Model Cars Magazine Forum

TV and movie rigs that could be made from existing kits

Ya know another Movie truck that could be built from an existing kit would be the "Porkchop Express" from Big Trouble in Little China. It was kind of a corny movie made in the late 80's with Kurt Russell and Kim Cattrall in it.. it had this sweet Freightshaker FLC120 with a 60" standup and an extra set of airhorns on top of the bunk even! I was thinking about snagging another Italeri FLC and building one. Best scene in the movie was when he fires that truck up and revs it up and Kim Cattrall says what was that? and Kurt Russell replies "A 6.9 on the Richter Scale baby!" lol i loved it! Sooo thats just an idea.. build myself a Porkchop Express in fact heres a pic.

I've included links to Internet Movie Cars Data Base for pix of the trucks.

The black Western Star from "Steel Cowboy" could be made from the AMT kit. It even has a Mercury sleeper, and the red stripes in the kit could be used. You just need to stretch the frame, add long tanks, and change the front bumper. At least, that's a start. The truck was named the "Outlaw".

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_112546-White-Western-Star-4900.html

Other obsure trucks that never get mentioned when the subject of movie trucks comes up are:

In 1993/4 there were 4 movies entitled Bandit. They featured a red KW T600 with black stripes. It usually pulled a white Great Dane dry van that he says is 40 ft long, although it is shown with a black stepdeck as well.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_176836-Kenworth-T-600.html

Most AMT kits are well represented in Maximum Overdrive so you don't just have to build the Western Star with the silly face on the front of it.

The yellow Freightliner named "Yellow Bird" from Christmas Comes to Willow Creek.

The yellow Kenworth W9 from Revenge on the Highways. It had 3 fuel tanks and dark red fenders pulling a yellow Fruehauf dry van.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_89881-Kenworth-W-900-1973.html

The black 359(I think it was an extended hood) from Black Top. Meat loaf played the psychopath that drove it. Very few chicken lights on it, although it had bright white lights under its sleeper. This truck was named "Goliath".

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_40292-Peterbilt-359-EXHD.html

The black 359 from JoyRide would be cool, too. It pulled a dryvan and was lit up.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_81127-Ford-CLT-9000.html

The yellow and brown Pete 359 from DeadHead Miles. You would, however, need the original issue 359 with the narrow windsheild and a Cummins engine.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_101573-Peterbilt-359-1972.html

Aside from the 2 prominent Macks, Convoy had a lot of nice trucks that make really appearances throught the movie. And again, the AMT and Ertl line up is well represnted.

If you want to go exotic and purchase the resin cab from KFS, or can find the old 1/32 snap kit, you could build the Blue Ford CLT 9000 from Armed and Dangerous.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_81127-Ford-CLT-9000.html

The gray(or is it silver) and yellow 379 short hood from Think Big. It was named Lucky and driven by 2 twin brothers who are famous wrestlers.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_100691-Peterbilt-378.html

The black 379 from Black Dog could be built, but it's an extended hood, so you need to get a hood, and a Cat engine.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_41226-Peterbilt-379-1994.html

There are others, but I'm drawing blanks on movie titles.

Edited by FlatbedKW

Revell Pete 359 into the truck Cleatus drove in Smokey and the Bandit

You must be talking about the truck from Smokey and the Bandit 3. The Revell of Germany kit would be needed for that one because it had a 63" sleeper.

The General from the second movie would be a nice build, too.

Ya know another Movie truck that could be built from an existing kit would be the "Porkchop Express" from Big Trouble in Little China. It was kind of a corny movie made in the late 80's with Kurt Russell and Kim Cattrall in it.. it had this sweet Freightshaker FLC120 with a 60" standup and an extra set of airhorns on top of the bunk even! I was thinking about snagging another Italeri FLC and building one. Best scene in the movie was when he fires that truck up and revs it up and Kim Cattrall says what was that? and Kurt Russell replies "A 6.9 on the Richter Scale baby!" lol i loved it! Sooo thats just an idea.. build myself a Porkchop Express in fact heres a pic.

That looks like the actual Italeri model!

The yellow Freightliner named "Yellow Bird" from Christmas Comes to Willow Creek.

Ray, I thought I was the only one to remember the "Yellow Bird"! I've got you one better, though, here's a pic of her, I found the movie online and downloaded it. This is a screenshot from the movie.

NDVD_000.jpg

Ray, I thought I was the only one to remember the "Yellow Bird"! I've got you one better, though, here's a pic of her, I found the movie online and downloaded it. This is a screenshot from the movie.

