Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sam Hollingsworth 1957 Nomad

Darin Bastedo

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The most recent update on this project is this;

It needs new paint. The paint job is the key to replicating this car and I'm just not happy with the results. I have a 4 day weekend coming in October and hope to knock it out then. After that it's a simple matter of assembly as all the other work is done.

Man! I hadn't seen this thread until now. That Nomad has to be my favorite car of all time. Back when I was a kid, that box art got me! I bought the kit and of course never realized that the parts in the box were never going to reasonably represent a Nomad. And the flames weren't even in the box! Each year I'd buy a copy of that kit reasoning that I was a year older and would be able to build it. Nope. I've never gotten one together!

Darin, you are a better man than I, I would never attempt that ambitious paint job. I heard tale that Danbury Mint was planning on doing the car. I'd be the first one on line with my credit card!

That Nomad has to be my favorite car of all time. Back when I was a kid, that box art got me! I bought the kit and of course never realized that the parts in the box were never going to reasonably represent a Nomad. And the flames weren't even in the box!

Same here, I still have the issue of Rod & Custom with the Hollingsworth Nomad, it caused me to run out and get the model. Now that would have been ambitious to make it look like a '57 Nomad, let alone Sam Hollingsworth's Nomad! As with a lot of early failed model projects back then; there was a still unsolved mysterious case of arson!!!

• 6 months later...

Just FYI House of Kolor offers their solar gold base in an ultra fine base that would be the closest you can get to the correct base in scale the standard base would look like a metalflake in scale

The code is fbc01 it is Solar Gold fine metallic base.

Edited by horsepower

• 1 year later...

We don't know what ever happened with this build.  Where is Darin? We haven't seen him in a while!

To add to my earlier comments that I had heard Danbury Mint was going to do this car.   Move forward a few years and as we all know the Danbury car empire has come crashing down.  This car was one of the projects they were working on at the time.  I spoke to Rick Hanmore at NNL East this past year and he said it went as far as having a finished prototype car.  They gave it to the owner of the current car, as a thank you for allowing them access to the car.   I soooo wanted to buy that Danbury car!

• 6 months later...