Model Cars Magazine Forum

Xanavi Nismo GT-R (R34) Special Edition

wgflatliner

I have officially started the Tamiya Xanavi R34 skyline.

Box art:

DSC02553.jpg

Chassis/Floor pan done per instructions:

DSC02555.jpg

Wheels and tires. I sanded all four tires to give them a used look, then applied the kit supplied decals, then laid on a coat of Testors dullcoat lacquer. I wanted to go a different route with the wheels and brakes this round, so i drilled out the centers of the wheels and sanded them to the correct and most accurate circle i could muster. I then applied decals and then Enamel clear. The center locking hubs are attached to the brake rotor assemblies because i will be displaying the model with the wheels off. The calipers were tamiya clear orange over silver leaf to match reference photos, and the PE rotors were touched up in the slots with a sharpie.

I hope to find a good amount of reference photos to obtain the most realistic wheel wells i can possibly get. Hint hint, i will need help with reference material!

DSC02556.jpg

DSC02559.jpg

Roll cage assembled, sits level and is mostly cleaned up. Will need to fill gaps and clean it all up. Will also reference the real car for weld spots so i can try to duplicate them.

DSC02557.jpg

DSC02558.jpg

Eduard PE seatbelts (why can't they make 5-point harnesses??? *sigh*)

DSC02560.jpg

undercarriage:

DSC02562.jpg

After being in chat with Wheelman, I was glad to find that the real car has on-board pneumatic floor jacks for the pit stops, so I drilled out small holes for the on-board pneumatic jacks. I then realized the holes were too large for the shafts i was going to make for it, so i sleeved them with rubber tubes, and now the shafts slide in snug. This alone will not only make it easier to display the model without the wheels on, but it also adds a touch of realism. The NICEST part about where they are, is the front ones match perfectly to the interior tub right under the cylinders that push out the jacks. The back one also goes into a slot that will not be seen once installed. It's almost like the kit was created to have this done!

DSC02563.jpg

That's all i have done so far. I plan on using SMS carbon fiber for the undercarriage. I just picked up solvaset for the first time and hope it goes on easy. SMS carbon fiber will be found among other spots as well. This kit is looking to be pretty fun, and i will be working on it diligently!

Thanks for looking B)

• 2 weeks later...

i got a little further on this. I found a nice detail set for the kit that will include even better brakes, and a lot more goodies that i just ordered from HLJ.

the pan i didn't want perfect, considering that if the car really is racing it doesn't look all perfect and clean.. so i did SMS carbon with dull coat. As seen, the on-board pneumatic jacks are deployed as if it will be displayed wheels off.

DSC02565.jpg

roll cage is painted, and is still being worked on.

DSC02567.jpg

seat was masked off and sprayed with "faux fabrix" spray paint which gives the textured look, along with eduard seat belts in.

DSC02567.jpg

controls box done up in the kit carbon per directions.

DSC02569.jpg

the interior pan is drying right now.

more updates to come!

• 2 weeks later...

oh, what have i gotten myself into? lol

a nice little brown box showed up from Japan today.

I opened it up, and it was the detail kit for this model.

If you thought the brakes looked good before, all i can say is you're all in for a treat.

Here's a pic of what came in:

PEset.jpg

Let's just say that the brakes from this kit consist of about 28 to 30 individual pieces per brake. It also came with seatbelt hardware, but no seat belt material. i figure i can use some from spare material from the Tamiya FXX. now i just have to take out the eduard seat belts and hope for the best.

oh, what have i gotten myself into? lol

a nice little brown box showed up from Japan today.

I opened it up, and it was the detail kit for this model.

If you thought the brakes looked good before, all i can say is you're all in for a treat.

Here's a pic of what came in:

PEset.jpg

Let's just say that the brakes from this kit consist of about 28 to 30 individual pieces per brake. It also came with seatbelt hardware, but no seat belt material. i figure i can use some from spare material from the Tamiya FXX. now i just have to take out the eduard seat belts and hope for the best.

Those PE parts are insane! I have a hard enough time with the wirelooms and carb linkage, that would make me mental!

tell me about it! i will make sure to get photos of progress. the instructions indicate that i will need to cut away some of the body parts to replace them with PE bits, which i'm kind of nervous about.

• 2 weeks later...

alright! i have made some decent progress with this build!

brakes coming together:

DSC02594.jpg

making some interior stuff, plumbing for the on-board pneumatic jacks, and also wiring and wire loom, etc.

DSC02599.jpg

DSC02600.jpg

PE pedals

DSC02601.jpg

5 point harness using seat belt material from the tamiya Ferrari FXX detail kit.

DSC02602.jpg

front brakes are done with the exception of the calipers.

DSC02604.jpg

DSC02605.jpg

i have one more brake to finish, but the one side is nearly done with the exception of the calipers

DSC02608.jpg

cage installed, interior i think is as done as i'm going to get it

DSC02609.jpg

DSC02610.jpg

DSC02611.jpg

DSC02613.jpg

DSC02614.jpg

most of what's left is modifying the body with the PE replacement pieces, which i assume are meant to resemble the width and depth of the actual parts they depict. Once i get the body all done with it's metal bits, then it's off to metal primer, then regular primer, then follow up with painting.

Thanks for looking!

i dont like to correct people on their builds but the drivers side rotor is in the wrong direction. i dont want you to get too far before you realize. the build looks awesome. all those brake parts make my head spin just thinking about them. i cant wait to see this finished.

• 2 weeks later...

the chassis is 98% done. The front of the undercarriage needs to be touched up to make it look nicer than the wrinkles.

The body work was done, PE parts replaced body parts, primed and painted tamiya gloss aluminum and italian red.

DSC02650.jpg

DSC02648.jpg

DSC02647.jpg

DSC02653.jpg

so this weekend will be spent mostly on decals. the final stages!

decals are done for the most part.

to do:

windows

window trim

hood pins

trunk pins

spoiler paint/decal

a couple more coats of clear

wet sand to perfection

to be replaced:

headlight covers

lost a side mirror due to carpet eating it.

a couple decals (headlights, front 'bridgestone')

DSC02657.jpg

DSC02656.jpg

DSC02654.jpg

• 7 years later...