Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL Nationals #31

As some of you know, I prefer what I call "table shots" for coverage of events like the NNL's. Just like magazine photos of Goodguys events or NSRA meets, "tabte shots" show the full flavor of the event in a way that regualr studio photography cannot.

So without further ado, here's the link to about 240 photos of yesterday's 31st edition of the NNL Nationals....and to start off, here's a photo of just one of a series of killer Pro Mod drag models by a couple of very highly talented builders by the names of DJ WILLIAMS and GREG TAYLOR.

DSC_0813-vi.jpg

My link

Have a look for yourself.....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Tim these are some great pictures.I am up to 126 :P

I've only been to one show,nnl east last year so I have a question.

Why do people bring uncompleted models to shows?

I see some that look out the box set up on wheels.

Not that it is a big deal to me,just curious.

me too! I wondered that as well.

I could maybe see a full out custom body to show WIP, but that's not usually the case.

I took a break at 90 something...

Thanks for the shots. As this was my first NNL ever, I can see that there is a wide array of talent there, as well as builders from all over (Even up from Australia!). The project table is where 2 of mine were; the 1991 Mustang GT conversion I have going in the FOX CBP thread and the Thunderbird TurboCoupe you took the shot of (up on Clothspins and a set of tweezers).

The T-Bird did have one side of the car with the wheels under it for mock ride height, and to the one who was curious about the 'projects with bodies supported by wheels' deal; I cannot speak for everyone but if you look close at my T-Bird pic you will see the scratchbuilt front A-Arms, front and rear coilovers, and rear axles with the LCA mounting perches and tubular LCAs. The front wheels are custom-turned 21" sleeves with some 1/32 scale wheels turned down to fit, and the rears are 23" Pegasus sleeves with the same diecast wheels machined to fit. I also have the front fenders shortened .120" to accurately portray the 1:1 nose length, as well as the rear bumper cover being shortened .080" for scale representation. The interior is drilled and fitted for the cage going in. A lot of that cannot be seen in the photos; thus the explaination.

Thanks again, and good to see some of the models I really enjoyed in photos!

Edited by whale392

The project table is where 2 of mine were; the 1991 Mustang GT conversion I have going in the FOX CBP thread and the Thunderbird TurboCoupe you took the shot of (up on Clothspins and a set of tweezers).

I thought that might've been your TBird in the pics. Looking good so far. Have I missed an update on the suspension somewhere else?

No Eric, the T-Bird is a prototype platform for a lot of pieces going into my Mustang build and I have been keeping it under radar as I don't want yet another 'unfinished' W.I.P thread going.

And thanks for the compliment Eric. It means a lot from another FOX guy.

Edited by whale392

As some of you know, I prefer what I call "table shots" for coverage of events like the NNL's. Just like magazine photos of Goodguys events or NSRA meets, "tabte shots" show the full flavor of the event in a way that regualr studio photography cannot.

So without further ado, here's the link to about 240 photos of yesterday's 31st edition of the NNL Nationals....and to start off, here's a photo of just one of a series of killer Pro Mod drag models by a highly talented builder named Greg Taylor....

DSC_0813-vi.jpg

My link

Have a look for yourself.....TIM

Greg Taylor didn't build dez car, just but has name on them! :)

Edited by baddgass

Graeg Taylor didn't build dez car, just but has name on them! :)

There is a group of 4 or so guys who build those Pro-Mods (they are out of the Cleveland area) and each show they will alternate the names of the builders involved.

DJ is the builder of the body & engines on all the car. Let credit the real builder. :)

Graeg Taylor didn't build dez car, just but has name on them! :lol:

Guys....maybe I'm missing something here. For all 31 years of the NNL Nationals (and I've photographed all but a few of them in the late 1980's), we've always relied on people putting their own name on their entry slips. If I've been misled then I apologize.

Accordingly, can someone please explain who the actual builder is and provide proof of your statement?

Thanks....TIM

Tim these are some great pictures.I am up to 126 :wacko:

Why do people bring uncompleted models to shows?

I see some that look out the box set up on wheels.

Greg...this is an NNL Nationals tradition going back to the very first NNL in Tom Woodruff's garage 31 years ago this summer. It was a "run watch brung" event, and all of us at that first event had both completed models and projects that were underway. It only seemed natural to look at all of them with an equal perspective. And so the die was cast. The "primer is finer" table is always one of the most popular attractions at this and many other NNL events around the world.

Who were the winners?

NNL's are not contests (I have a guest editorial into the guys at Model Cars regarding this point), they gatherings where modelers get together to socialize and show their work. So there are no "winners" in the traditional sense of a competitive model car contest.

There are three "popular choice" awards, Best Junior, Best Theme, and Best of Show (which I would prefer be called "people's choice), all voted on by the participants. I didn't get the name of the Junior winner, but I can tell you he was one mighty proud youngster....and so was his Dad! The Ron Cash Award, awarded by his wife who survives him, went to Matt Viggiano, who had a very tasty '29 on '32 rails with a strong Bonneville flavor. Best Theme went to Lyle Willits, I presume for his "That '70's Bike" model with the ribbon paint. And People's Choice went to Anthony Rioz (hope I spelled his last name right) for his very impressive big scale '55 Nomad.

Best regards...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

No Eric, the T-Bird is a prototype platform for a lot of pieces going into my Mustang build and I have been keeping it under radar as I don't want yet another 'unfinished' W.I.P thread going.

And thanks for the compliment Eric. It means a lot from another FOX guy.

Brad - I really enjoyed looking at your T-Bird build - both for the skill and creativeness as well as how much I'd love having a 1.1 scale version of your car. Great job....TIM