Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kitbash 87 T Bird

Scalper

Hello.. This is a project that i think will look cool.. I will be taking the 55 chassis and adding the 87 t bird body and interior. I want to keep the hood stock. love the lines. so thinking of a twin turbo set up for this one. still not sure if I will be using the stock t-bird engine or the one from the 55.

All Comments Welcome.

DSC00378.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

Thank you

'87 T-birds make great race/pro street cars. However, you might be saving a lot of work to use this kit as a base...the hard work is done for you already.

tn_REV-7167.jpg

I would have to agree with you Mark. I would love to have that Kit. I would build it right out of the box.

With this one was thinking as much stock body work as possible except for the Obvious goody's I want to add. And the Loud Paint. :lol:

Edited by Scalper

I get it. I just wanted to be sure you knew that one was out there. They're old now, but easy and cheap to find. Hate to see you do tons of bodywork if it was just a "didn't know" thing. Can't wait to see yours taking (more) shape.

Yes this one will test my skills. The Tub from the 55 fits almost perfect. Might cut half of the t-bird chassis and us the front. not sure yet. This will test my skill level and patience. could take awhile.

• 7 months later...

I would have to agree with you Mark. I would love to have that Kit. I would build it right out of the box.

With this one was thinking as much stock body work as possible except for the Obvious goody's I want to add. And the Loud Paint. B)

I wish that kit would be repopped (even without decals). It makes a great donor kit for other Ford-based pro-stocks. You can get original issues of the kit on eBay, but the scalpers want a LOT of money for them. I recently got one to serve just as a pattern for my own homemade chassis, and for test fitting the motor and tires in other kits.

I get it. I just wanted to be sure you knew that one was out there. They're old now, but easy and cheap to find. Hate to see you do tons of bodywork if it was just a "didn't know" thing. Can't wait to see yours taking (more) shape.

Easy, yes, but cheap, not so much. Think $30-$50...

I like the idea of this But I might suggest dumping the T bird Engine I don't think that little 2.3 would be enough to power a big bad drag car

Look for a Ross Gibson resin motor - he makes a lot of different ones including a pro-stock boss 429.

I now have the front suspension and that completed. Trying to figure out what wheels to put on. Here are some ideas I have. had a hard time keeping the wheels straight and that for mock up . But it should give me a basic idea.

DSC00545.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00551.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

Tell me what rims you like best.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comment,

The wires are from fake looking i-pod headphones they look more red then what it looks in the picture.

I think I will be with wheel set #5. The back tires are nascar slicks and will fit perfectly. not as shown in mock up.

Block will be either Semi-Gloss Black (or Light Gray, depending on year and application), oil pan will be the same as the block, head will be left natural Cast Iron, exhaust manifold will be rusted Iron or burnt metal, Valve cover will be Aluminum (most guys re-shoot it either Gloss Black or a contrasting color and polish out the fins/logo), intake manifold (both upper and lower) is a natural sand-cast Aluminum. Turbo (being an IHI-Werner T3 .60-.48) compressor side will be Aluminum, with the center Cast Iron, and the turbine housing/wastegate/downpipe housing being rusted Iron to burnt metal. Distributor cap was usually the Gray FORD unit, wires either Gray or Black, and the front dress cover that Eggshell/Plasic Black color. Pullies were Gloss or Semi-Gloss Black.

Thanks Whale for the info, I out slicks in the back to make this car look like at would be a $200 car on the game show pass time on SPEED

This is what it looks with the wheels mounted. Next stop body shop.

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

Thanks for looking,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did some work on the interior over the weekend. I just have the base color done so far. detail and dash ect. to come. This was the first time I glued and sanded the seats before painting. I decided to paint the seats right after just in case I did not have to use putty. Paint covered the seams pretty well. Well I had to share. Thanks for looking.

DSC00578.jpg