Model Cars Magazine Forum

out of the box builds

I know i cant be the only one.

I dont know how many times ive tried to build a model straight out of the box without modifying/altering any parts. I just cant do it.

Anybody else have this problem? or am i just going insane??? :D:D

The closest ive ever been to building straight out of the box was with amt current reisue of the ford starliner, beautifull kit, just fell together i got it painted flat black all shined up and a purple metalflake roof then it got smushed, i had everything built and ready for final assembley to B) the only thing i modifyed was the suspension, i dropped it till it just wouldnt go any lower and parts box wheels.

Ill definatley have to get another!

Jeff

I know i cant be the only one.

I dont know how many times ive tried to build a model straight out of the box without modifying/altering any parts. I just cant do it.

Anybody else have this problem? or am i just going insane??? :lol::lol:

Jeff

Well, Jeff, if you're going insane, I'll be right next door to you in the looney bin!! :lol::lol::lol:

It just seems no matter what, I have to have an engine from this and wheels from that all put in one build. The closest I've ever been to an out of the box build is my 09 Challenger, but I got plans to modify at least 2 more of them other than this out of box build.

HPIM1615.jpg

One of my wilder ideas, I decided Revell's 34 Ford Cabriolet, which is a decent kit by itself, just wasn't good enough, so I had to stuff a blown Hemi under the hood and big, fat Mickey Thompson tires in the back!

HPIM1904.jpg

And yes I did say the blower is under the hood!

HPIM1905.jpg

I build my fair share of trucks, too, but even those seem like they can't calm my kitbashing and modifying mind. :lol: I just can't build anything the way it should be!

HPIM2155.jpg

Of course, my biggest drawback, I just seem to modify them to the point I don't finish them, even though I'm working on changing that! :lol:

I hear ya! I just can't seem to build ANYTHING straight out of the box with a few exceptions..And they were: A few aircraft that I was building for the specific purpose of entering them in an OOB class and 2 car models that I built specifically for review articles in Internet Modeler! Otherwise I always seem to just HAVE to improve upon something in the model! LOL

Yea, even the snap kits I've built have had the occasional tweak here or there have been like that. The AMT 2009 Challenger R/T I'm working on right now is going to have a few slight, very simple, and no putty required tweaks to make it look a weee bit more like a '70 Challenger than the car already does.

I would have to say that is it a funtion more of the kit than the builder B) If you get a well enough produced kit, building it out of the box can be a great challenge to any builder. Of course you really need to like the subject as well. If the kit is ######, then it begs to be corrected. If the kit is correct, then there is less of a tendancy to modify the build.

super7oob.jpg

BMWZ3.jpg

360high.jpg

Then there are some things that you just can't keep your hands off of.

avleftfrnt.jpg

ramarossa1.jpg

I know just how you feel, thats why I have never built a "factory" muscle car or sports car yet. I wouldnt build it that way in real life so why lie with plastic. My work bench is an extension of my garage...has nothing to do with the chalenge or quality of a kit to me, just the love of the game.

It also goes long with my answer to my wifes questions of " why do you need another model project?"........ " I dont, I need more parts"

I would have to say that is it a funtion more of the kit than the builder :D If you get a well enough produced kit, building it out of the box can be a great challenge to any builder. Of course you really need to like the subject as well. If the kit is ######, then it begs to be corrected. If the kit is correct, then there is less of a tendancy to modify the build.

super7oob.jpg

BMWZ3.jpg

360high.jpg

Then there are some things that you just can't keep your hands off of.

avleftfrnt.jpg

ramarossa1.jpg

I disagree. The reason I "don't" build box stock is no matter what the subject is, it's boring to me. Don't get me wrong, you box stock builds are beautiful! Just "I" can't do that. All or most models are based on a real subject. ok well I want to build something that doesn't exist! I don't care how well or how bad a model is produced, I want to change it. Quality of the model doesn't matter cause I'm gonna bash it anyway.. Of course the better the quality, the easier it is to bash. I've bought models that have cost over $100,(though that doesn't happen often cause I can't afford it) and cut them up with no second thought......I think its a function(or malfunction) of the builders brain.....lol...Joe

Edited by Interceptor001

What is this "box stock" that you speak of? Even my 1:1 are modified before I get them home. Everything I build or drive has some mods on them, I am the weirdo that modified a Lincoln Mark VII at one time ;) .

i wont buy a stock car, my mottos always ben "stock is boring"

my last daily was a 84' vette with a soubd system that would shake filings loose an bust ear drums,i traded a guy that for a 1990 chevy 3500 extended cab dually 1ton,its been lowered about 2" up front and about 3" out back, i plan on putting in a changable system and slamming it as far as i can go.