Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Dodge 330

Mr. Show

This will be my first complete build. I tabled my previous effort after many little mistakes that I can't fix at my current skill level. I am taking what I learned and applying it to this build and am more prepared for any stumbling blocks.

THE BOX. Lindberg has quickly become my favorite model maker. I have their F150 kit and am really impressed by the quality, detail and finish of the pieces. The Revell kits I have are garbage in comparison.

IMG_1824.jpg

The body primed with Valspar plastic primer. Just waiting for it dry then I'm going to hit it with my first attempt at airbrushing.

IMG_1826.jpg

Edited by Mr. Show

I did the Color Me Gone version years ago and have one left in the box to build up again. I liked Lindbergs version. I would not get a Dodge L700 truck though, or you will quickly change your mind. Flash, warped parts, stuff that did not line up properly and I can't remember what else I hated about it. That was the kit that has the flat bed with the 40 Ford on it. The trailer was good, the car and tractor where junk. I managed to make a decent post war race car out of the 40 Ford though.

Oh boy,yes that L-700....what a beast that piece was....is! I didn't like it at all.though I know some people have said that there was ok.it seems some or most were bad many different ways.Thanks,Chris

The L700 was originally an IMC kit, very nicely done. Lindberg got their hands on ancient tooling and re-released it under their name, but the original release back in the 60s was an excellent kit.

My airbrushing adventure went about as expected. My first attempt was fouled by my own ignorance pertaining to airbrushes, plus the manual made no mention of the fact you have to loosen the nozzle on the canister. So there I was, wondering why so little paint was spraying, continually thinning it into oblivion. I then saw a spring and threads and slapped my forehead hard enough to leave a dent. However, forgetting I had thinned the paint so much, I went to work. Well..

IMG_1837.jpg

It looked good until all the paint started dripping onto the floor. It also looked much worse before I went at it with the thinner and 1500 sandpaper.

Armed with basic knowledge (and paint not thinner than air) I gave it another try:

IMG_1839.jpg

Not quite smooth but I'll see how finishing goes. If it doesn't work out I'll try the brake fluid method that's so popular around here. At least the paint is cheap.

Edited by Mr. Show

Decided to go ahead and throw it in the brake fluid since I want a different shade of green that's not glossy. Also threw in the plated parts since they are terrible anyway (lots of orange peel and scratches on some) and am going to paint them and the accents on the car steel. Chrome is too fancy for this horse.

Brake fluid seems to be working fast since the paint hasn't cured so hopefully I can paint today and do it right.

The 330's paint is curing and I should have pictures soon. In the meantime, I've started on a Chrysler 300C Hemi SRT8. It's part of Revell's "Uptown" line from 2006. It's a fairly simple kit but looks to be of good quality.

IMG_1927.jpg

Edited by Mr. Show

It's good to see your determination is keeping you going! This is how we all learned, and still learning, by doing it over .. paint till you faint! :D There are MANY threads here on painting which you might find interesting.

Thanks. This forum is inspiring - without it I would have given up by now. My last paintjob was ruined by hair and dust since I was doing it outside. I built myself a ghetto paint booth last night so I can attach a fan to the back blowing out a window. Should alleviate particles getting in the paint.

IMG_1935.jpg

Extreme low budget solution. Once I get some free time I'll no doubt build a more complex, over-engineered version, but in the meantime it should work fine once I install the rotating platform and extend the edges with cardboard or something. ;)

Edited by Mr. Show

After hours of prep work that probably weren't worth it, I'm ready to lay down my final attempt at a topcoat. If it looks good, great; if not, I'll finish the build and move on, lessons learned.

Color:

IMG_1941-1.jpg

Primed:

IMG_1983.jpg

No idea where those came from, but sanding should take care of them:

IMG_1985.jpg

And the finished product before clear. It looks much better in person, the reflections look strange in the picture:

IMG_1994.jpg

Your Last paint job looks much better. Are you going to use the dog dish caps on this one?

When I was still going to paint it flat green I planned to use the black steelies with steel colored hubcaps. I stripped all the chrome parts and planned to do those and the accents steel as well. Now that the finish is different I'm not sure how well that would work. Steel accents would probably look terrible with a glossy/metallic topcoat.

May just go back to chrome and pilfer some wheels from another kit of the same era.

edit: Anyway, hope to get the slant six parts painted today. It's more detailed than the 383 and has a separate transmission. Some of the 383's pieces are just awful; the fan is unusable.

Edited by Mr. Show

Got a coat of clear on and painted most of the engine pieces.

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

I had no idea if the slant six was originally Chrysler Red or Blue. Instructions say blue, picture on box is red, all the pictures on GIS but a few are red. Oh well, I could never approximate the red anyway.

Edited by Mr. Show

The "Color Me Gone" version of that kit is also very nice.

Harry,

I have to agree with you on that as I buy them for parts cars. I used one to build my Super-Stock '64 Belvedere awhile ago. The kit contains a max-wedge engine, roll bar, steel rear wheels, hood scoop, slickc, etc. which are a great addidtion to my "parts box."

Well, I wasn't happy with the Testors one shot lacquer - even after two clear coats it flaked off quite easily on the edges as I was trying to polish it with a cloth. So back in the DOT3 lake it went. All the lacquer slid off like slim within 15 minutes - either my brake fluid has aged like wine or I should have sprayed the lacquer on thicker - it certainly wasn't a primer issue as I used lacquer for both. Also the Duplicolor "chrome" spray paint was a waste of $6. There is nothing I can do to make it look remotely good: gloss black basecote, future, bare, primed, so flat and glossy you can ski down it, etc., so Alclad here I come. Anyway, hours of sanding, smoothing and priming later:

IMG_2066.jpg

All flat (except that shiny blob thing which looking at it now is a drop of water,) but I may give it another coat of primer and sand that before the final coat. It's a tossup between pearl purple and just plain gloss black.

I also got a little work done on the engine. I'm not too happy with it and I have no idea what happened with the air cleaner, but I'll just leave it. I'm not trying to make my first build perfect, even if I have painted and stripped the body 5 times.

IMG_2065.jpg

Anyone know if Boyd's spray paint needs to be thinned for airbrushing if decanted?

Edit: I'll probably stop updating this until the model is finished or my skills greatly increase and I have something worthwhile to post. These middling shots probably aren't very interesting but I wanted to also keep a log for myself to chart my progress.

Edited by Mr. Show