NDVD_000.jpg

Yeaa thats got the tall sleeper that i want to build too! see they were pretty common in the 80's i guess. just a 63 stand up sleeper from freightliner i take it.

Yeaa thats got the tall sleeper that i want to build too! see they were pretty common in the 80's i guess. just a 63 stand up sleeper from freightliner i take it.

I would guess, but that was just alittle before my driving time. :lol: I didn't have my frist Freightshaker until 1998!

I would guess, but that was just alittle before my driving time. :lol: I didn't have my frist Freightshaker until 1998!

Haha yeaa thaat was before i was driving too but I've been around trucks and riding in them my whole life.. i was the only 5 yr old in kindergarten that made a coast to coast run with his ol' man in a Diamond Reo Giant with a 42" Freightliner sleeper. haha you cant pay for the memories you get from those kinds of trips. I was blessed.

Haha yeaa thaat was before i was driving too but I've been around trucks and riding in them my whole life.. i was the only 5 yr old in kindergarten that made a coast to coast run with his ol' man in a Diamond Reo Giant with a 42" Freightliner sleeper. haha you cant pay for the memories you get from those kinds of trips. I was blessed.

I know what you mean! Even though I never went on any runs with him, my brother was driving while I was around that age. I remember when he was hauling vans for North American, he was in the general freight division, I remember climbing in his old International cabover, and man I still hate those things! When I got older, he even wanted to teach me how to drive in his KW W900 before I could even drive a car!

On Saturday Oct 9th of this year, it will be 18 years since I lost my brother in that W900 due to an accident he was involved in. That was one run I always look back and wish I would have been there on. Of course, we did cover over 1 million wonderful miles after I started driving in 1998, he was with me on every run! Sorry for going a little off topic, but I'll get it steered back on track!

Ok, like I said, I'd get this steered back on track, and I'm surprised noone, especially Mark R since he has one as his avatar picture, has not mentioned the movie version of Optimus Prime.

optimus-prime-transformers3-chicago.jpg

The Revell Pete 359 would work with some long hood mods. I'm not sure what the old school cartoon version was, I think a Freightliner cabover, but if that's the case, AMT's White Freightliner Dual Drive would be perfect.

For Optimus Prime, you'll need the Italeri 378 kit with the G.W. Trucks 379 hood. That's if you want to do it in 1/24. If you want it in 1/25, Porky is working on a Bill Drennen 1/25 Peterbilt 379 conversion kit. I think that will work on the Revell of Germany frame. Maybe Tim A. can verify this.

I was listening to the news yesturday when they posted a traffic alert for possably 10 days in Washington DC and there will be 10 - 12 blocks closed.Every one knows that DC is the fore front for all kinds of events.

This one isnt a real big thing that most would expect.Ok But I hope to get up to see this one.

Ok Ok I know you all want to know possably , Whatis happening is the Transfomers are comming to Town for a filming a part of the new Movie . And Optimus will be pulling a trailer in this one. And Flatbed the original Optimus was a Freightliner COE .

I've never seen the movie version pulling a trailer, but that is just too cool!!

I was listening to the news yesturday when they posted a traffic alert for possably 10 days in Washington DC and there will be 10 - 12 blocks closed.Every one knows that DC is the fore front for all kinds of events.

This one isnt a real big thing that most would expect.Ok But I hope to get up to see this one.

Ok Ok I know you all want to know possably , Whatis happening is the Transfomers are comming to Town for a filming a part of the new Movie . And Optimus will be pulling a trailer in this one. And Flatbed the original Optimus was a Freightliner COE .

Yep, just what Richard said, Ray! ;) The pic of Prime I found was from shooting they did in Chicago. After three movies, they finally decided to give him a trailer again! :lol:

how about the movie over the top? its been a long time but i think the old truck was a auto-car, and then the new truck was a volvo white gmc,now that had a sleeper on it! lol

how about duel, and breaker breaker! with chuck norris, the cabover ford in the movie steel.

dennis

While we're on the subject of Ford COEs, how about "The Blue Mule" from "White Line Fever"? That was a 1974 Ford WT9000, and SourKraut offers a conversion cab. Of course, someone else is making a conversion cab, too. ;)

Edited by Jim B

how about the movie over the top? its been a long time but i think the old truck was a auto-car, and then the new truck was a volvo white gmc,now that had a sleeper on it! lol

how about duel, and breaker breaker! with chuck norris, the cabover ford in the movie steel.

dennis

Hey its funny you mention that i was actually just looking at building that truck, its an Autocar A64. its says A64 B on IMCDB.org but i was always under the impression that the B in that code stood for set back front axle... but none the less it is an autocar heres a pic

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1615/ott41pb4.jpg