Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suggestion about works in progress postings

Sometimes, it can get frustrating watching a build in progress that disappears for days, weeks or months before it's finished. Maybe it would be better for builders to keep a photographic journal of their build and not post on this forum until it's finished, where they can then show the progress all the way to the end after it's finished. Only a very few of the most talented builders on this forum can keep things moving until the end.

Great idea, Skip. As if this board doesn't have enough restrictions. Most of these restrictions are in place because of endless nit-picking and bee-itching. Live and let live.

I like it the way it is because as mentioned the input from other builders is priceless.

"Only a very few of the most talented builders on this forum can keep things moving until the end."

Shoot, I took this as everyone is talented but only a few can finish a model uninterrupted. :P

AzTom

thats why stuff goes to the top when something new is added. you dont need to pay attention to it until something new is done. doesnt matter if its a day, a week or a month. or in my case several months.

simple really.

PERFECT ANSWER! and.... It has been said time and time again.... Don't want to look at it? Then don't click it. I was going to say a lot more after this but just erased it.

Because, it's hard to gauge what is meant sometimes with the written word. did the OP mean Exactly what he said in the starting topic? or was there more to it?

My point exactly. We don't know. Don't make more of it than what is there.

I'm just saying - taking a comment @ it's face value may not and does not always happen, as we have seen.

Doesn't happen nearly enough.

I'm FAR from a talented builder. I just can't keep going on the same project for long because I have (or I'm ASSUMING I have) A.D.D. Too hard for me to concentrate for too long on a project. Heck, to be honest, I haven't done ANY kind of building in a couple months.

You have to admit; given the circumstances here lately (read: all the B.S drama) that the original posters comments could very well be taken in multiple ways. Do I feel that his comment on 'works in progress' that somehow never get finished or rarely updated applies to me in some way.............yup. Why? Because I build extremely slow and life does get in the way of builds. Keep a roof over my head or finish that Subaru Impreza WRX STi build I have going from a refrigerator box behind K-Mart? Roof over my head wins. Scratchbuild that Cobra intake for my 1/24th scale Mustang or rebuild the engine in my 1:1 Mustang to get to work and back? Tough choice.......NOT! Sorry Skip, but you did come off sounding like an arrogant unmentionable word whether you meant it that way or not. And some of your reply posts don't fare you much better. Come to think of it, when have I seen anything from you in progress with CONSTANT updates? See my point (as I am SURE you will take umbrage to this even though it wasn't meant that way)? 'Sarcasm' or 'real intent' font hasn't been created yet.....................so think long before you type.

I tried to walk away from this but I cant. I want to know about the people out there that have the talent to work on multiple projects? Also Jordan I will point out that in 10 pages of the work bench you have 0 threads and in Under glass going through 10 pages you have 0 threads. Do you build? All the topics I see from you are in General and NORMALLY about 1:1 cars and there is a SECTION for that but people don't make complaints about it. I hope the high ups don't get mad at me but I do not see how you really can complain. People do have the right to be mad. I try like heck to stay out of this stuff but this time I cant. Good Day sir.

I tried to walk away from this but I cant. I want to know about the people out there that have the talent to work on multiple projects? Also Jordan I will point out that in 10 pages of the work bench you have 0 threads and in Under glass going through 10 pages you have 0 threads. Do you build? All the topics I see from you are in General and NORMALLY about 1:1 cars and there is a SECTION for that but people don't make complaints about it. I hope the high ups don't get mad at me but I do not see how you really can complain. People do have the right to be mad. I try like heck to stay out of this stuff but this time I cant. Good Day sir.

Gah, please use first names since I thought you were talking about me at first! :)

i look at it this way. to me i build at my own pace and how fast i build is no one's business. i work long hours and really have no time for this hobby but i try i come here mostly to talk to my friends etc. it bothers me that someone would go on about how much people post work wise when really it doesn't matter at all.

boy this place gets like a looney tunes cartoon. somebody tries to shed a little light and finds they lit a match in a room full of dynamite. i don't agree with the original post and don't think any kind of rude remark was intended. good intention poorly worded. but the reaction or should i say over reactions make you wonder about the maturity of the people on here. i know the poll that was on here said 40to60 is the average age of the builders on here and most of us don't act our age which is a good thing. but being rude is just childish. come on lets all play nice.

To Skip, and the other distinguished members of this forum,

I would like to share my thoughts.

Number 1: In regards to the original post, Skip. I may not agree with you, but I will defend your right to print it. Then again, I may agree with you.

Number 2: Regarding your replies, Skip. If you find yourself digging a hole the first thing to do is to get rid of the shovel.

Number 3: If anybody doesn't agree with thought #2 please refer to thought #1.

