Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Dodge Charger Conversion

Brandon, no conversion kits are available as far as I know. You'd have to change the entire front end,as the two used totally different sheetmetal from the front doors forward. Modelhaus, and Time Machine resins both make a 70 Charger body to use with the old MPC General Lee. But I think the AMT 68/69/70 RoadRunner,GTX, and SuperB's Chassis would be a much better way to go.Hope this helps.:) :)

Edited by george 53

there's no real conversion kit that I know of, since there are a # of slight differences on a '70 Charger, compared to a '69. The hood is different, the front fenders are slightly different, the taillights are connected with a continuous chrome trim that runs the outer perimeter of the taillights, the taillight panel isn't blacked out entirely (just within the chrome), and the front bumper/grille has no center divider. Also of course the grille and bumper are mounted on the leading edge of the fenders, instead of being recessed like on a '68 or '69. I was looking for a cheaper alternative to an MPC '70 Charger, since they easily sell for $150 or so. Modelhaus has a resin kit that is based off of the MPC '70 Charger, I think it's about $65. There was another resin kit that, if I remember correctly, was about $40 or $45, I don't remember who made it though. I'm sure someone here knows which one I'm referring to.

If you wanted to try converting one yourself, get the Revell '69 Charger R/T, and the Revell '69 Charger Daytona kits to start out with. The '69 Charger Daytona actually has the hood and front fenders from a 1970 Charger. You could get a replacement front bumper and grille insert from the Modelhaus, as well as '70 Charger R/T door scoops. The interior of a '70 has different seats and door panels, as well. Those are available from Modelhaus too. I don't think I'm forgetting anything, but with a nice clean cut, a conversion is possible. If you do end up doing a conversion, maybe you could go full detail and open the doors and trunk too. Lastly, if you're thinking about using the grille from the AMT Fast & Furious '70 Charger kit, don't, that kit is incorrect lol.

'70 Charger rear (chrome around taillights):

DSC03395_detail.JPG

'70 Charger front fender (sidemarker is shaped different, and located differently):

26450880008_large.jpg

'70 Charger grille/bumper assembly detail:

mopp_0911_06_+1970_dodge_charger+front_grille.jpg

'70 Charger Interior:

p164152_large+1970_Dodge_Charger_RT+Interior_View_Dashboard.jpg

'70 Charger R/T door scoops (they actually just cover the twin vents on the door):

p164174_large+1970_Dodge_Charger_RT+RT_Badge_View.jpg

hope this helps!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :rolleyes: you just gotta love those old Mopars........... :rolleyes::rolleyes: The body lines on thise are so sweet and flowing - a very beautiful combination of elegance, grace, class, beauty and an aggressive, no-nonsense, don't mess with me look. In short, they are a lovely automobile. If there is one flaw in those cars, it is in my ever to be humble opinion, the interior - especially the dash boards which were pretty spartan and plain for the most part. But it is not enough to stop me from lusting after those curvacious beauties when ever I see one. They are sure nice and I am surprised that they were so overlooked for so long. Now that most of them are gone and people have awakened to the gorgeous styling and radical but attractive colours - most of them are long gone. I'd like to follow your build if you do the conversion. Please keep us informed.... :):):)

Edited by impcon

Holy shamoly, Kev, I forgot you just came out with that 70!!! Well then, there's choices Bran! and the nice thing about it is having seen Kevin's casting, I can tell you it IS TOP NOTCH!!!:lol::D;)

anyone got pics of this one? I'd like to see if the body is correct for a '70 (tail panel, fenders, hood), also how much is it and what other parts are included? I really want to add an accurate '70 to my collection :P

• 4 weeks later...

kevscharger.jpg here ya go

Jeff,

Kevin's 70 Charger kit(based on the Revell 69 Charger) looks to be a great one to get. The Revell 69 Charger is an awesome kit to begin with. I bought the 69 Charger Automatic console/shifter/pedals from Kevin and they are among the best resin castings I've seen.

Did you buy this one you posted the picture of? If so, have you started building it yet? Pictures?

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

I was thinking of getting one from Modelhaus or Time Machine Resin that's based on the original MPC kit. However, now that this one is available from Missing Link, made from the Revell kit I think I'll reconsider it. The Revell 69 Charger is a great kit with much better detailing and the Missing Link 70 can also be built as an RT or base model.

Edited by crowe-t

• 2 years later...

Does anyone offer conversion to make the 69 into 70 model? It would be best if the bumpers are ready to put on since i have no experience with alclad. I noticed a conversion on ebay,but it looked a little rough,and also you will have to crome it yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys. The kit/conversion pictured over here is not the one i did see on Ebay,this from missing link look great.

I did see the real deal a couple of days ago,dark green with redlines and i think it was an 440. What a beauty!

:D Hi I have both the Missing Link and Time Machine. The Missing Link one is out standing and the best one and like others have said he gives you the parts all ready chromed and it fits with no problems with the REV/kit and if you go the other way you may never see it.

Time Machine Resin also makes a conversion for the MPC kit.

http://www.timemachineresin.bravehost.com/moparkits.htmll

For what it's worth the conversion kit from Missing Link is based on the Revell kit and therefore going to be more detailed and accurate.

Time Machine Resin has been out of business for awhile. Website is still up but I would not order.