Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint shaker

I use the Badger paint mixer that I got at my LHS for $10.00. Well worth the money to me!

Yep, I use one, too, and wouldn't know what to do without it. If the paint is very thick at the bottom, though, go down into the bottle very slowly to allow everything to mix properly. If you go into the thick stuff to fast, it will bring the mixer to a stop quickly, since it's powered only by two AA batteries.

Most of the paint is new with the oldest being 18 months(well at least bought from the store with in this time span).

if i cant hand shake a bottle of paint and get that stuff off the bottom it goes in the trash. if it's old enough for that stuff to have separated and gotten hard on the bottom of the bottle to me it's no good anymore.

Dave

I am going to order the electric one after some research,thanks

I use wooden stirring sticks; have been from back in the days when you could get them for stirring coffee. Now I buy a bag of 100 at Michaels. I like the feel of sinking the stick in the paint... too much resistance means the paint is shot.

Question about the stirrers and electric mixer,do you lose a lot of paint?

No, Greg, as long as you don't do like I did to get the splatters on my paint stirrer and pull the mixer out of the jar before you turn it off! DOH!!!!! :unsure:

As long as you keep the mixer's shaft below the rim of the jar, you will not lose or splatter any paint, other than the small amount of paint on the shaft itself. I then just dip it in thinner and run it to clean it off, and wipe with thinner off with a paper towel.

A cheap trick that I do is to take some "BB's", wash them in lacquer thinner and put a few in each bottle. When you shake the bottle it will mix the paint like a spray can does. If your paint is older and a bit thick, add a few drops of thinner to it and shake, shake, shake! :D

I've got the electric shaker, probably 15 years old now and has worked well for me. Tougher paints I utilize the badger mixer that's been shown here. Both to me are good sound investments. Both serve a purpose and are used on a regular basis.

robart-vi.jpg

Chris

That's the one I have, and it works great. I was worried it might just be a cheap gadget but it has held up well for about 4 years now, and gets a fair bit of use. I just use a piece of sprue to loosen up the paint if it has clumped on the bottom, or my Dremel if it is really stubborn.