Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mtn Goat

kasteer

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted... or more correstly.. worked on any models. But I've been wrapping up the Cuda I was working on and recently started a new project... The Mtn Goat!

I've got the big Bogger tires to use on it, so I'm going to make my own suspension to clear the larger tires. I'm also thinking of dropping in the Ford 427 engine...

MtnGoat01.jpg

Here's a shot of the Boggers next to the tires in the kit...

MtnGoat03.jpg

Here's a pic o fthe front leaf spring from the kit and my two newly fab'd front leaf springs (above if the little jig I made for building the leaf packs). I think the kit's front axle is a little small next to the springs and tires... a little narrow too. Might have to make new front/rear axles...

MtnGoat02.jpg

Off topic, but here's the current status of my Cuda...

Cuda1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by kasteer

Thank you very much for the comments.

Well, I have the front suspension on the frame. Hend together with pins. They're a bear! They keep sliding out and they're difficult to get back in place. For those who've "pin'd" together custom suspension before, should I glue these in place now? How do I continue working on this without dealing with pins and without having to put it back together all the time?

MtnGoat04.jpg

Oh, does anyone have a spare Bogger tire I can use for a spare? I would like to avoid buying a whole new set of 4... when I need only one.

Edited by kasteer

Eric,

Mountain Goat looks like it will be killer!

Noticed in your info box that you're here in

good ole Richmond, Va. There are a few of us

that meet twice a month at the Martin's in

Sycamore Square Shopping center (in the gazebo).

Maybe you could come out and join us for a closer

look at some of your builds. We meet on the first and third

Thursdays each month.

Rick in Richmond

Eric,

Mountain Goat looks like it will be killer!

Noticed in your info box that you're here in

good ole Richmond, Va. There are a few of us

that meet twice a month at the Martin's in

Sycamore Square Shopping center (in the gazebo).

Maybe you could come out and join us for a closer

look at some of your builds. We meet on the first and third

Thursdays each month.

Rick in Richmond

I'm only about 2 min down the road from that Martins... at 60 and 288. I think that would be pretty cool. My daughter would prob get a kick out of it too. Shoot me a reminder please, for the next mtg... and the time. Not sure how often I can get there (already go to Libertarian party mtgs and Jeep club mtgs), but will definitely try to get the a few times!

Thanks!

Eric,

Will shoot you a reminder before our next meeting.

Definitely bring your daughter , my little girl would love the company.

It will be cool to see your build up close.

Rick in Richmond

Sounds good! If you see the build up close.... you may see the flaws... lol!!!

Subscribed! Me likey Jeeps! B)

Me too! Got an 04 Wrangler on 33s that I take off road whenever possible.

Pencil erasers! Brilliant! I like that idea. Thanks.

So made some progress yesterday/this morning. Made new axles with brass tube (smaller brass tube inside so tires spin easily), finished springs and mounting.

MtnGoat08.jpg

Need to attach the u-bolts to hold the axles to the springs. They're cut and sitting on the workbench. Here's a few mock ups...

MtnGoat05.jpg

MtnGoat06.jpg

MtnGoat07.jpg

I'm thinking about a 1" body lift and will probably cut the fenders out for more clearance on those tires.

That's it for this weekend. Gotta head to NC for a pig-picking this afternoon. See ya. Thanks for looking!

Some progress has been made...

Finished the frame. Did some dry brushing, but will follow up with some more weathering. Need to ount the shocks still (they're being painted).

MtnGoat14.jpg

MtnGoat13.jpg

Working on a big V8 for it too. Kit came with a meager V6... no way my 4x4 is gonna have a little V6. Also working on the drive shafts...

MtnGoat16.jpg

Of course, I had to do a mock up...

MtnGoat15.jpg

MtnGoat17.jpg

Also have the doors cut and hinged. My goal is to use a small rare earth magnet and a pin to keep the doors closed. Still working on how I can hide them. Then I'll start on the foor panels.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by kasteer

i got the same kit short to speak ;) i would love to do a small lift on it

nice work man

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac22/blakehemifan/DSC00005.jpg

Yep. different box, same kit. My kit has those same wheels in it as well as the ones on the cover of my box. My lift is from the custom springs and longer shackles. I considered some blocks, but decided to just add a body lift... which will be needed to help fit the larger engine.

Made some progress over the weekend.

First on my list is to straighten that silver out! The silver stripe/trim looks like ###### in these pics. In real life, it doesn't look so bad. In fact, I think I'm going to head back out to the garage right after this...

MtnGt24.jpg

MtnGt22.jpg

The frame, suspension and interior are "dirty'd" up already. Paint is still too new looking.

Thanks for looking.

Update...

Fixed that terrible silver trim... now straight! Much better.

Put some paint on the hood (flat black) and felt it was missing something... so added a little detail to the hood.

Like the doors, the hood is held closed with a magnet (round object in photos). Magnets work NICE to put that little 'click' in the close. Next time I need to use a little more metal in the doors. They're a little softer than I want. The hood is perfect.

Some weathering on the frame/engine... need to weather the body when I get closer to being done.

MtnGt29.jpg

Engine compartment (you can see the hood magnet)...

MtnGt28.jpg

Doors open, interior... no dash installed yet.

MtnGt27.jpg

Here's how she'll sit.

MtnGt26.jpg

MtnGt25.jpg

Started a little dirtying of the tires.

MtnGt30.jpg

Thanks for looking!