one of the guys also had a Rambler American with that option too! Made for great conversation!

Edited by Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

Engine finished.

Question for Bart: Is the driveshaft visible under your car or does it run through a tunnel?

The kit frame appears that the driveshaft runs through a tunnel to the rear end.

Any corrections that would be needed, please feel free to post them. Thanks and I hope you guys enjoy.

5068656573_3a4d7e26b8.jpg

5068656743_695a0e2750.jpg

Engine finished.

Question for Bart: Is the driveshaft visible under your car or does it run through a tunnel?

The kit frame appears that the driveshaft runs through a tunnel to the rear end.

Any corrections that would be needed, please feel free to post them. Thanks and I hope you guys enjoy.

I'll step in and answer this having a little AMC experience.

American Motors, until 1966, used torque tube on almost all its cars. I'm not sure if the 1964-up Rambler American went to the Hotchkiss drive (open driveshaft with universal joints like we see today,) but I know that the Classic/Marlin/Ambassador used the torque tube until the 1967 model year.

In a torque tube, the driveshaft runs through a steel tube welded and/or bolted to A-arms, which in turn are attached to the rear axle. The torque tube can be disassembled by unbolting it at the differential and pulling the tube and axle apart so you can service the trunnion, or rear seal. There is no rear universal joint, only up front.

The torque tube should be painted semi-gloss black along with the rest of the suspension.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 months later...

Well done sir! Very infrequently see the molded color used. I haven't done so myself in years. Great work.

I always beleived they molded kits in color for a reason. :)

I'd like to see more kits molded in factory colors besides white. :)

Thanks, and I'm glad you like it. :)

Interior is the same paint as ext. Color is from ACE hardware. You have a wide color selection of oil enamels there. Which is the same type as testors enamels.