Model Cars Magazine Forum

Swap meet goodies

I was at the swap meet in Waukesha Sunday, and picked up a couple of long wanted goodies. I was able to get a 1960 Buick glue bomb in pretty good shape except the hood is glued shut but the engine is there. painted red, it will be taking the plunge in the purple pond. Eventually , it will be silver to match the 60 my gramps had when I was growing up. Many trips to the cabin on the weekends in that car. He had it for nine years until he bought a 69 Skylark. Ahhh, memories. The other car I got is a 68 T-bird flat bottom promo. The chassis pan is black plastic with an AMT logo on it, and the car is molded in a light green color. Question: what full detail frames would fit the Buick and the T-bird?

LAG, I believe the chassis from Revell's 64 Impala will fit the 60 Buick although you did not state what model it was. I am using that chassis under my 62 electra duece and a quarters. I don't know how much the Thunderbird chassis changed from 62 to 68 but the New issue AMT 62 thunderbird might be a good place to start looking. I recently saw one of those at KB Toy Liquidators for around $8.00.

Amt's 66' Tbird would be more accurate and for an engine you

could use the 390 Tbird or the 429 from Revell's 1970 Torino

also the auto trans from the 66 Fairlane could be used although

in reality it wouldn't bolt up to the 429 depends on how anal you are :D

The main thing is have fun!

I think Buick only had the one body style in 1960, of which the models were Le Sabre, Invicta, and Electra. I am thinking the model that AMT did was an Electra or Invicta. I am doing it as a Le Sabre. The name plate on the front fender is too small for me to read under all the red paint. Thanx for the tips about the chassis. The Buick was not an X frame, it was a perimeter type.

For a perimeter frame for the Buick check out the Revell 65 or AMT 67 Impala kits. If were to happen to be a Special, which was a smaller car, Try the Revell Chevelle kits (65,66 wagon or the 67).

The detail on the 66 thunderbird chassis is like a promo.

The model has 3 ports on the fender, so I am thinking it is the Invicta as there is no script, only a rectangle which I will remove. I wish I could somehow create the mirror image speedometer that those cars had. LOL. I do notice on all the 60 Buicks, the rear passenger side bumper always sagged a little. I noticewd this when I was a kid and I see it to this day on them at car shows.