Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Van

fatkidd

here's a model that I've been working on off & on lately. It started out as an MPC Truckin' USA West Coast van

IMG_4135.jpg

From what I can tell, this is not a reissue (not sure if there was ever a reissue of this kit). From what I believe, this kit is from 1974/1975ish. I bought it at a swap meet a few years ago, got home, opened the box, and found 2 complete kits in the one box.

Well, lets see what I've done so far shall we?

1st pic is the stock body.

2nd pic is the chopped & sectioned body.

3rd pic is the two bodies back to back for comparrison.

4th pic is the mock up of the stance.

I still have a lot of work to do on this thing. Hopefully I will get it done before I move on to another project or kit.

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

I'm working on a '85 GMC Vanthat my daughter had and using the A-Team Van kit. This is virtually the same body .. it was used for every Chevy van AMT/MPC made. There were little variances every edition ...

I really like the look after the chop and section. It has good proportions and looks longer. I love the fact that you're chopping up that old kit! B)

Edited by Foxer

thanks for comments/compliments to those that replied. the wheel/tire combo that i you see was used because i wanted a big/little set and that was all i had in that category. i went through some of the wheels i have and i think i like this setup better. let me know what you guys think.

i plan on putting a viper engine in it mid-engine. the from seats will prolly be wrapped in leather. the rear doors were opened as one door and will open upwards, like a hatchback style. the side doors will open traditionally...like saloon doors.

oh, btw, this is my first chopped top and section.

these wheels are hopppin' hydros slim 20's Shokks

IMG_4199.jpg

thanks again for the comments. it means a lot to me!

here's a few pics with the rear door hinged (taped for mock up purposes)

i still have to make the hinges for the side doors.

the paint scheme has been floating around in my head, but we'll see how it goes.

thanks again for looking

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

For Real!!

this isn't the only time it happened. i bought a 1/20 scale mpc van at the same swat meet (different years). i got home, opened it up, and there was a revell baha bandito vw van...with the red glass (no box, but it had instructions, decals, and all the pieces). i love going to swap meets.

Why is it that I’m getting the munchies just looking at this van? :lol:

Kidding aside, I’ll be following your build!

Yeah hahaha i can just imagina this van bombin down the highway with smoke porin out of the cracks of the rear door, and the popo in hot pursit hahaha

the munchies comment had me laughing.

here's a small update for today (so far)...

i got one of the hinges for the side doors completed

and the interior tub cut for the rear door assembly.

i also removed the "dog house" from the interior tub as it will no longer be needed (no picture of that).

i hope to build a nice center console for it.

here's a pic of the rear door open and the interior tub and a pic of one of the side doors hinged (2 down, 3 to go)

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

so, here's a small update...

progress has been slow and a bit of block has kicked in.

but, slow progress is still progress.

the side doors are hinged, hung, and in place.

the interior tub has been cut to clear the engine.

the engine has been mocked up to see what's needed.

here's a few pics to show the engine placement and one showing the interior tub without the body blocking it.

the seats are next. I'm thinking about using leather.

on with the pics...enjoy!

IMG_4211.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

Very nice work so far Paul. I have this very same kit that I started a similar project a few years back. No chop on mine but I did choose to go with gullwing style doors. I need to think about getting it back out of the box and continuing with it. I can't wait to see where you go next.

Very nice work so far Paul. I have this very same kit that I started a similar project a few years back. No chop on mine but I did choose to go with gullwing style doors. I need to think about getting it back out of the box and continuing with it. I can't wait to see where you go next.

I wondered what happened to that build.........