Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Chevelle SS Pro Mod WIP (Updated 3.26.14)

hOLMS

Hello All........Taking a break from the 2001 Corvette Pro-Mod to finally start this one and been waiting a while to do so, Novas & Chevelles are 2 of my fav's and this body has been staring at me for 2 yrs now begging to be "a monster on the shelf". Stock body smoothed to resemble fiberglass, full tubular chassis and most parts from the STP Firebird Pro Stock. Mock-up almost complete, should be painting b4 long. Thanks.....hOLMS..

DCP_3772.jpg
DCP_3773.jpg
DCP_3771.jpg
DCP_3770.jpg

Edited by hOLMS

• 2 weeks later...

very nice. love fat tire cars!!! a nice orange with black ss stripes would be nice.

tubbs.....wow, pretty good @ the mind-reading thing......i had 3 schemes in mind: 1)orange w/black stripes 2)black w/orange stripes or 3)yellow w/ black stripes. I've tried the yellow already and it is sweeeet, but i've seen the other 2 schemes up close at events and they are just as cool. I should be posting sum wip pix 2morro maybe. Thanks for looking....

ps...i'm bouncing the idea around of scratching a not-so-obvious air-dam for the front to blend the bumper lines to the body better....just to make the lines between the two flow. I don't want to get away from the stock look with this one. Also, i can't find my windows, i'll have to scratch them too.

• 4 months later...

well, finally able to get back on this one......hood work almost done, chassis work getting close (not going all out, by no means), motor is coming along. Few more things to do on chassis and ready for some gunmetal w/black tin. thanks for looking

DCP_3844.jpg

DCP_3845.jpg

DCP_3842.jpg

DCP_3849.jpg

DCP_3847.jpg

OK....so you think everything is going as planned till you see a picture that makes you think "What if?". Well, that has happened. My mild mannered Chevelle is moving into the Pro-Mod ranks. I've replaced the top with the STP Firebird Pro Stock, stretched the nose and re-adjusted the stance. I'll post more as I do the mods. Thanks for looking!

DCP_3854.jpg

DCP_3861.jpg

DCP_3862.jpg

b4aft.jpg

b4aftnose.jpg

b4aftrideheight.jpg

Thanks for the votes of confidence...will take some patience and creativity though. I just hope the front end poses no problems, I am remaining positive. My goal is to make the front look mean, sleek and fast while keeping the 69 identity. I should have the sides of the body extended today, which will hopefully bring the wedge profile to life. My inspiration for the body is actually a picture I have of a '69 Pro Mod Camaro, so if you see some resemblance somewhere down the road, that would be the reason. Thanks for looking!

Got the basic tapered sides in place, i'm thinking of flaring lightly from middle of door to where the rear wheel starts (not sure about that yet) and I will reshape the front and rear wheel openings. Thanks for looking!

DCP_3869.jpg

DCP_3870.jpg

this is getting interesting for sure, I don't know if you knew or not but flashpoint resins just came out with a 69 chevelle pro mod resin body, I like what your doing with this one though, keep us posted,

Bandit Resin's also has a '69 Chevelle P/M body with a large cowl induction hood scoop, but this is looking really interesting,like the black wheels better then when they were blue.

Able to get some more done......this time, mostly the nose. I'm going for the low, rounded, bullet shape (sort of Camaro-ish) and the gradual curve usually present on Pro-Mods from the nose to the back. I chopped off the nose, then extended an extra 3/32 (.093") between front of fender well and headlights. I then cut the nose in half and removed around .08 to narrow the width. I glued the two halves back together, then glued nose back on front end approximately 1/16 below the cut line. This left me with a narrower, lower headlight area that is now waiting for filler to cure to smooth it all up. I tell you what....this is certainly challenging, but I'm having a blast with this one. I only hope it looks like the vision I have for it. BTW, I'm thinking solid yellow with black wheels. Thanks for looking!!!

b4aftnoselower.jpg

b4aftnoselower2.jpg

DCP_3878.jpg

DCP_3883.jpg

DCP_3890.jpg

DCP_3889.jpg

DCP_3886.jpg

b4aftstk-mean.jpg