Thank you all for your time.

I dont know about the rest of you guys, but, when I find an interesting topic, WIP or otherwise, I just click the watch topic button at the top of the screen. Who cares how long it takes to finish, Ill get an email when any new posts are made. Works for me. I myself have 2 WIP threads that have been stalled for quite a while...it happens.

I know of at least one builder that will do this. It's either he works fast or he finish and then posted. And that man is Virgil. There are a few of his that he finishes on the first page.

As far as finding your topics, use the search feature at the bottom of the forum you selected (on the workbench or under glass) and search by topics I started, that's what I do to find my old builds to update them.

I'm sorry, but after reading this thread, I still don't understand why you are becoming frustrated over WIPs that disappear for days, weeks or months or are not finished. Try to imagine the person who is building the model who can't find the time to work on, let alone, finish their build because of life interrupting them. Life gets in the way of everyone and we all have to deal with it in our own way. Some things take time to resolve while other issues are soon quickly dispensed with. While your suggestion may have some merit, I think it would be a waste of time to go and post picture after picture after picture and probably without any commentary as to what is happening during the build.

Imagine trying to post something like that. You could spend upwards to an hour or more just loading all your pictures and commentary about your build into one post. These days, many of us don't have that kind of time to devote to posting something like that. And I really don't want to go and read a thread that may only say, "Here's my build", and that's it. What if I want to know about a process that a builder used during their project? Would they remember after who knows how many months if they are a slow builder?

A WIP is exactly that and it takes time to put together some of these builds. Some people build fast, while others take quite a bit of time to finish a build. I would like to suggest that you try your suggestion and see how it works for you. Maybe you can start a trend!

I'm probably the ultimate example of this as I haven't updated any of my current TEN WIP builds here in years for some of them! And, I'm proud of it! :D Since joining this forum about 2 years ago, I haven't completed ONE build! But, I've been building all that time and thoroughly enjoying it. It's MY time and I'll do what I want with it. I have no excuses for any of it.. it's how I work, it's not due to work, death, babies or earthquakes.

As some have said, if posting a WIP is done at the end, it's NOT a work in progress anymore. I rarely go look when someone posts Under Glass photos and gives a link to WIP photos .. it's done .. I can already see that.

If I didn't post any WIP photos no one would believe I actually build models and I wouldn't get the fantastic encouragement from all the viewers here to continue on with a build!

I normally avoid these threads, but I felt compelled to chime in. While I can, in some way, understand the OP's intent, it's simply not feasible for many of us to keep to a strict build schedule or timetable dictated by others.

Only a very few of the most talented builders on this forum can keep things moving until the end.

Skip - Not trying to blow my own horn too loudly here, but I've been accused of being a 'talented' builder from time to time. The fact that I'm a married homeowner with a toddler, a full-time job(10+ hour days) as well as other hobbies, keeps me from building with any regularity. My building as of late has slowed to what I call a 'glacial' pace, and the occasional show-and-tell session IMO can serve me well as a motivational tool.....I must say the above comment hit a nerve. Because I can't finish a model within the time frame laid out by somebody else as 'reasonable,' it appears that I am hereby stripped of talent?

'I don't owe an apology to people who can't read.'

Now I'm also illiterate because I was offended by being called a hack? As another member posted above, I'd advise you to stop digging now, brother.

...And we're back! There's the forum banter I have missed on those long days while I'm giving a test to my students. No matter how hard you try to kill it, it comes back. I find all of this highly entertaining.. BTW, after reading this why would a person post a work in progress or a finished model, let alone make any kind of observation or remark about any aspect of this hobby. By all means, don't let that stop you, please continue. It's just little plastic cars and I'm just here for the chicks!

I build slowly but having a wip that is out in public helps push me along .while it may not seem like it I have gone a lot further than I usually would just by having people offer encouragement and suggestions. I like the feedback I get on my builds .Skip you should try it and see how much it can help motivate you .

Agree 100%. It is the social aspect of this hobby thanks to forums like this, that helps keep my interest and imagination flowing.

I like the wine and whiskey comment.;) I thought it was a pretty good clue of what we are dealing with.

Greg, I caught that too. With all of the OP's protests about misinterpreting his message, this kind of shed some light, in my mind anyway. My first thought was, "Isn't this a little pretentious?" But then again, it depends on the value of the bottles of wine and whiskey :)

Also depends on how much you like cheese since it doesn't go well with whiskey :)

Greg, I caught that too. With all of the OP's protests about misinterpreting his message, this kind of shed some light, in my mind anyway. My first thought was, "Isn't this a little pretentious?" But then again, it depends on the value of the bottles of wine and whiskey :)