Model Cars Magazine Forum

your not going to like this

ok i have some bad news that will piss u off heres what happend i was on youtube wathching some videos on a guys chanell called 1941gm go to it i bet theres pics of your models on there guys u have to look at these videos this is not right you cant just take peoples photos and say there yours im posting this all over the web help me get rid of this basterd again his youtube user name is 1941gm i have seen some of yours guys work on there

Let me please help out here!

OK, I have some bad news that may piss you off. Here is what happened: I was on YouTube, watching some videos on a guys channel called 1941gm; go to it. I bet there are pics of your models on there. Guys, you have to look at these videos! This is not right! You can’t just take peoples photos and say they’re yours! I’m posting this all over the web. Help me get rid of this bastard! Again, his YouTube user name is “1941gmâ€. I have seen some work on their belonging to other people.

Edited by Jon Cole

I guess I am missing something here. I went into Youtube and looked at some of the videos and at no time did I see this person make any claims that what was being shown were his models. He has simply created a few slideshow style videos of assorted models to show them off. What is the harm with that? If nothing else the original builders should be honored that this person would select their builds to feature in his videos.

I guess I am missing something here. I went into Youtube and looked at some of the videos and at no time did I see this person make any claims that what was being shown were his models. He has simply created a few slideshow style videos of assorted models to show them off. What is the harm with that? If nothing else the original builders should be honored that this person would select their builds to feature in his videos.

Is that what this is about? Because I didn't bother to look... my bad. If that is the case, well, he won't enjoy looking at my Fotki albums! I save thousands of pics! They are indeed photos of other peoples builds. See "--- MISC. MODELS ---(SORT by MAKE)---" @:

http://public.fotki.com/JCole/model_car_shows/misc_model_contests/

I label as many as I can, and arrange them alphabetically by name of the car. This is one of the ways I enjoy this hobby. I think of it as an easy to search reference guide.

As long as no dishonest claims are made, I see nothing wrong with it

Edited by Jon Cole

i looked at a couple of the video's too and didn't see any claims that the models were built by or belonged to the person who made the video's.

Dave

Some of us, myself included, copyright every pic we take that is put up on Fotki. For someone to just grab a copyrighted photograph to share all over the place is wrong, and it is a violation of copyright law. "Fair Use" refers to your making a copy for your own purposes (reference or whatever), not publishing the work of others all over the place.

Art

I just checked out this "video". AFAIK most videos are of one single model, but I did find one slide show that was over 10 minutes in length. I watched the first 1:30 of this. I recognized two models; in fact, they may be from my photo collection. Doesn't bother me a bit. No claims appear to be made, so no problem.

Edited by Jon Cole

...i bet theres pics of your models on there guys u have to look at these videos this is not right you cant just take peoples photos and say there yours...

Not only did he not claim the models were his... he didn't claim anything! The videos have no sound or text, they're just photo montages.

Some of us, myself included, copyright every pic we take that is put up on Fotki. For someone to just grab a copyrighted photograph to share all over the place is wrong, and it is a violation of copyright law. "Fair Use" refers to your making a copy for your own purposes (reference or whatever), not publishing the work of others all over the place.

Art

According to US Copyright law all photos automaticly become copyrighted at the moment it is created. The photographer may if he choses to allow that photo to be used by whomever he choses, so technically all photos are copyrighted. Where the law gets murky is not what costitutes infringement, but what constitutes actionable infringement.

Someone could publish your photo all they want, but if you can't prove harm, there is little or nothing you can do about it.

Example 1. A professional artist takes pictures of an item of interest with the intent and ability to sell that to a newspaper or magazine. But before he can sell it someone steals his work and publishes it for free. The value of his work drops to zero, and the infringement becomes actionable.

Example 2. You're at you family reunion and you accidently take a picture of your left shoe while trying to carry your plate of egg salad sandwiches and your camara at the same time. The guy at the one hour photo makes an extra copy for himself because he thinks its funny, and gives it to his girl friend (who now thinks he's kinda wierd). It's still infringement, but because the picture essentially had no value, it's not actionable.

Of course this all becomes a moot point once you post you pictures on the internet, because it is so easy to download any photo you want with out the artists consent or knowledge. I could if I was so inclined could download a photo, claim it was mine, sell the copyright to someone else under an assumed name, who could the turn around and sell copies of it for a profit. If you drag him into court, he can show due diligence by having attemted to secure proper copyright, and leave you with no recourse.

To make things worse there is no way to protect your photos online except to make them all but unrecognizable. You could water mark them but anyone with a fair knowledge of photo shop can undo that. If you right click protect it, there are programs that can disable that. If you imbed it in a flash display you can use a screen capture program to get them. Bottom line, if you put artwork or photos on the internet, you should just assume somebody will steal them.

niteowl, you are correct to the letter of the law. But I think Darin is correct when it comes to life in the real world, at least at this level. On the other hand, on a topic on the same subject this summer in the truck section, my research found that regarding original, uncopyrighted photography posted on a forum, the copyright belongs to the forum management – the publisher.

There is probably no element of law that is more complex and conflictive than copyright and trademark law, and I've had to deal with it all of my 35-year career in national advertising.

Of interest to car modelers, one of my favorite sites for 1:1 reference is Schlegelmilch photography. While Boris makes his copyright clear on every shot, he nonetheless makes it available for sharing and re-use by registered members (free). He makes his money by selling stock photos and gallery-quality prints, and publishing coffee table car books.

http://www.schlegelmilch.com/

heres something: if your precious little photos are so important you want to copyright them and then get all bugged because someone posted them somewhere else, why dont you do everyone a favor and just not post them. this is the internet and as one who was using it before it became THE INTERNET, i personally am for freedom of expression including copying work if credit is given or even if not as long as no one is profiting from the use. go write a book or something, but meanwhile if you post it, it will get copied. thats kind of the point of the media. my advice is to go find an appropriate media for hoarding your stuff, cause the internet aint it. all these johnny come latelys who 10 - 15 years ago dismissed the net as a fad really got a lot of nerve assuming ownership of anything, its exactly what is making the net nothing more than a cheap advertising medium these days while leaving the "information" part somewhere in the trail of dust.

and ive yet to see much "art" posted here in photos no matter what anyone else might think.

so...if you put your model on a contest table and then someone takes a photo of it and posts it somewhere, eg: fokti book, thats not right either? seems like not much of a difference except possibly the model itself isnt "copyrighted".

time for a reality check. you gotta take the bad with the good.

yep im a net anarchist at heart. sue me. i would personally be proud if someone liked my work enough to copy it for their own use but i guess my ego isnt all wrapped up in 1/24 scale pieces of plastic.

I could be wrong, but look at the amount of posts the initial poster has. At the time that I'm looking at this, he has two. Somebody comes on here in their first couple of posts, swearing and complaining, about some video site; it has all the appearances of somebody wanting to advertise the site. If I'm wrong, I do apologize, but this just appears very suspect to me.

I could be wrong, but look at the amount of posts the initial poster has. At the time that I'm looking at this, he has two. Somebody comes on here in their first couple of posts, swearing and complaining, about some video site; it has all the appearances of somebody wanting to advertise the site. If I'm wrong, I do apologize, but this just appears very suspect to me.

Allright I will kind of side track this arugment abit, When I went to You Tube as suggested, and inputed the users name, I noticed a few things, one the user is Russian, I read the language up front so you see something like this Масштабные модели автомобилей.

If you hit the Translate button next to the words all it says is "Scale Model Cars", and yes that is what this on the top does translate too in Russian. And of course a few others. Most of these photo's/Video's here are three to four days old which means they are recently posted. So what's the deal you say.... Here's what I know about Both Russia and the Ukraine, That allot of scheme's, and illegal activity go on out there, and they are not Policing it like they should. now set this argument aside.

As the qoute above states, this guy has two posts already from user's who seemingly believe that he is the Builder of such great looking models, and does not seem to want to retract the idea that they are someone else's creation. now looking at his profile you see this.

Name:MINI wheelS MODEL CAR CLUBChannel Views:11,005Total Upload Views:162,971Joined:September 26, 2008Subscribers:136PLASTICS MODEL CAR CLUB About Me: sorry NO English . Hometown:CCCPCountry:Moldova

I could not get a copy, but it also states under Interests: Model Cars. I also find his Country interesting, Moldova, which is to the south west of the Ukraine and if its anything like the Ukraine or Russia, then you can bet some illegal activity is going there. And even as one is a Moldovian, or Ukrainian, they still speak Russian, and a majority of the population is Russian by decent. This guy also claims to be apart of a Modeling club in Moldova.

What it boils down to:

I know how bad I have made these countries look in the way of their illegal activity, but not all are bad, I just want to point this out, I have to especially if I want to marry the Ukrainian woman that I am in chat with B) .

My only conclusion is that this guy does know where he is getting the photo's and then posting them as video, and assumes the credit for these models shown as being his builds and not others.

As mentioned many times here on this topic by many others, the example, if you go to a show and take a picture of someone else's model, then post it on a website. Well in my way of thinking that if you do that, at least give the people view Pictures/Article the credit to the modeler by at least typing in their name, again common Courtesy. To me the creation of the model is the art, and belong's to the artist, and if a picture is taken by someone else freely because it is their right too, what are you as the modeler going to tell them, Hey this is a copyrighted model pictures taken are going to cost you $$$$, I don't think so. So what it really boils down to is Common Courtesy, and cannot say for sure if this guy is just posting the works of fellow members, or that of others, still I think that he should have the common courtesy to state that these are just models that he is showing for someone else or that which has seen on another site.

In other words since he does not have such common courtesy, he should be reported to You Tube and removed. After this post I will login to You Tube and then I will report the fact that his is showing others works and not giving credit where it is due.

Edited by davyou5

Let me please help out here!

OK, I have some bad news that may piss you off. Here is what happened: I was on YouTube, watching some videos on a guys channel called 1941gm; go to it. I bet there are pics of your models on there. Guys, you have to look at these videos! This is not right! You can’t just take peoples photos and say they’re yours! I’m posting this all over the web. Help me get rid of this bastard! Again, his YouTube user name is “1941gmâ€. I have seen some work on their belonging to other people.

Way to go Jon!! I was having trouble reading this guy's message.Yet Another example of the failure of public education.

Just an FYI, I think most all of those photos were taken from my fotki. In fact, one of the videos showed nothing but pics of my model. I am not mad, I am honored?...it's just cool that someone else liked them that much! I didn't build all of the models he put in the videos, but I did have permission to save those photos in "my favorites" from my own forum. That's all from me, I thought I should reply since the pics came from my fotki...I don't care if anyone wants to use the pics as long as they don't claim the work as their own.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/1/2/1/my-favorite-models-/

if you don't want your pictures copied and posted online by others it's pretty simple, don't post pics online. you want to be sure that the pictures are known to be yours or whatever then put your name right through the middle like many do.

Dave

How you do you put that lettering in, anyway?

Charlie Larkin

I have just looked at his postings again, it seem's that some complaining as paid off alittle, as now I see that he has posted a new video in which the title reads "Scale Model Cars i did not build". Can we actually see this as a form of progress?